• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I've been watching the 2024 NBA Draft class and it's been... weaker than usual

NBASupes

I don’t know where to begin but that evaluation of the 2023 and 2024 classes is WAY different than mine.

I’m sort of in shock how you see things. But whatever… I digress.

Edited by theheroatl

7 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I’ll start with one.. Scoot Henderson is limited by his disaster defense.

Kemba Walker anyone?

Yeah.  I wasn’t extremely high on the 23 class outside of Wemby.  I’m not a big Scoot fan.  I’m not an Auser fan.  Amen is OK but not a star.  The guy I wanted the most for the Hawks is Jarace Walker.  

Alex Sarr would be second to Wemby for me in the past two drafts.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I’ll start with one.. Scoot Henderson is limited by his disaster defense.

Kemba Walker anyone?

I don't feel indifferent about Scoot. He was always going to be a 2-3 year development prospect in my eyes but the floor was still high enough that he would get PT. It was rough. The 5th worst WAR of all time for anyone who played legit minutes. The upside is still there. 

Scoot was #2 last year. I didn't change anything even if he struggled like hell. I keep this list true to the scout. Even if I feel indifferent now for some: 

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2289896

If there is someone I probably would change, it would be Anthony Black. He just didn't look good in the NBA to me. The defense translated but offensively, he was a nightmare. I didn't see that in college. I saw someone that could help off the bench but shooting is so damn important in the NBA for a guard. You really can't underrate it and it's why I am a tad low on Castle who I think is a freak of nature talent. 

Scoot's scout: 

Scoot Henderson
PG | G League 6'2" 195 lbs G League 19.3 yrs 21.1 PTS 6.1 REB 7.6 AST 0.5 BLK 1.4 STL
Scoot was a tier 1 guy for me, but his season just wasn’t good enough. I am one who thinks the G league is far more real than the college game for translating, and Scoot translated but he really didn’t take the leap I expected and saw in the showcase. For me, his effort can be elite, and it can be awful. I just want to see a lot more consistency. That said, he’s still special. I just don’t know if he’s better than Ja Morant at PG.

That said, I do think he has a lot of great qualities, and he will be much better in the NBA where his teammates can shoot, and he’s not always outgunned. He’s going to be a four-category guy with PTS/REB/AST/BLK. He just needs to improve his discipline on defense, it reminds me of JJJ where he’s wild on defense. He also needs to finish must better in traffic but once again, he had no space with his squad. I think his upside is unique, he reminds me a lot of Gary Payton on offense with tremendous explosiveness like Steve Francis, but his defense reminds me of Anthony Edwards. Great defensive upside but is a bad defensive player right now. He’s not ready right now but he will be at some point.

Here's a video on his season. I watched a good bit of his games so I agree with this. As I said in the scout. He's not ready right now. Patience needed

One of the things I like about a potential Sarr/Young pairing is like Jalen Johnson the Hawks can run their offense thru Sarr.  I'm not buying into anyone saying that Sarr has to work on his offense.  The dude already can ball on that end.  With Capela you just had the pick and roll. With Sarr, he can set the pick and read the defense and step back and pop.  Pick and pop.  The ball is in his hand and now you have options. Sarr has point guard attributes. He essentially becomes the point guard.  Trae can run through the defense and back out to the wing.  The defense doesn't know whether to defend the roll or stay home with Sarr. Meanwhile you got Jalen on the wing waiting to cut or step out.  Its soo good the Hawks are gonna mess this up.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

One of the things I like about a potential Sarr/Young pairing is like Jalen Johnson the Hawks can run their offense thru Sarr.  I'm not buying into anyone saying that Sarr has to work on his offense.  The dude already can ball on that end.  With Capela you just had the pick and roll. With Sarr, he can set the pick and read the defense and step back and pop.  Pick and pop.  The ball is in his hand and now you have options. Sarr has point guard attributes. He essentially becomes the point guard.  Trae can run through the defense and back out to the wing.  The defense doesn't know whether to defend the roll or stay home with Sarr. Meanwhile you got Jalen on the wing waitig to cut or step out.  Its soo good the Hawks are gonna mess this up.

Sarr can PNP.  He can play short roll.  He can take a majority of the NBA centers off the dribble and beat them in isolation.  Does he need polish?   Yes, as does EVERY ROOKIE that is drafted.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

@AHF

@thecampster

@HawkingAwesome

@Sothron

@benhillboy

@marco102

This is why I keep saying. This draft ain't bad, it's solid but I would have taken 9 players from last year 1st overall this year. 

Double

lol my face was balled up until I saw where you adjusted Jaime.  

Lively obviously is in an optimal fit but seeing how Luka has led two totally different rosters to the Conference Finals it isn’t surprising.  

Brandon Miller really came on late, a great sign for his progression, he’s definately on my radar to bust out.  

Podziemski was so solid it was the first season in Steph’s career his off court per 100 was notably negative.

