2023-24 NBA Regular Season: Notes/Tidbits/Updates etc.

JayBirdHawk

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

It’s not fair I tell ya! Boston takes an Atlanta guy in Jaylen and wins it!

Any Bostonian ballers we could steal from them? No I don’t want Matt Damon or Ben Flecker.

I want that piece of $hit with us. :jesus:

I'll take him because we can use him, but I'm gonna have to take 3 showers a day to wash off the stank. 

1 minute ago, BangHolman said:

I'm happy for Al. Good for him. It should solidify his spot in the Hall of Fame, even if he shouldn't have needed it anyways.

All in green font Alice ain’t going to no hall ever.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Exactly.  I hate the Celtics because of the history and the fans but i like almost everyone on the team.  Hawks could have had Derrick White and we'd be in a much different situation right now.  

Derrick White was able to full a very specific role next to two Allstars in Tatum and Brown, then you add Jrue to that mix. It's easier to not eff up your role when you have limited expectations and can just master the task you are given. Teams aren't selling out to stop him.

• Like 3

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Derrick White was able to full a very specific role next to two Allstars in Tatum and Brown, then you add Jrue to that mix. It's easier to not eff up your role when you have limited expectations and can just master the task you are given. Teams aren't selling out to stop him.

You can see some glimpses of chucker in there too, which would probably be far more pronounced here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

All in green font Alice ain’t going to no hall ever.

Considering it's a BASKETBALL HOF and not just a NBA HOF, his accomplishments at the Collegiate, NBA, and International level make him an easy in.

• Like 3

• Moderators
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

No doubt but he would have been a much better fit for us than DJ and many folks saw that when White was traded.   Better defender, stronger, and better versatility on offense.  And a much lower price tag.   Sure hindsight but there were plenty who wanted him here even when he was traded.   They want to talk about Hawks DNA?  should have gotten that guy. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

Considering it's a BASKETBALL HOF and not just a NBA HOF, his accomplishments at the Collegiate, NBA, and International level make him an easy in.

Basketball Reference  has him at a 12% chance, updated for the ‘ship.  His peak was way too short and even then not near most HOF’s.  

I think of a Shawn Marion-type career as a comp to Al, who has a surprising 76% chance per BBRef, not sure how voters plan to vote on him in coming years.  He has 3 MVP placement finishes (Al has none) and twice as many DPOY candidacies as Al.

40 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

I don’t recognize those. 

Fine but him next to Jimmer Fredette in the pic shoot.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Did the shine come off Luka for some of y'all.  Or was he hurt and had no help?  

Nah, I couldn’t care less what the media or fair weather fans think.  He drug a roster chock full of bums outside Kyrie, Gafford, and Lively to the Finals leading the postseason in points, rebounds, assists, and steals.  He needs to spend the entire summer on defensive drills instead of eating bread loaves and drinking beers but he’ll certainly be back.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Nah, I couldn’t care less what the media or fair weather fans think.  He drug a roster chock full of bums outside Kyrie, Gafford, and Lively to the Finals leading the postseason in points, rebounds, assists, and steals.  He needs to spend the entire summer on defensive drills instead of eating bread loaves and drinking beers but he’ll certainly be back.

This is disrespectful.  Them dudes played well through most of the playoffs.

We can't talk about how DAL built an ideal team around their chuckers when they win.  Then call them trash when the chuckers don't deliver.

I know you're better than that, hillbilly.  So I'm not mad ... I'm just disappointed.  😥

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

This is disrespectful.  Them dudes played well through most of the playoffs.

We can't talk about how DAL built an ideal team around their chuckers when they win.  Then call them trash when the chuckers don't deliver.

I know you're better than that, hillbilly.  So I'm not mad ... I'm just disappointed.  😥

It's almost like how the other pieces play matters far more than just 1 star. 

Interesting development! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Celtics will soon offer Jayson Tatum a $315 million extension

Wojnarowski explained Tatum is on the precipice of landing a five-year, $315 million extension, which will be the largest in league history. Notably, Tatum’s Celtics teammate, Jaylen Brown, has the largest contract in NBA history at this point, although Wojnarowski said the former’s impending deal will “eclipse” it by approximately $30 million. Assuming Tatum takes home the title this year, there will not be much missing from his resume.

via Bleacher Report

18 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah.  the excuses for Luka are always interesting.  

Luka made it to the NBA finals. But he lost to a better team. The real lesson here is in team building. Many naysayers over the years said it's time to break up the Brown/Tatum pairing, that they had peaked, etc. Wrong. They needed better players around them. Stevens made brilliant moves adding high level guys like Jrue Holliday, Derrick White, Kristap Porzingus, Al Horford. Actually good players, not just a team with a couple stars and no name and/or washed up back ups as you so often see. But viable chess pieces that can be deployed in a variety of ways for favorable match ups. Truly an absolute master class in team building by Brad Stevens. There is simply no denying it. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Luka didn’t have a great finals but ultimately the Celtics were the best team in the regular season and finals favorites to start the year and the Mavs were lucky to be the 4th seed in the West and avoid the Nuggets.  Luka is a young guy.  This was a great postseason for him and the team.  No shame losing to a better club.

For the Celtics, I am very happy like others that Brown earned the Finals MVP if Boston was going to win.  I will always hate the Celtics but not that Wheeler Wildcat.  For Al, it doesn’t make his exit from the team any less ****ty but I respect what he did with us and it is an impressive performance from him at his age.  Most bigs are fully cooked at this stage in their career.  I agree he has a shot at the HOF between his 2 titles at Florida, NBA ring, and his general high quality NBA career.  Being born outside the US is also a big boon to the basketball HOF for some reason.  He doesn’t have the peak level of performance you’d expect from a HOFer (usually they put up massive counting stats and have a laundry list of All-Star performances) but there are plenty of Celtic role players in the HOF as well.  Getting the title in Boston is going to help his case a lot more than winning in Denver.  Sad but true.