• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Draft Over: What's Next?

JayBirdHawk

5 hours ago, Sothron said:

The team is still trying to improve the roster. I've been told they are not done and to be patient. So...be cool. If we haven't done anything when August 1st rolls around...then  yes, be upset. I'll be right there with you.

They missed the urgency deadlines that force teams to give best deals. 

This is not a product of the market, this is a product of ineptitude. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Yep! The cost for role players just has significantly gone down due to the 2nd apron. Not as big of a deal with Capela but it definitely has done damage to Dres market. 

Good b/c I fear we are just going to salary dump Dre.  

This team who is desparate for wings, 3pt shooting, defense and ability to create offense when Trae isn't in the game is looking to trade Hunter.   I just don't get it, he's a perfect fit for what we need.  Unless we are getting a clear upgrade let's not trade him, his contract really isn't that bad.

Capela I could see, if we can get a floor spacer at the 5.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Sothron said:

If anyone seriously thinks this team's FO is actively doing a rebuild, even a soft rebuild, when we don't control our first round picks until 2028 I have some wonderful Arizona ocean property to sell you. It is right there on Arizona Bay.

This I believe. Just wouldn't make sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hace 2 minutos, AtLaS dijo:

Good b/c I fear we are just going to salary dump Dre.  

This team who is desparate for wings, 3pt shooting, defense and ability to create offense when Trae isn't in the game is looking to trade Hunter.   I just don't get it, he's a perfect fit for what we need.  Unless we are getting a clear upgrade let's not trade him, his contract really isn't that bad.

Capela I could see, if we can get a floor spacer at the 5.  

I completely agree with this, Hunter is a real valuable piece, if we don't get a real upgrade we should keep him. Capela is different, probably Hard to get similar value but we should get better fit.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, ABH said:

Why keep when he is hurt most of the time..bye bye to both imo

Outside of the knee surgery in 2021, Hunter averages over 60 games a year.  That means he plays in 75% of games, that's not "hurt most of the time".  This is a case of being tired of watching someone who has been on the team for a while, and wanting a change for the sake of making a change.  Unfortunately there aren't hoards of Mikal Bridges prototypes in the league, this is pretty much the norm.  A big 2 way wing who can shoot the 3 and create some of his own offense, who doesn't miss many games, that is realistically available and doesn't have a ginormous contract is extremely hard to find.

What are the better options who are realistically available?  Clear upgrades on the floor and play more games than Hunter?  And are under 30 years old? I.E. have the same window?  

If Hunter played for another team we would be dieing to get him here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This I believe. Just wouldn't make sense.

I don't disagree with you, but does it really matter? 

If this offseason consists of 2 young guys and Nance, what should we call that? 2 young guys that cannot reasonably be expected to make a big difference yet. 

If those are rhe moves.... How do you not call this year one of a minor rebuild/retool? Daniel's and Rish need time. 

Not directed at you, but I think people have gotten way over their skis in relation to Zacc in the last week. He's 19 and almost everyone I've seen is expecting him to at least be a decent starter. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Seems like they are always a day late and a dollar short on trades. 

This is the point. Anyone can do trades... 

Don't let the media sit there and say you are trying and talking and all this nonsense then it builds up our fanbase just to be let down that nothing good materializes

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

What makes you feel this way, genuinely?  I have not seen any trades I would consider poor.

I'm still curious who was in charge that summer we traded for DJ.   Landry was announced as the GM prior to the trade so i'd say that was a very poor deal.   36 second round picks for Bey isn't great now that we may just let him walk but I actually liked that deal so I can't criticize that one.  Sending DJ to Nola was a very good trade I think.  

So yeah I see your point but I think we're also judging on deals they couldn't get done which we don't really know if there were any.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Afro said:

I don't disagree with you, but does it really matter? 

If this offseason consists of 2 young guys and Nance, what should we call that? 2 young guys that cannot reasonably be expected to make a big difference yet. 

