I've been watching the 2024 NBA Draft class and it's been... weaker than usual

NBASupes

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Mikey is radicalized right before our eyes. 😄

It's ok @Mikey.  Most of us are just shaking our heads and choosing to converse with those that are actually having conversations.  

Who? This Mikey guy came onto the scene 🎬 but I wasn’t there that day.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Why can’t they both fit? Why do you need to take the most left field approach and say the best defensive prospect in the class CANT fit 

Im probably done commenting on this subject but it’s ridiculous that you can type out multiple times a player is already a bust before he’s even been drafted let alone say they don’t fit. The Atlanta Hawks have one of the worst defenses in the nba. A player in consideration for 1 is the best defensive prospect in the class but he doesn’t fit. GIVE ME A BREAK 

Bad at post defense 

Bad at drop defense

Lacks physicality

Doesn't seem to embrace contact in the paint 

More of a help side defender 

Reactive defender, I prefer instinctive for 5s. 

Yeah, I think he's gonna be a shitty 5 on D is my issue with Sarr.

Offensively, where do I start. He's not good at anything but transition offense. 

Below average at everything but does flash a lot which really gives me faith in his development if you are patience 

Can't shoot consistently. 

Dribble is rudimentary but he's 7+ so that's a massive positive long term. 

Post offense is shit

50% on layups

Doesn't handle contact well

Inconsistent screener.

Average feel but hes 19 so we gotta be realistic 

roll IQ is average

plays like wants to be a big wing which is actually where I see him long term.

Doesn't have anywhere on the court you can say is his spot or thing yet. 

While he is a good vertical threat, lacks the size to handle the dunkers spot

Yeah man, I don't see a lot to love day 1. The upside is crazy tho!

Edited by NBASupes

I am not Sarr bad, I am Sarr bad without a plan and I don't believe that plan is possible with him being projected around 1. 

The JJ plan worked for JJ because he was picked at 19. 

He also had no expectations. Sarr has massive expectations just due to his draft range. I don't know how many times I have to make that point clear and Mikey point was why can't they both be ready to help defensively. 

1. Sarr is position blocked by JJ and I don't believe he's as good at this moment as Gueye. 

2. He's gonna be a shit 5 right now and he will likely always be ass at the 5. The issue with that is the 5 is our biggest weakness by a county mile and that's the only position he can have day 1 PT. He's too raw to be a 3 right now. 

[]

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

[] a debate of facts.  []

A debate is when people bring a different view point, which you have, but the issue is there are no new facts being presented. We know that you think Sarr will be a bust and Edey will be the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

There is no naunce in the conversation.  If someone says something positive about Sarr, your posts have a counterpoint of negativity with no way for Sarr to improve on your expectations with the Hawks, but he can with other teams. 

What are we supposed to debate? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The thing is, I am not Sarr bad, I am Sarr bad without a plan and I don't believe that plan is possible with him being projected around 1. 

The JJ plan worked for JJ because he was picked at 19. 

He also had no expectations. Sarr has massive expectations just due to his draft range. I don't know how many times I have to make that point clear and Mikey point was why can't they both be ready to help defensively. 

1. Sarr is position blocked by JJ and I don't believe he's as good at this moment as Gueye. 

2. He's gonna be a shit 5 right now and he will likely always be ass at the 5. The issue with that is the 5 is our biggest weakness by a county mile and that's the only position he can have day 1 PT. He's too raw to be a 3 right now. 

@AHF

My stance is he will be a good defensive presence at the 4. JJ can play the 3. I could keep elaborating and explaining but that's firmly what I believe.

We haven't had even a decent defender at 4 since Millsap. Its the best defensive upgrade available and we need defense like the desert needs water

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

My stance is he will be a good defensive presence at the 4. JJ can play the 3. I could keep elaborating and explaining but that's firmly what I believe.

We haven't had even a decent defender at 4 since Millsap. Its the best defensive upgrade available and we need defense like the desert needs water.

My stance is JJ at the 3 is a disaster and it's Trae/Murray Part 2 but with players who are 10x worse. 

I am sold on JJ as a 4. Not as a perimeter player. 

I believe JJ is a decent defender right now. He's not as good as Sap on D but he's good enough that he's decent. 

Edited by NBASupes

Just now, NBASupes said:

My stance is JJ at the 3 is a disaster and it's Trae/Murray Part 2 but with players who are 10x worse. 

I am sold on JJ as a 4. Not as a perimeter player. 

JJ is more of a wing than a post player.. True or not?

You really want JJ taking Giannis?

3 hours ago, marco102 said:

A debate is when people bring a different view point, which you have, but the issue is there are no new facts being presented. We know that you think Sarr will be a bust and Edey will be the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

There is no naunce in the conversation.  If someone says something positive about Sarr, your posts have a counterpoint of negativity with no way for Sarr to improve on your expectations with the Hawks, but he can with other teams. 

What are we supposed to debate? 

