• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Draft Over: What's Next?

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

From a pick only stance we are in the loss column. But we also got useful players that fill very specific needs. Ideally, my preference would have been to get a bonafide starter back.

5 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Sure, but you can't just ignore the value of Daniels who was a lottery pick.  And Nance has value as well.  It's essentially 4 assets vs 4 assets.  

I'm not ignoring Nance and Daniels.  I think Daniels is a role player with upside and a long-term future with the team.  I think Nance is a role player with an expiring contract who is either flipped or gone after next season.

I just didn't agree with the way anyone was characterizing the picks and wanted to explain how I saw them.

Like I said, I don't really care about what we sent out for DJM versus what we got back as much as what a player like DJM who is under team control for 4 years on a submarket contract should command in a trade versus what we received in return.  That is speculative in nature and I think we have all made our initial reactions pretty clear on it so I'm also not trying to redo that discusion here.  This was mostly about the way I saw the picks being described and adding my $.02.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, FL_BRYANT said:

You think the number of minutes played was a factor? I don't think this tells the full story if your doing a comparison. It leaves me with more questions 

I know the defense was worse with Trae and DJM than Trae and any other player.  At some level, it tells a very simple story to me.  Neither Trae nor DJM could guard wings at all and it was a disaster on the defensive end of the floor.  Bogi at the SG is indeed a step up from that.  It is a separate conversation whether Bogi is a good enough defender.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm not ignoring Nance and Daniels.  I think Daniels is a role player with upside and a long-term future with the team.  I think Nance is a role player with an expiring contract who is either flipped or gone after next season.

I just didn't agree with the way anyone was characterizing the picks and wanted to explain how I saw them.

Like I said, I don't really care about what we sent out for DJM versus what we got back as much as what a player like DJM who is under team control for 4 years on a submarket contract should command in a trade versus what we received in return.  That is speculative in nature and I think we have all made our initial reactions pretty clear on it so I'm also not trying to redo that discusion here.  This was mostly about the way I saw the picks being described and adding my $.02.

Folks around the NBA seem to not like Trae on a personal level but have to admit he's really good.   I think it's the opposite for DJ.   I think It's going to become apparent that he's a good player but he's not #1 or #2 on a winning team.  Everyone knows this because he's been a #1 and a #2 for several years with different teams/coaches/players and hasn't won.  He's just easy to root for. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

WINNERS AND LOSERS

14. The Atlanta Hawks might be screwed.

What Atlanta got back for point guard Dejounte Murray is fair: firsts in 2025 and 2027, plus Larry Nance Jr., Dyson Daniels, and E.J. Liddell. But it doesn’t come close to the three valuable firsts and one swap the Hawks originally gave up to get Murray from San Antonio. The Hawks’ current roster will barely compete for the playoffs in the East, and they don’t own the rights to any of their firsts until 2028. If the Spurs called today offering those picks back for Trae Young, the Hawks would happily say yes. But San Antonio is holding them hostage, opting to sign CP3 as a placeholder rather than make a trade for a point guard like Trae. As good as Young is, San Antonio would benefit a lot more from being patient. The Hawks have looked nothing but incompetent in recent years. They’d better hope that Zaccharie Risacher works out, or it’ll get ugly fast.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/7/2/24190616/nba-free-agency-2024-deals-trade-rumors-lauri-markkanen

My stance regarding the roster has not changed. The draft was not the overriding factor in our success next season, but rather how the existing roster was remade.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Could the inability to sign anyone be due to the trade being upheld because of the trade kicker? Or have they started their July 4th holiday early? For a team that wants to retain Trae, they seem very slow to act, and almost every target is gone, which raises the question: do they even want them?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

Could the inability to sign anyone be due to the trade being upheld because of the trade kicker? Or have they started their July 4th holiday early? For a team that wants to retain Trae, they seem very slow to act, and almost every target is gone, which raises the question: do they even want them?

No cause all these deals can't finalize until the 6th. It has no bearing on if the Hawks can get a verbal which is what these are

The hawks have no excuses

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

image.png.cbda30e6e5aeaa734b79347b0f44946f.png

They know their cap situation. They just choose not to actively pursue ways to improve the roster.

SlowMo was an important reason why the Wolves were successful. And the Hawks missed another chance to improve their weak wing defense beyond just Dyson Daniels.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

WINNERS AND LOSERS

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/7/2/24190616/nba-free-agency-2024-deals-trade-rumors-lauri-markkanen

My stance regarding the roster has not changed. The draft was not the overriding factor in our success next season, but rather how the existing roster was remade.

Oof.  That's tough to read. I don't agree with that outcome, but I suppose its a valid worst case scenario. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Y’all, when they traded our best asset (Trae notwithstanding), for players that were not going to make us better this year, that was the signal that they are going to do a soft rebuild or a rebuild out right. Please don’t hold your breath that we will be trying upgrade the roster this year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Y’all, when they traded our best asset (Trae notwithstanding), for players that were not going to make us better this year, that was the signal that they are going to do a soft rebuild or a rebuild out right. Please don’t hold your breath that we will be trying upgrade the roster this year. 

I get that this is just your opinion, but I guarantee you they aren't looking at the DJM trade as a rebuild. They are planning on Daniels being a rotational player and Nance being a valuable depth piece. 

I think the team got better in the trade. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Think whatever yall want about Koonin, but an official spokesman for the team wouldn’t talk about getting better this season if we were doing a rebuild.

a rebuild that would take place without control of our picks which would make it a tough one to actually do.

Hawks just gotta get better and compete this season - Spurs just signed their starting pg and are not going to give our picks back right now

So with the knowledge we’re intentionally trying to be a better team this season, it’s wild there haven’t even been rumors surrounding hawks and new incoming players

can only assume we’re trying to make moves via trades, and those trades should be for players not assets.

The NBA championship is as wide open as it’s ever been in nba history, we gotta strike now 🐦