If those are rhe moves.... How do you not call this year one of a minor rebuild/retool? Daniel's and Rish need time. 

Not directed at you, but I think people have gotten way over their skis in relation to Zacc in the last week. He's 19 and almost everyone I've seen is expecting him to at least be a decent starter. 

My mantra has been, since they season ended and we lucked into the #1 pick - no single draft pick, (wether #10 or #1) would change the teams w/l record in it's entirely. The success of the team next season was more dependent on how the roster was remade. It still stands.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Seems like they are always a day late and a dollar short on trades. 

I get it trades are hard, with lots of moving pieces and parts and everyone has to agree - the biggest hurdle for them though, is they always seem to be working from a disadvantage because they are limited by an owner mandate to 'avoid the tax.' 

I've always said my, I understand getting under the tax since it offers more flexibility to allow them to do bigger things to improve - I'm still waiting for the BIGGER THINGS in all these instances.

I'm getting old - I only have so much more patience left in me.

Damn near every other contender has been able to make several deals to improve(Warriors, Nugs, Heat the ones who haven't). 

How long are we going to do nothing? (for people who wanna jump on me, read my post above lol) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My mantra has been, since they season ended and we lucked into the #1 pick - no single draft pick, (wether #10 or #1) would change the teams w/l record in it's entirely. The success of the team next season was more dependent on how the roster was remade. It still stands.

100%. I said this offseason I'd be happy with #1 and one other piece. I don't think we've gotten the other piece yet, but they have improved the bench, so I'll give them that. 

Rish and Daniel's still seem like 2 to 3 years away for me(soft rebuild). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think a lot of posters would say we did not get the most out of:

the trade for DJM (Schlenk got overridden on this and Fields was promoted into his chair so I'd say a fair guess he had input here but fair if this doesn't get counted)

the Huerter dump trade (still waiting to see if we end up with a first and absolutely zero impact on the court now 4 years later which is hard for me given that I think we should have been pushing forward if we were going to swing on DJM)

the attempt to trade for other players last year that was apparently so compelling we didn't even both to fill out the roster

the John Collins dump trade

the failure to trade down with Washington in the draft

the DJM trade (still waiting to be seen in its final form)

I am among that group.  I do feel like we go taken advantage of or failed to leverage our position of strength in most of it not all of these situations.

I don't really have any criticism of the Bey trade or the TyTy/Gay trade (the former I think was good and the latter was utterly insignificant).

You forgot the Dallas/Capela trade for Lively

We did dump Alpha Kaba for Patty Mills.. who then was dumped

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

Still frustrated that we didnt get Hawkins in the DJM deal. If only for the fact that Bogi is our ONLY guard shooter. He needs a replacement. He's old. Plus, if he gets hurt at all this year... Wtf do we do? Lol. 

A little annoyed that Pels fans are still gleeful to have a war chest chocked full of "star" worthy assets even after the DJM deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

They are repairing a boat while sailing a boat, and this is major surgery.  Looking to move on from 4/5 of your starters, replenish draft capital, and trying to keep pace with the east at the same time.  Fan expectations are pretty unreasonable, but I actually see an organization that is correcting to strategic long term fits while repurposing about $100M of our payroll.  

100% agree with this.  It's seems fairly obvious to me, but I think it gets lost when perceived expectations of a splashy additions are not met.  I'll saying it, the Hawks FIT better now than they did a week ago AND they are better overall now than they were a week ago.  As @AHFsaid, it was always a low bar to clear given the epic non-fit of Trae and DJM, but it's still progress.  

They tried to get better with DJM trade.  It failed spectacularly.  They undid the DJM trade and now at least have players that seem to FIT together better.  They are young and need to grow, but they are collectively still better than what we had.  The question is can they also trade CC and Hunter to continue to get better?  Or do they keep Hunter and trade CC?  I think CC has to be moved because he just doesn't FIT what Quin is wanting offensively.  

• Like 3