• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, warcore said:

I really want Herb Jones with any deal involving DJ... and it sounds like that's not the deal that's being made. 

Prepared to be disappointed. 

I love Herb Jones (I kinda have added the Pels to my watchlist of teams I cheer for last season and this season) but there are other good defensive starting caliber SGs we could go get. Grimes from NYK is one.

• Like 1

• Admin
6 hours ago, Sothron said:

I love Herb Jones (I kinda have added the Pels to my watchlist of teams I cheer for last season and this season) but there are other good defensive starting caliber SGs we could go get. Grimes from NYK is one.

Jones would be a get but Murphy III is the prize here … that’s the perfect deal … go make that happen … it literally improves us … Grimes is nothing special 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

We can go with the Larry Brown/Iverson model. Just let Trae have total control of the offense and surround him with role playing defensive minded bigs and wings. 

That model won a bunch of rings and stuff, right?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, txsting said:

That model won a bunch of rings and stuff, right?

Well, hopefully, if we did it,  we will get to the finals and not have to face 2 mount rushmore of basketball types.

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That was kinda the plan to start with trading for Capela, drafting long big wings in Reddish and Hunter, followed by OO and JJ. Just didn't follow through on the rest of it. 

When you think about it...

• Capela = Defensive.
  • Snell = Defensive
  • Solo = Defensive 
  • Dunn or Rondo = Defensive
  • Dre = Defensive
  • OO = Defensive

We had gone the route of getting defensive pieces around Trae.  The problem is that it was half hearted.  Still had JC (who wasn't a bad defensive player in moments), Kev, and Cam.

Then the thought was that we can be defensive with Three point shooters so we picked up Gallo and Bogi. 

The question becomes... playing time.   Cap is the only defensive player that we could play a lot of playing time in this mix.   Solo eventually played some PT in the playoffs.   But for the most part, the non-defensive more modern NBA players played more.  Then we made a shift to get more modern and less defensive ... even though we went out and got Murray. 

So the real question is are we willing to sell out for all defense especially in the starting 5?

If it's DJ, Dre, JJ, Cap/OO... then that's a starting 5 that should be mostly defensive.

We looked good last night playing:   Trae, DJ, JJ, OO, Clint.    The big lineup.  I don't know what the true answer is... but we shall see.

4 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

After reading up on Grimes, he makes a big defensive impact at POA.  Plus he can shoot.  I see the fit, but we still need some star power somewhere.  

How do you think we get Grimes?   DJ?  Klutch/Rose... will be Nawl...

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That was kinda the plan to start with trading for Capela, drafting long big wings in Reddish and Hunter, followed by OO and JJ. Just didn't follow through on the rest of it. 

The main issue is none of the draftees have exceeded their draft profiles on defense where they are in the discussion for top 10/15/20 with regards to defense. They are all after thoughts. Nobody is scared of these guys.

Definitely was the plan to have two high impact, elite defenders with serious size next to Trae with Cam and Hunter; a solid big and rebounder in CC; and an agile big who could guard multiple positions in OO.  Problem has been that Cam washed out, Dre has been hurt too much and not shut down enough, OO has only had moments of high impact on defense, and those all leave CC’s limitations more exposed.  

Right now we are running DM and Mat(t)hews instead of Cam and Hunter and OO is outright outmatched some games, is solid some games, and is rarely locking someone down.  That combination cannot ever bring what TS intended for us.  We need Dre back and both him and OO to have more highlight games (think OO disrupting Giannias and  Hunter locking down Luka) to go with the solid affairs.  I don’t think DM can deliver the All-NBA defense we hoped for in his current role (I can at least hope for a big jump from Dre and OO).

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

How do you think we get Grimes?   DJ?  Klutch/Rose... will be Nawl...

I really think the Murray agreed on deal with NY, if it exists, is for Grimes + Fournier(salary filler) and picks.  After they traded Quickley and Barrett he is the only young player they have worth mentioning.  Who else would NY trade that fits young player plus picks?  

After reading about Grimes, I am warming up to it.  Murray is a steep price to pay for our POA defender, but we haven't seen Trae paired with a solid defensive SG ever.  Will at least be interesting to see the impact.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Definitely was the plan to have two high impact, elite defenders with serious size next to Trae with Cam and Hunter; a solid big and rebounder in CC; and an agile big who could guard multiple positions in OO.  Problem has been that Cam washed out, Dre has been hurt too much and not shut down enough, OO has only had moments of high impact on defense, and those all leave CC’s limitations more exposed.  

They definitely made a solid attempt.  Evidence was the 27-11 streak followed by an ECF run.  Poor follow up. 

It definitely kills me that we fell for our own hype and I saw the need for upgrades.  It feels like the Dennis Green rant, "We are who they thought they were!  And we let them away!"

The posts kill me even more now that were saying: JC and Cam were better than Sabonis, Siakam, Ant, etc.  We should keep our super dynasty team together!