The draft is such a crap shoot, skills translation, measurables, and fit are all questions I can live with in a #1 pick.  Makeup, conditioning, and intelligence I cannot (looking at you Mount Zion). Hopefully the Hawks’ selection hits on most of those.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Lively obviously is in an optimal fit but seeing how Luka has led two totally different rosters to the Conference Finals it isn’t surprising.  

Brandon Miller really came on late, a great sign for his progression, he’s definately on my radar to bust out.  

Podziemski was so solid it was the first season in Steph’s career his off court per 100 was notably negative.

The draft is such a crap shoot, skills translation, measurables, and fit are all questions I can live with in a #1 pick.  Makeup, conditioning, and intelligence I cannot (looking at you Mount Zion). Hopefully the Hawks’ selection hits on most of those.

Jaime was a draft day mover. Once he went to Miami. He shot up my board. I loved the athlete and his mental approach but his game really only fits Miami and New York

Lively was a draft mover too although the tier didnt change. Going to Atlanta, LAC, or Dallas is optimal for him. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Jaime was a draft day mover. Once he went to Miami. He shot up my board. I loved the athlete and his mental approach but his game really only fits Miami and New York

Lively was a draft mover too although the tier didnt change. Going to Atlanta, LAC, or Dallas is optimal for him. 

Lively is nice but I think he's in for a welcome to the NBA series this week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

To me, the best situation for a raw prospect in the NBA right now is

Portland and Washington 

The best situation for a polished prospect is

San Antonio and Denver

The best situation for a PG prospect 

Minnesota and Phoenix 

The best situation for a SG prospect 

Sacramento and Utah

The best situation for a SF prospect

San Antonio and Houston

The best situation for a PF prospect 

Portland and Washington 

The best situation for a C prospect 

Atlanta and Chicago

Best for a PnR ball handler

Utah

Best for a PnR roller 

Atlanta

Best for a post up player

Sacramento 

Best for a big who wants touches in the paint 

Atlanta

Best for a shooter

Memphis 

Team with the biggest need for talent 

Washington/Portland

Team with the biggest need of production 

Atlanta/Chicago

Best player in the draft 

Zach Edey

Best consensus player by media

Z. Risacher 

Most upside 

Sarr

Highest floor

Edey/Risacher 

Who could be a surprise player

Terrance Shannon Jr 

Who could be the steal like Sengun was

Tyler Kolek

Who's the role player that could shock people. 

https://www.tankathon.com/players/pj-hall

PJ Hall. He's not gonna put up crazy stats but score, shoot, PnR roll, and he's a freak athlete. Over 100 BSPARQ. He's one of those guys I think teams should take seriously in the NBA. 

https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/pj-hall-casserole-player-the-prospect

He doesn't project to be more than a backup but I think he could be a steal in the 2nd round and wouldn't be shocked if he moved to the first. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I really don't think most people on here appreciate the time and energy Supes spends on his draft breakdowns and prospect scouting. This isn't some random drive by evaluation he has with Edey. There's research into it.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

How do all you feel about Nic Claxton being the floor for Sarr? I can see it, and I'm good with it

Nic Claxton is a player the Hawks would be thrilled to have with the blocking ability.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, theheroatl said:

How do all you feel about Nic Claxton being the floor for Sarr? I can see it, and I'm good with it

Nic Claxton is a player the Hawks would be thrilled to have with the blocking ability.

Sarr has a better offensive base.  Claxton isn’t a guy who you would want to give the ball to.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KB21 said:

Sarr can PNP.  He can play short roll.  He can take a majority of the NBA centers off the dribble and beat them in isolation.  Does he need polish?   Yes, as does EVERY ROOKIE that is drafted.  

The best thing about Sarr offensively right now is that walking in, he can probably take most centers off the dribble to the basket.

i believe the shooting and playmaking is a work in progress however. Yes  he’s capable but like you stated he needs polishing there.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Claxton out of UGA as a prospect?

Even prospect Claxton played like a big. Also, Sarr is just a lot better at the big wing stuff. Even though Claxton was really good at this, he wasn't close to the switchable and defending in space as Sarr is as a prospect. Claxton played like a big. He wasn't soft and he didn't like toughness. He was just weak out of UGA. 

Defensively, I don't believe it's a bad comp, just Sarr is superior at the big wing defensive marks. 

Offensively, both were pretty bad. Claxton strength was passing and Sarr is transition offense. Claxton played a lot more like a big but was bad and Sarr played like a big wing forced to be a big and was bad. Sarr shows miles more potential offensively. 

Sarr potential is way too high for the comp.

Sarr is a tier 4 low end with tremendous potential like Wiseman. 

A tier ahead of JJ. If Sarr was drafted in the range of JJ, I would think he's a steal but drafted in the top 5 is really tough when expectations is so high. Wiseman learned the hard way and I had Wiseman floor while at the bottom higher than Sarr. JJ floor was extremely low too, Sarr floor is a tad higher than JJ as a prospect while his ceiling is much higher. At the end of the day, so much goes into this.