• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Draft Over: What's Next?

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

We definitely need another person who can get a bucket, especially if trading Hunter.  Trae will miss some games and also when he goes to the bench we will need some help.  Not sure Kobe is ready for that.  JJ/Bogi can pickup some slack but ideally we will need 1 more bucket getter.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Did you know the Hawks are a top 5-10 offense?

Did you know that it doesn't matter if he plays hero ball or not?

Did you know that even with hero ball, if we had a top 15 defense, we probably would be in the top 4 of the east?

I knew they were a top 5 offense but that was with Murray.  I doubt that they are now. Who replaces Murray's production?

We didn't have a top 15 defense so your just speculating.  

This team will struggle to score with a lack of proven shooters/scorers.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AtLaS said:

We definitely need another person who can get a bucket, especially if trading Hunter.  Trae will miss some games and also when he goes to the bench we will need some help.  Not sure Kobe is ready for that.  JJ/Bogi can pickup some slack but ideally we will need 1 more bucket getter.

Ya who you like I agree. We need a Ronald Flip baby Murray type. Crawfish 🦞 Crawford.. a baby Lou if I may.

2 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

According to some Hawksquawkers,  Hunter is a "low ceiling guy".  One of the most complete players on the team and they want him gone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FL_BRYANT said:

I knew they were a top 5 offense but that was with Murray.  I doubt that they are now. Who replaces Murray's production?

We didn't have a top 15 defense so your just speculating.  

This team will struggle to score with a lack of proven shooters/scorers.

Guess who AIN'T gonna struggle for points?  The Pelicans.  They are loaded now with Murray.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I’d prefer Jarret Allen, but I actually think Trae could unlock Ayton as well.  Ayton is the kind of guy that seems like he will play up or down based on his engagement. With Trae he would be in action all the time.

Between Allen and Ayton who you got higher? 

2 hours ago, theheroatl said:

I still want SloMo

I used to hate Slo Mo but over the last few years he’s grown on me. I think I hated him cuz.. well he plays boring style ball but super fundamental and high BBIQ, he’s like a SF version of a Sammy Cassell if I may. He takes his time and plays at his 🐢 pace but it throws defenders off. 

Ya get him Hawks, let’s go!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

They HAD a on ball threat outside of Trae who performed.  Why folks keep double speaking about Murray being the problem is insane. NOBODY is a fit as a dominant ball player WITH Trae.  He has to dominate the ball, period, end of story which is why teams weren't falling over themselves to trade for him and his contract.  The only thing that works with Trae is either pick and roll or wings standing on the outside who can catch and shoot when defenses collapse on Trae.  He doesn't work with players who can create shots for themselves.  I give Quin credit for seeing this and coming up with that Slot 5 tweak which FORCES Trae to emblement Johnson into the offense.

I was fine with Murray.  They seemed to start out ok but then Trae reverted back to his ball dominance. I for one didn't think Murray was the problem.  I felt and I still feel that it could have worked if they could have fixed the front court. Everyone is dogging Murray now but I think it could have worked. it's nice to start off each game with close to 50 pts. Problem was the FO didn't surround Trae and Murray with defense, size, and shooting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I used to hate Slo Mo but over the last few years he’s grown on me. I think I hated him cuz.. well he plays boring style ball but super fundamental and high BBIQ, he’s like a SF version of a Sammy Cassell if I may. He takes his time and plays at his 🐢 pace but it throws defenders off. 

Ya get him Hawks, let’s go!

Slomo  won't do nothing but slowmo the rebuild.  Play the young boys since you have decided to go in this direction.  Embrace the rebuild. 

20 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

You have a short term view of the Hawks.  The FO has a long term view. Success next year will be measured by the development of the young players not necessarily in wins.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, FL_BRYANT said:

I was fine with Murray.  They seemed to start out ok but then Trae reverted back to his ball dominance. I for one didn't think Murray was the problem.  I felt and I still feel that it could have worked if they could have fixed the front court. Everyone is dogging Murray now but I think it could have worked. it's nice to start off each game with close to 50 pts. Problem was the FO didn't surround Trae and Murray with defense, size, and shooting. 

Fans rip Trae and Murray but suggest Trae and Bogi will work.  If you thought the defense was bad with Trae and Murray imagine how bad it will be with Trae and Bogi.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, FL_BRYANT said:

Fans rip Trae and Murray but suggest Trae and Bogi will work.  If you thought the defense was bad with Trae and Murray imagine how bad it will be with Trae and Bogi.

Fact is the team was roughly +13 points better per 100 possessions with Trae and Bogi on the floor versus Trae and DJM.  Better on D.  Better on O.  Bogi at least has size to bother opposing SGs.  DJM was wholly ineffective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, AHF said:

Fact is the team was roughly +13 points better per 100 possessions with Trae and Bogi on the floor versus Trae and DJM.  Better on D.  Better on O.  Bogi at least has size to bother opposing SGs.  DJM was wholly ineffective.

Over a long season with Bogi playing starter minutes those numbers would be very different.  No way Bogi plays better D than Murray. As far as size goes they are both 6ft5. Bogi weights a bit more that's all. Bogi has no positive impact on defense.  No one believes that. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

I want to keep Hunter at this point.  Big wing, solid man defender, nearly a 40% 3pt shooter, can get his own offense.  If his name was something different and was on another team this board would desperately want a player with his profile.  Many Hawks fans are just tired of watching him and the fact that he didn't become a star.  His contract isn't bad considering what many other players have received.  Hunter isn't perfect but it's just a classic case of thinking the grass is greener on the other side. 

Anyone we replace him with isn't going to be better.

Plus the guy gets better at something every year except when he was dealing with injuries during his 1st few offseasons