• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Draft Over: What's Next?

JayBirdHawk

1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

I agree this 100%

The only thing exciting me right now about this season is JJ and Risacher and seeing how they progress

That may be what the front office is thinking too.. That's all.

Not contending, just hoping for progression from JJ and Risacher and Bufkin

download.jpg.f643cbe93c50345e971164f1c18c8e90.jpg

I said the same thing last season..

I was only watching to see the young guys.. 

When JJ went down, the Hawks were an afterthought....

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

"The Plan."  Have a plan.  Execute the plan.

Each time the Hawks change either their head coach or GM, the plan changes to fit the new man.  

We now hope that Atlanta has had the same head coach and GM together for long enough that we see real progress in the development of our team.  Not all deals work out the way we thought they would.  Therefore, changes must always be in their thoughts and minds.  How can we improve?  Will this move make us better?

The entire idea is to win each and every game.  We all know that this is impossible, but that's the goal every time the Hawks take the floor.  We all need to drop this idea that being kinda good and half trying is all that we have.  No!  If it is not winning each and every game, doing your very best, then heads should roll.  

If other NBA teams ever read the Squawk, and we all know that they do, constantly running down our players and saying how sorry we believe them to be sure doesn't make trading them any easier.  Our GM offers this good Hawk player in a trade.  He's a good one.  They reply, "That's not what the Squawk says.  They think he stinks."  Oops!

Do we have a great team?  No.  But we're gaining on it!

:smug:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Long way of saying rebuilding.  

lol basically. The cheap way of building a team that *MAY* or *MAY NOT* be good enough to contend

It also screams.. we don't star chase or go after top end talent like Phoenix 

You notice how Laundry rarely if ever mentions "talent" and "winning"?

It's more so "competitive" and "development"

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, terrell said:

download.jpg.f643cbe93c50345e971164f1c18c8e90.jpg

I said the same thing last season..

I was only watching to see the young guys.. 

When JJ went down, the Hawks were an afterthought....

The crazy thing to me is that the FO has to know this. Landry led his end of season conference stating how they have to do a better job of accounting for injuries going forward. He also said he realizes that as great as Trae is (and is an all star player) he realizes we need another player of that caliber. Trae can’t be the only one. 

Well, Landry - we traded DJ away (our only other all star player) and we have nothing. So he needs to make a move soon otherwise we’ll be repeating next year. Watching the young guys and hoping Trae can carry them and not get injured. 

I have no problem with us getting Zach #1 if he truly was the top prospect on our board. But we must take advantage of FA to fill out the roster to meet needs. Running it back with Hunter / capela isn’t working. They are low spades and better off coming off the bench. 

landry had to put up or shut up. Watching the Knicks take big swings (whether I agree with it or not) is painful to see 

Edited by Bonzaii58

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I do think our depth right now is MUCH better than last year.  Guys I expect to be new additions to the rotation (not the roster but the rotation) in bold:

Trae / Bufkin 

Bogi / DysonBufkin 

Hunter / Risacher / Vit and/or Mathews

JJ / Nance / Gueye 

OO / CC 

So for me, it is DJM and Bey out Bufkin, Dyson, Risacher, Gueye, Nance in.  I expect we'll add a vet backup PG at some point.  Not sure why we couldn't have added Delon Wright given how little he agreed to take but that is done at this point.  Guys who really shouldn't have been playing but were in there like Trent, Wes, Pat, etc. are gone and some of the young guys who got zero run last year have the chance to step up and get some opportunity this year, imo.  

Bufkin, Dyson, Risacher and Nance are clearly the big ones for me.  

Risacher is just too skinny to play ALOT of SF right now imo.. I hope they give this kid some min at the 2...

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, terrell said:

Risacher is just too skinny to play ALOT of SF right now imo.. I hope they give this kid some min at the 2...

I don't see us having much alternative.  Who else is playing SF?  Also, Bogi and Dyson will need a lot of minutes so it is likely the two of them could play some SF in certain matchups as well.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, terrell said:

He doesn't play skinny though if you watch him.  I expect him to be a better rebounder than Hunter on day 1, for instance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

He doesn't play skinny though if you watch him.  I expect him to be a better rebounder than Hunter on day 1, for instance.

That ain't hard to do.. lol

I just like him as a big 2..

And was hoping we'd see him there some...

His movement and  quick release is Klay like..

