• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Draft Over: What's Next?

JayBirdHawk

22 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

We all know that this is all fake!  Sarr has no shooting ability (Offense) and we've all been told this already.  Therefore, this just can't be true.  Someone selling Atlanta a dud!  He can't shoot!!

:ahf:

• Like 3

• Moderators
Just now, REHawksFan said:

I personally think this logic is flawed and ridiculous because trying to rebuild with the Spurs seems perilous and dumb.   

:yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Will just say this once.  I enjoy watching big men shoot undefended jumpers in a gym but I've seen too many clips of Shaq, etc. draining jumpers to buy into that.  I expect our front office has better data to use to determine if guys are projectable to develop viable jumpers in the NBA.  (Heck, I'd just look at ft% over summer gym clips).

It's positive but KB told me this ain't real when I tried to use it for Edey. 

4 minutes ago, Bonzaii58 said:

I agree. Can’t trade both. This is all really interesting. I don’t think we should trade Trae but at this point, I do think there is a real chance it happens. If that proves true, I hope we at least keep Murray and get another star back for pair with Murray and keep #1 pick. 

I hope we don't. You can still tank and have a pulse. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Will just say this once.  I enjoy watching big men shoot undefended jumpers in a gym but I've seen too many clips of Shaq, etc. draining jumpers to buy into that.  I expect our front office has better data to use to determine if guys are projectable to develop viable jumpers in the NBA.  (Heck, I'd just look at ft% over summer gym clips).

Agreed 1000%.  I've at least seen Sarr attempting 3's and midrange shots in game and getting some decent looking ones to go down.  Some contested...as opposed to say OO who looks good in practice and is hitting a few wide open 3's (and nothing in the mid range).  They were optimistic OO could shoot based on his FT form.  So I'm a bit more optimistic there with Sarr given that he's at least done it in game.

1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

That just seems obvious. He should have just quoted Trae on his Pod where he said he wants to win now and he understands that sometimes teams aren't about that right now.  He also said he wants to be a Hawk and hasn't mentioned forcing a trade anywhere. It's obvious Trae wants to win now and as long as the Hawks are working in that direction, he'll be on board. 

I actually think a lot of the public supposition about Trade being traded is just educated guesses that with the 1st pick, the hawks may desire to rebuild instead of continuing on and if they do, trading Trae is going to get them the most assets in return PLUS he's not going to want to play through a rebuild. 

I personally think this logic is flawed and ridiculous because trying to rebuild with the Spurs seems perilous and dumb.   

I think we can build a team that makes the playoffs and competes.  Trae just needs length around him and shooters.  If we can keep it competitive 4-5 seed, pushing for the 2-3, I think he'll be ok.  We can't miss the playoffs though or keep getting dusted in the 1st round.

We have to eventually put a contender around him, but we've got a couple of years to figure that out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Agreed 1000%.  I've at least seen Sarr attempting 3's and midrange shots in game and getting some decent looking ones to go down.  Some contested...as opposed to say OO who looks good in practice and is hitting a few wide open 3's (and nothing in the mid range).  They were optimistic OO could shoot based on his FT form.  So I'm a bit more optimistic there with Sarr given that he's at least done it in game.

I think we can build a team that makes the playoffs and competes.  Trae just needs length around him and shooters.  If we can keep it competitive 4-5 seed, pushing for the 2-3, I think he'll be ok.  We can't miss the playoffs though or keep getting dusted in the 1st round.

We have to eventually put a contender around him, but we've got a couple of years to figure that out.

Building a team that can consistently be better than the Pacers, Magic, and Cavs this offseason shouldn't be hard(for a normal FO....), and like you say, being a top 5ish seed who consistently wins 45+ kinda makes asking for a trade pretty unreasonable. 

And I don't think Trae would want to look unreasonable. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, AHF said:

i'd love to think so

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

If the Hawks kept the 10 pick I'd be totally down with drafting Edey.  Fit matters, but I'm still intrigued by how he's going to translate for whomever drafts him.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, NekiEcko said:

I wish they do five on five scrimmages like how the Senior Bowl is in CFB, I want to see them in live action against each other (too much of an injury risk)

They do have a 5v5. 

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

He shot 70% from the free throw line as a 19 year old.  I think that shows some potential to shoot.  His midrange game is actually really good as well.  He has a ton of potential. 

Just now, NBASupes said:

They do have a 5v5. 

I don't think everyone is required to participate in that though, are they? 

• Like 2

Just now, marco102 said:

He shot 70% from the free throw line as a 19 year old.  I think that shows some potential to shoot.  His midrange game is actually really good as well.  He has a ton of potential. 

I don't think everyone is required to participate in that though, are they? 

Correct, they aren't. Mainly 2nd rounders

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I wasn't commenting on Sarr in particular.  I expect all these guys to bury a ton of open gym jumpers.  Game tape and ft% are two areas that offer promise for Sarr as someone with the potential for impactful offensive perimeter skills.  And I'd rely more heavily on both of those than I would this type of gym shooting.

• Like 2