• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

6 hours ago, Sothron said:

Oh boy....this is where we go into why we haven't talked about this in public until now.

If you are an owner and your FO tells you this draft doesn't have a real #1 pick, we can trade that pick, get more assets and get a guy we feel has the same value...and save the owner $$$ for not paying #1 pick money...what would you do?

So the FO is saying similar value as #1 pick is further down the board?  Any word on a specific player or player(s) they like?  Or what kinds of packages we are being offered?

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, NBASupes said:

These guys literally posted James Edwards from the athletic article twice on here which said he's a PnP big. Now I said, he's a below-average shooter at best. Then again, so does No Ceilings, Hollinger, and nbadraft.net. Givony does as well. 

Tremendous offensive upside????? Do you mean, tremendous defensive upside? 

I watched those guys the other day. Neither of them said he could not develop into a really good offensive player. They said his defense is what is advanced now and translates immediately. What makes him the top prospect in their eyes is that, although there is a limited sample size and he has a lot more to prove, his offensive ceiling is among the best in the draft. You also can’t overlook his dedication to getting to the NBA. He left his parents in France to go to Real Madrid, yes the team Doncic played for, at 14. Then he moved to the US for two years and then all the way to Australia. You can’t underestimate hunger and drive. He has an awesome support system too with his family. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

I watched those guys the other day. Neither of them said he could not develop into a really good offensive player. They said his defense is what is advanced now and translates immediately. What makes him the top prospect in their eyes is that, although there is a limited sample size and he has a lot more to prove, his offensive ceiling is among the best in the draft. You also can’t overlook his dedication to getting to the NBA. He left his parents in France to go to Real Madrid, yes the team Doncic played for, at 14. Then he moved to the US for two years and then all the way to Australia. You can’t underestimate hunger and drive. He has an awesome support system too with his family. 

I like this post. 😂

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Even I've said on here that he has the upside to be a MVP and he has potential offensively so even the person you believe is see him as a bust which I do for us thinks that and even said it here. 

I've stated it on here

1. My issue isn't Sarr, it's the Hawks for Sarr. 

2. He's not a big. He's a big wing who has tremendous size for a big wing but even as a big wing, his perimeter game is largely unpolished and his interior game is flat out bad. 

3. What's your plan for Sarr and is it feasible. While I've seen posters like Jay have some good plans, even their plans change and it goes to guaranteed bust lane when you start bringing up guys like Chet, Wemby, Lively, Claxton, etc. He's not those players. That's where the obvious bust comments come from my end. I don't see anyone sticking to a successful plan for Sarr because expectations make it flat out impossible. 

• Like 1

• AHF unlocked this topic
33 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Even I've said on here that he has the upside to be a MVP and he has potential offensively so even the person you believe is see him as a bust which I do for us thinks that and even said it here. 

I've stated it on here

1. My issue isn't Sarr, it's the Hawks for Sarr. 

2. He's not a big. He's a big wing who has tremendous size for a big wing but even as a big wing, his perimeter game is largely unpolished and his interior game is flat out bad. 

3. What's your plan for Sarr and is it feasible. While I've seen posters like Jay have some good plans, even their plans change and it goes to guaranteed bust lane when you start bringing up guys like Chet, Wemby, Lively, Claxton, etc. He's not those players. That's where the obvious bust comments come from my end. I don't see anyone sticking to a successful plan for Sarr because expectations make it flat out impossible. 

The bigger issue is if this FO takes a player knowing they need development and have no plans to help get the best out of said player.  I don't believe the Hawks won't have a plan.  But then again...hmmm.

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

I realize I am not a mod but calling someone delusional is just insulting. Supes it not delusional. You can say his belief that Edey should be #1 is a reach and make the same point.

As about the insiders...I've said more than once they are considering Edey but NOT at #1. They are definitely considering him but not at #1. His private workout(s) with the team will be telling.

They are not considering Edey though. Not one bit

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

You would be surprised if you took this stance. 

Yall want to make this Edey thing, a thing so he can be a topic of conversation still. He wouldn't have been considered at 10 let alone now at 1. Yall gotta put this convo to rest already. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Yall want to make this Edey thing, a thing so he can be a topic of conversation still. He wouldn't have been considered at 10 let alone now at 1. Yall gotta put this convo to rest already. 

Yep.  It's not even worth discussing.  

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The name I keep hearing as a player to watch with Atlanta is Matas Buzelis.  

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The name I keep hearing as a player to watch with Atlanta is Matas Buzelis.  

There are 4 guys in play for 1 or slight trade backs and he is 1 of them. They will end up with Sarr most likely though.

• Like 4

Just now, Mikey said:

There are 4 guys in play for 1 or slight trade backs and he is 1 of them. They will end up with Sarr most likely though.

I agree.  Sarr, Buzelis, Risacher, and Holland more than likely are the 4.  Buzelis and Risacher are in the same archetype of player.  I think Buzelis is better off the drible than Risacher.  They both have significant shooting equity.  They fill that big wing floor spacer archetype.  

26 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Thank you for bringing sanity back to the thread.  Sources can put out there the hawks are considering whoever, as they should, to not let the others know the Hawks' plans.

However, I just don't see them taking Edey at 1 or trading down.  The PR would be too bad. 

The Hawks do have a draft pick next year as long as Sac is not the 10th worst team. 

Edited by marco102

13 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I agree.  Sarr, Buzelis, Risacher, and Holland more than likely are the 4.  Buzelis and Risacher are in the same archetype of player.  I think Buzelis is better off the drible than Risacher.  They both have significant shooting equity.  They fill that big wing floor spacer archetype.  

Please just let it be Sarr. The others are fine too 5 or 10 picks, but not 1. 
Buzelis and Holland are bad 3pt shooters. The more I watch Buz, the less I like him. Both had a +/- of -10. 
Risacher seems pretty good, not great. Not much wow factor in his play. I have a new nickname for him. French Vanilla. It’s exactly how I see his game. 

• Haha 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, marco102 said:

However, I just don't see them taking Edey at 1 or trading down.  The PR would be too bad. 

I could see a logic to doing like the Celtics did where they traded down to take Tatum and picked up a future pick.  If you end up with the right player, the PR is a short-term challenge but not a big issue because when the player balls out the narrative changes (especially if the top pick you traded struggles).

The biggest key is getting the pick right.

The Hawks do have a draft pick next year as long as Sac is not the 10th worst team. 

Or as long as the Sacramento pick doesn't get lucky like we did this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

I could see a logic to doing like the Celtics did where they traded down to take Tatum and picked up a future pick.  If you end up with the right player, the PR is a short-term challenge but not a big issue because when the player balls out the narrative changes (especially if the top pick you traded struggles).

The biggest key is getting the pick right.

Or as long as the Sacramento pick doesn't get lucky like we did this year.

I think from the Ressler's standpoint the PR for having number 1 is what he wants.  I too also hope they get the pick right regardless of where it goes. 

I'm hoping that Sacramento doesn't get lucky next year. 

29 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The Hawks are looking a lot of players which either means they are considering a lot for #1 or they are planning on moving down. 

While I haven't heard anything about the Hawks looking to trade yet. Portland is rumored to serious about shopping 6 and 14 to move up so Atlanta would have options. 

The Hawks gotta get this right. They can't afford to get this wrong. They don't have any mistakes left in them. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I dont think Holland is in the mix. I would have him in the mix but I am just not sure they are looking that way or have heard they are. Clingan would be the fourth in consideration but obviously a trade down

• Like 1