Trade Bogi maybe? 😀

Edited by terrell
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, AtLaS said:

Good b/c I fear we are just going to salary dump Dre.  

This team who is desparate for wings, 3pt shooting, defense and ability to create offense when Trae isn't in the game is looking to trade Hunter.   I just don't get it, he's a perfect fit for what we need.  Unless we are getting a clear upgrade let's not trade him, his contract really isn't that bad.

Capela I could see, if we can get a floor spacer at the 5.  

Yes but…

I would doubt any other team will trade us an upgrade at wing for Hunter or an upgrade at C for Capela. 

We would likely need to trade a wing (Hunter or Bogi) to a team that needs one but has a C that improves our team and vice versa trade CC to a team in need of a C that has excess wings. 
Ideal hypothetical of course. 

40 minutes ago, AHF said:

I do think our depth right now is MUCH better than last year.  Guys I expect to be new additions to the rotation (not the roster but the rotation) in bold:

Trae / Bufkin 

Bogi / DysonBufkin 

JJ / Nance / Gueye 

OO / CC 

So for me, it is DJM and Bey out Bufkin, Dyson, Risacher, Gueye, Nance in.  I expect we'll add a vet backup PG at some point.  Not sure why we couldn't have added Delon Wright given how little he agreed to take but that is done at this point.  Guys who really shouldn't have been playing but were in there like Trent, Wes, Pat, etc. are gone and some of the young guys who got zero run last year have the chance to step up and get some opportunity this year, imo.  

Is Kris Dunn signed for next year?  If not, while he is not really a point guard, he should still be cheap and can at least provide similar POA defense to Wright and his shooting has been moving in the right direction.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Yes but…

I would doubt any other team will trade us an upgrade at wing for Hunter or an upgrade at C for Capela. 

We would likely need to trade a wing (Hunter or Bogi) to a team that needs one but has a C that improves our team and vice versa trade CC to a team in need of a C that has excess wings. 
Ideal hypothetical of course. 

I just see us as way too thin at SF to trade Hunter without getting a SF back.  If he gets hurt, that is pretty much loading it on Risacher which is a lot for any rookie on a team with aspirations to make the playoffs and avoid the play-in.

2 hours ago, AHF said:

This feels like the same half measure right now.  Keep Trae but don't actually try to win.  If we are trying, we are failing.

Lots of bad decisions compounding one on another.  No real vision.  Execution lacking.

They did try to win.  They paid every core piece on the ECF roster and then traded for a second star in Murray.  

Those were bad decisions, but I reject the premise of not trying to win.  

They are trying to execute a better vision now, but if you make every post filled with negative takes you won’t appreciate what they are trying to do.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Packfill said:

Is Kris Dunn signed for next year?  If not, while he is not really a point guard, he should still be cheap and can at least provide similar POA defense to Wright and his shooting has been moving in the right direction.

Pretty sure I read that he signed somewhere.  Too lazy to look tho. 🥱 

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, AHF said:

Trae / Bufkin 

Bogi / DysonBufkin 

JJ / Nance / Gueye 

OO / CC 

Delon would have been nice, I think the coaching staff is ready to give Kobe a lot more minutes though -- Kobe did look good last year, albeit in limited playing time.  Biggest questions for me are:

• How many minutes does Risacher get?
    • Does he spend any time in College Park
    • Does he enter the starting lineup at some point next season
  • What kind of progress can we see on Daniels shot?
  • How does Kobe look with more minutes?
  • How does the offense look with Trae + 4 guys bought into the system?
  • How does the defense look with a real POA defender in place of Murray?
  • Our bench appears, on paper, to be upgraded already -- will the results match that?
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

They did try to win.  They paid every core piece on the ECF roster and then traded for a second star in Murray.  

Those were bad decisions, but I reject the premise of not trying to win.  

They are trying to execute a better vision now, but if you make every post filled with negative takes you won’t appreciate what they are trying to do.  

Then their evaluation process is broke as hell. Perhaps it’s better now. Perhaps not, but all they’ve done is proven that they have mastered the mid game and to this point until otherwise shown, their winning strategy has been subpar. "Want to, or not.”

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Jj

We have better depth at PF but I'm not counting on much from Gueye.  JJ has to be the main man there this season, imo.  Would love to see us go big from time to time but that is going to be a small % of the time where JJ is at the 3.