• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I think from the Ressler's standpoint the PR for having number 1 is what he wants.  I too also hope they get the pick right regardless of where it goes. 

I'm hoping that Sacramento doesn't get lucky next year. 

Sacramento can't get too lucky or too unlucky.  Too unlucky so that their record stinks and they end up keeping the pick.  Too lucky and they end up keeping the pick.  

A nice "barely missed the playoffs" season would be ideal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Sacramento can't get too lucky or too unlucky.  Too unlucky so that their record stinks and they end up keeping the pick.  Too lucky and they end up keeping the pick.  

A nice "barely missed the playoffs" season would be ideal.

be 13th worst with no lottery movement would be ideal. (rofl).

image.thumb.png.e520e0ef85c7cda8c9506ae30ff16ce4.png

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I dont think Holland is in the mix. I would have him in the mix but I am just not sure they are looking that way or have heard they are. Clingan would be the fourth in consideration but obviously a trade down

I hope they aren't considering Clingan.  

• Like 2

Just now, AHF said:

It could also mean they are just doing their diligence so they are fully prepared if they get a trade offer to move down.  If you haven't assessed the full range of options, you can't intelligently choose between options.  It is also a chance to spend some time with these players so they have some intel in case they want to trade for them or go after them in FA down the line.  No real downside to kicking the tires on all the top prospects.

Exactly! You must get it right.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I hope they aren't considering Clingan.  

They are considering Clingan. They are considering Edey to your chagrin. They are considering even Filipowski. They have reached out to a wide cast of prospects like they said they would. While I can't say these are favorites for 1st overall, I can say, Atlanta has tremendous interest in these players. 

• Premium Member

I'm sure they're considering everyone right now.  Until they understand what potential trade offers might be in play, they have to.  The front office considering player X or Y is not actually a meaningful data point this early.  I think what is most relevant to me, today, is who they are considering at the number 1 pick.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I'm sure they're considering everyone right now.  Until they understand what potential trade offers might be in play, they have to.  The front office considering player X or Y is not actually a meaningful data point this early.  I think what is most relevant to me, today, is who they are considering at the number 1 pick.  

I don't know. We can project but we don't know what the Hawks BB is. 

Everyone you ask here will say the Hawks BB looks like their personal BB. 

What I would imagine is that you will have your BB and the NBA value board which is your Intel on what another team wants to do which is generally accurate. When Jalen Williams went from a mid 2nd round pick to lottery pick. The day of the draft, Atlanta and NO tried to move up to get Jalen but OKC outbid them to move up one spot, took Dieng just in case the deal fell through and took Jalen with their pick.

At this time, Jalen was a 2nd rounder who killed the combine. But by the end of the process, he was seen as a clear lottery pick. I was told he killed his Atlanta workout and meeting. They tried hard to move up and land him 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member

Sarr has to be the pick.  There is no one close to his talent level.  in Addition, you don't trade the #1 pick in the draft unless it's for a superstar, Imo.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Sarr has to be the pick.  There is no one close to his talent level.  in Addition, you don't trade the #1 pick in the draft unless it's for a superstar, Imo.  

Many strongly felt this way in 2005 and I strongly felt otherwise and I do today even more. Do you go with the upside or do you draft the best player in the draft. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

They are not considering Edey though. Not one bit

According to what I'm hearing as well as the other insiders, yes, they are. Just not at #1. 

50 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Many strongly felt this way in 2005 and I strongly felt otherwise and I do today even more. Do you go with the upside or do you draft the best player in the draft. 

Not one scout or evaluator thinks the guy you think is the best player in the draft. The best player in the draft does not have a range of mid lottery to second round LOL. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Not one scout or evaluator thinks the guy you think is the best player in the draft. The best player in the draft does not have a range of mid lottery to second round LOL. 

No one? Continue this group think nonsense 

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There is a reason he will go in the 20s.  

Just now, KB21 said:

There is a reason he will go in the 20s.  

Wait a minute, bait and switch. You said you were all done talking Edey??? 🫣

The lies, the dishonesty....how can I go on?

Seriously though....Biggest issue I have in this thread right now is the repetitive statements.  In sales, they tell you that you have to ask someone to buy 5 times before they actually move into a position where they will feel okay buying.  This feels a lot like that.  Lets get some new takes, not just repeating phrases without evidence.  

Rephrase:  The reason he will not go before pick 20 is:  he's been measured slow in test x, he has a heart defect, negative press, was in adult films.

Don't follow up the opinion he won't go until after pick 20 with another opinion. Give something concrete you can cite.  I'm okay with that. I've got things I can say to refute but "I say he will therefore its fact" is not an argument. Saying it 5 times over and over is just a sales tactic.  Provide some lists where he's rated lower based on testing, official evals, etc and I'll buy it. Not "according to most experts".  Something concrete. This line of will go higher than 20 is a line in the stand I respect. Now back that up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Not one scout or evaluator thinks the guy you think is the best player in the draft.

This is true.

The best player in the draft does not have a range of mid lottery to second round LOL. 

This is generally true but the idea that the best player in the draft is never so slept on that they might have a draft range in the mid first or even second round has been false multiple times in past drafts.

The 2014 draft is probably the poster child because Nikola Jokic was a second rounder and was the clearly the best player in his draft by a MASSIVE gap.

But there are plenty of others, too. 

In 1999, you could make a good case for Manu being the best player taken at #57 (or Marion taken at #9).

You could make the case for Turk #16 or Redd #43 being the best player in the 2000 class.

You can make the case that the best players in the 2006 draft were projected in the late first to second round (Kyle Lowry #24 and Paul Millsap #47). (You could also make a case for Aldridge but it is at least a conversation about who had the best career, imo.)

In the 2011 draft, the best player was either post-lottery (Kawhi) or right before the second round (Butler) which is a similar range to what you are talking about.  (I think both of those guys have significantly better careers than Kyrie but I'll acknowledge that people may differ on this one.)

The 2013 draft was very similar with the best two players post-lottery (Giannis) and right before the second round (Gobert).

The two best players from the 2016 draft were late lottery (Sabonis) and near second round (Siakam).

In short, the scouts and talent evaluators sometimes miss on the best players in a draft class and the best player(s) sometimes go much later than the high lottery.  (Generally this is not the case but it is often enough especially in drafts that lack an obvious superstar that I think we should acknowledge this reality.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Sothron said:

Yes, it is the first one of us has mentioned it on here. We've talked about it privately. I think trading the pick would be a disaster PR move and it would be more about Ressler saving money by not having to pay the #1 pick salary scale. 

+1000...  I cannot put into words how much this resonates with me and how spot on you are.  It is time for the Hawks to act like a normal franchise and do the right thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I feel like this is way more 'serious' than you're letting on. :stirthepot: 

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Seriously though....Biggest issue I have in this thread right now is the repetitive statements.  In sales, they tell you that you have to ask someone to buy 5 times before they actually move into a position where they will feel okay buying.  This feels a lot like that.  Lets get some new takes, not just repeating phrases without evidence.  

Rephrase:  The reason he will not go before pick 20 is:  he's been measured slow in test x, he has a heart defect, negative press, was in adult films.

Don't follow up the opinion he won't go until after pick 20 with another opinion. Give something concrete you can cite.  I'm okay with that. I've got things I can say to refute but "I say he will therefore its fact" is not an argument. Saying it 5 times over and over is just a sales tactic.  Provide some lists where he's rated lower based on testing, official evals, etc and I'll buy it. Not "according to most experts".  Something concrete. This line of will go higher than 20 is a line in the stand I respect. Now back that up.

Also address the outlandish comments from the Edey side of things as well.