That's not my take at all. [] Saying I think Edey is the greatest since slice bread when I have him as 10th for prospects in a combined class of 23 and 24, how is that possible? 

I have constantly praised Sarr for what he is and I don't for what he's not. Me being sold on him being a bust is much deeper than, he just thinks he's a bust. 

[]

3 hours ago, theheroatl said:

JJ is more of a wing than a post player.. True or not?

You really want JJ taking Giannis?

JJ is a tweener to me like Smoove. He doesn't have a true position but 4 is where tweeners play. 

Yes, he's guarded Giannis way better than anyone else for us but OO.

I prefer the tweener than the JC type all day 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It just sucks on the year we get the one pick there are no elite prospects. One scout said Sarr would go 7 to 10 most years, and Dereck Lively would go #1 this year. 

I honestly think he would be a reach at 7-10 most years. This is not a good draft. I don't know how many times I have to say it and that includes Clingan and Edey but they OPTIMALLY fit what we do. Sarr doesn't and when I explain why, I am not hating on Sarr. 

Someone even said, people are only hating on Sarr cause the Hawks got the #1 pick. I lost it right there I was so pissed. It's like there guys are trying to convince me that making a bad decision is good and if you don't agree, you are a hater. 

I also don't agree, Lively wouldn't be 1 in this draft based on what he did at Duke. Maybe if he returned and had an insane year, that would be a different convo.

Sarr should be picked at 15-20 like JJ was. He's a better prospect than JJ but thats where I feel he is safe and high reward and if even if bust, so what. 

Edited by NBASupes

Posted (edited)

Give me Risacher if you gonna just do something. At least he fits what we need. 

No, i don't believe we need another switch big. OO showed me that shit don't matter for us. Trae still gonna get abused off the ball no matter who's out there. Just protect the paint and keep people out from the smile.

While yes, we need a perimeter defender, he needs to be able to legit shoot. Even Risacher for his quarrels is a good shooter. 

Risacher got the small movement like Snell, short movement like Huerter and Bey, could develop the long movement like Klay and Korver if he gets stronger. He can defend 1-3. Yeah give me that if we keep the damn pick. 

Sure. I am for Clingan or Edey. Move back in and get one like Chicago did for another person I was high on in the draft at #2 on my BB, Angel Reese. She ended up better than Cordoso so far and other rookies but I heard scouts saying she might not make the team, lol.

Hawks need to get it right. Risacher plus Clingan or Edey. I co-sign and it will work on paper, data, real life, and in the locker room. 

Edited by NBASupes

That's not my take at all. []  Saying I think Edey is the greatest since slice bread when I have him as 10th for prospects in a combined class of 23 and 24, how is that possible? 

I have constantly praised Sarr for what he is and I don't for what he's not. Me being sold on him being a bust is much deeper than, he just thinks he's a bust. 

JJ is a tweener to me like Smoove. He doesn't have a true position but 4 is where tweeners play. 

Yes, he's guarded Giannis way better than anyone else for us but OO.

I prefer the tweener than the JC type all day 

[] You say Sarr will be a bust with the Hawks.  See Evidence from you in this very post: Me being sold on him being a bust is much deeper than, he just thinks he's a bust. You said Edey could be a MVP with the Hawks (greatest thing since sliced bread is how I interpret that).  Have you not said he would be an MVP?  If you are joking about something, then put it in the original post because I take most of your draft posts as being serious posts.

I'm not trying to convince you the Hawks should take Sarr. I don't think you are some idiot for wanting Edey. If that's who you want, that's who you want. I do know that I'm not going to continually try to convince you to like Sarr when I know you have already made up your mind based on your research and feelings. 

Why are we posting the same thing over and over when no one is changing the other's mind? You have presented a plethora of evidence in this and other threads to support your opinion as have others to support theirs. 

[]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I honestly think he would be a reach at 7-10 most years. This is not a good draft. I don't know how many times I have to say it and that includes Clingan and Edey but they OPTIMALLY fit what we do. Sarr doesn't and when I explain why, I am not hating on Sarr. 

Someone even said, people are only hating on Sarr cause the Hawks got the #1 pick. I lost it right there I was so pissed. It's like there guys are trying to convince me that making a bad decision is good and if you don't agree, you are a hater. 

I also don't agree, Lively wouldn't be 1 in this draft based on what he did at Duke. Maybe if he returned and had an insane year, that would be a different convo.

Sarr should be picked at 15-20 like JJ was. He's a better prospect than JJ but thats where I feel he is safe and high reward and if even if bust, so what. 

This is where I disagree with you. You put bust in every post with Sarr.  Just talk about why you don't like him. You don't have to say bust.  Like if you literally say, I don't think Sarr can do this and this or he'll never do this.  People will support it. It's the projection of bust without defining what you think a bust is. 

A bust to me is literally someone who doesn't get the team option picked up on in the third year of a rookie contract. Is that what you think Sarr will be? 

• Thanks 3