• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Draft Over: What's Next?

JayBirdHawk

hace 9 minutos, Sothron dijo:

If anyone seriously thinks this team's FO is actively doing a rebuild, even a soft rebuild, when we don't control our first round picks until 2028 I have some wonderful Arizona ocean property to sell you. It is right there on Arizona Bay.

I've had several people send me messages asking why the insiders are so quiet. There's a reason for that. Some of the moves they tried to make didn't work out. Either players signed elsewhere or a team signing a guy ruined the trade market for Capela or Hunter. 

The team is still trying to improve the roster. I've been told they are not done and to be patient. So...be cool. If we haven't done anything when August 1st rolls around...then  yes, be upset. I'll be right there with you.

Well, we can be patient, however there is not a single indication for the optimism. People think we are better with NO trade and we might be, but that is counting on DD playing a relevant role that he couldn't achieve on NO and Nance stating healthy, those are big IFs. We still have a real size and defense problem at the frontcourt and there are no indications that we will solve it or at least improve it. All FAs that might fit here and improve the situation have already signed elsewhere and I don't see any trade option that is really available that would improve the team.

The only reason for optimism, really slight chance, is the improvement of the young guys, I expect big things from JJ, some improvement from Bufkin, Gueye, Hunter, DD and OO and some good nights from Risacher. But that is not enough, we need veteran help at PG, wing and C position. There are still some options out there as Caleb Martin, Thomas Bryant, Covington.... I really doubt we are able to get any real help.

• Like 4

hace 9 minutos, NBASupes dijo:

Yep! The cost for role players just has significantly gone down due to the 2nd apron. Not as big of a deal with Capela but it definitely has done damage to Dres market. 

If we are not rebuilding we need to keep Hunter, I cannot see any trade that gives us better value and fit than him. Capela is another story, the fit is not there and he is probably better on another team.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

If we are not rebuilding we need to keep Hunter, I cannot see any trade that gives us better value and fit than him. Capela is another story, the fit is not there and he is probably better on another team.

Why keep when he is hurt most of the time..bye bye to both imo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sothron said:

So...be cool. If we haven't done anything when August 1st rolls around...then  yes, be upset. I'll be right there with you.

We’re just gonna be like Fonzie.  Sucks to hear that plans are shifting.  Jarrett Allen for Hunter would have been sweet.  

At least this makes sense.  They are clearly building around Trae, but looked like they are not giving him enough support at the same time.  Hope something breaks our way.  

39 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

We’re just gonna be like Fonzie.  Sucks to hear that plans are shifting.  Jarrett Allen for Hunter would have been sweet.  

At least this makes sense.  They are clearly building around Trae, but looked like they are not giving him enough support at the same time.  Hope something breaks our way.  

Atkinson is going to find a way to keep Allen there if possible is what I’ve read. I’m not banking on Allen leaving which may be why we haven’t seen Mobley get his extension yet. They are probably trying to figure something out to keep both long term.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Its amazing to me how many fans are waiting for the great Pumpkin to arrive.  Y'all better listen to @AHF!  The man is trying impart some wisdom up this community but some of y'all ain't hearing it.

Yep.  This is true.  We keep on hoping that every move that the Hawks make will turn out to be "The move!"  This is part of being a fan.  Keeping hope alive.  Trusting Lucy to hold that football again! 

It didn't work out, so we traded Murray.  Didn't get back what we gave for him, but we got two year's use of him.  Hope springs eternal.  Without it, we are simply robots.

Peoriabird, you've been on The Squawk for many seasons, and I appreciate your postings.  Don't always agree as I'm sure you don't always agree with me.  Keep up the good work!

:smug:

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Peoriabird, you've been on The Squawk for many seasons, and I appreciate your postings.  Don't always agree as I'm sure you don't always agree with me.  Keep up the good work!

:smug:

Thank you @Gray Mule. Some people just hate dissenting opinions.  It's funny that I can repeat the exact continent as another poster but I am the one who gets attacked and block...curious

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sothron said:

If anyone seriously thinks this team's FO is actively doing a rebuild, even a soft rebuild, when we don't control our first round picks until 2028 I have some wonderful Arizona ocean property to sell you. It is right there on Arizona Bay.

I've had several people send me messages asking why the insiders are so quiet. There's a reason for that. Some of the moves they tried to make didn't work out. Either players signed elsewhere or a team signing a guy ruined the trade market for Capela or Hunter. 

The team is still trying to improve the roster. I've been told they are not done and to be patient. So...be cool. If we haven't done anything when August 1st rolls around...then  yes, be upset. I'll be right there with you.

Thanks, was looking for this post on the new insiders thread, glad I clicked on this one

• Like 1

I don’t think this organization has a clue what their plan is. They are fooling themselves if they think they can compete. They have little draft capital and nothing significant of their own. This is the definition of a treadmill.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

So far KCP, Caruso, and Kyle Anderson moved to other teams.   I was told that the Hawks missing on guys like Derrick White was all hindsight so putting these guys out as foresight moves that would have been difference makers for the Hawks.  

This is the point.

I really don't know who the guys with Hawks DNA are at this point.

Wes Matthews? Bench guys and cheap AF vet mins that don't make a dent?

It's all a bunch of excuses. If they wanted to spend to make a contender, they could.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Truth is...

We have underperforming, well-paid players on our roster.

Capela and Hunter

These guys are performing well under their $20m salary.

If the Hawks want to be cheap why do they pay them? Just package them up for trash. Don't pretend like you want to be a competitive ball club when in reality you are the  Atlanta Spirit Ownership Group

Edited by theheroatl
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I get that this is just your opinion, but I guarantee you they aren't looking at the DJM trade as a rebuild. They are planning on Daniels being a rotational player and Nance being a valuable depth piece. 

I think the team got better in the trade. 

While I am critical of the return particularly for the two year window before Trae is an UFA, I struggle to come up with a version of the trade where we aren't better for this season than we would have been keeping DJM.  I think that is a very low bar to clear because of how toxic Trae and DJM were sharing the floor (much like if you had Capela and Deke on the floor at the same time for 28 mpg).  This wasn't the worst possible realistic version of the trade but I think even that would likely have us better this year.

The stronger signal to me of a rebuild instead of a retool will be what they do with Hunter, Capela, and free agency.

• Like 1

I believe the FO has a vision/direction they want to go, which is good. But I don’t have a lot of faith in their ability to actually execute it well. Poor trade negotiators, and now poor foresight to recognize how free agency impacts the trade market. 
I can understand LF/KK inexperience playing into things, but what have all to dudes with experience they’ve brought into the fold been doing? 

• Like 3