• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Draft Over: What's Next?

JayBirdHawk

4 minutes ago, marco102 said:

He def is training like a big wing. I need him sending me videos of him working in the post. 

Meh, maybe but him being able to take his man out on offense and guard his man out there is a bonus, not a slight.  He'll work the paint but it's going to take time. His skillset is what I like.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm expecting him to start his career as a combo big playing mostly the 4.  I see him as a big with wing skills.  In this scenario, I am envisioning OO as our starting center next year.  (Of course I expected that this year and Snyder shut that down.)  

I don't currently have any expections of him working in the post offensively the next few years.  Learning to defend in the post is something I expect but as I previously posted I do expect him to be challenged in terms of strength early in his career.  Just don't think he'll have the booty not to get moved around some by smaller, stockier players or large big men.

Agreed on all of this.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I'm expecting him to start his career as a combo big playing mostly the 4.  I see him as a big with wing skills.  In this scenario, I am envisioning OO as our starting center next year.  (Of course I expected that this year and Snyder shut that down.)  

I don't currently have any expections of him working in the post offensively the next few years.  Learning to defend in the post is something I expect but as I previously posted I do expect him to be challenged in terms of strength early in his career.  Just don't think he'll have the booty not to get moved around some by smaller, stockier players or large big men.

Thats why the OO pairing makes a ton of sense to me, we just saw how Gobert struggled against Jokic and KAT  did much better due to his lower center of gravity.

Does anyone  remember when we still had Vince playing and he guarded Embiid better then any of our actual bigs lmao. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Nah.  We need just about everything he doesn't do well more than we need the things he does well. 

Hmm.. ya I guess, but he’s got that 5 tool thing goin on and is Trae’s bestie so they prolly be more excited to play with each other every game.

14 hours ago, marco102 said:

He def is training like a big wing. I need him sending me videos of him working in the post. 

He is what he is. I keep trying to tell ya'll this but the Marvin effect is too large here. Marvin was another who didn't play the way everyone including scouts wanted him to play like. 

For me, I have no issue with it. I just believe you should build on it and just give him a lot of time and patience but for guys on here, Reddit and Hawks Twitter, the disappointment would be astronomical as this means there is zero chance he's the player you want him to be. 

To me, he needs to go to Portland. That's the perfect place. No one cares, they aren't trying to win, they are at least two years away, Rip City doesn't have anyone so he can go crazy in the Gleague or even if he doesn't play in RIP City, he gets a lot of freedom with Portland coming off the bench for Grant and even playing some SF which might be best for him at this early stage with no expectation to play well. So what if he sucks right now, we are just developing him. 

Sure, some fans will say he's a bust but they will be patience. A team like Atlanta couldn't be a worst situation. They want to win. They have Trae. He's a shit fit with Trae. Everyone where who says otherwise just ignores the obvious and focuses on their dream that he can be a player that he's not because he has the traits they desire. Someone here even said, I don't care if someone said Sarr offense is bad, that's not true in my eyes, JJ can run offense for Sarr. Shit like this what I call the Marvin effect. Turning him into a player he's not because he has the traits you desire. NBA players don't run this way and when a player does do this like say JJ. It takes at least two full seasons and you have to put in elite work in. It's not something that can happen overnight. 

The 2k mindset is what I think you see from people on here and other forms of Hawks fans. Even some draftniks but at least they clarify it will take time and years and just protecting down the road. On here, it's literally about his rookie year. 

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

From the minute we moved up I said the following:

...I don't have the patience to look for older posts, but I like you said, no matter who we took in the draft, it does not preclude the FO from investing in the rest of the roster from an over depth and real NBA talent perspective. No one player drafted will vault the team into the top 4 next season.

I didn't want to put words in your mouth but you were one I was specifically thinking about that had made that statement.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[Some people] who say we need to be patience are the same ones saying he's can used like Claxton, Lively, Chet, Wemby, etc. At the end of the day, they don't see him as a project. If they did, I wouldn't really have much to say about Sarr. 

They played the highlights. They have identified he's the one with star potential. So they are sold he's the right pick. There is nothing wrong with that. 

The problem comes when someone like me comes in and says, hey, there are legit concerns about Sarr. The fit isn't good here. The expectations will be exceptional. He's raw offensively. Defensively he's special as a big wing but bad at a big and he's basically a terrible fit with our team. 

But [sometimes people say] he's the next Wemby and Chet. He's the next JJJ, Claxton, Mobley. This is where the bullshit is. He's nothing like them. He is who he is. Can he become much better, absolutely! But that can happen to anyone in this draft. What I know for a fact is PROGRESSION is NOT LINEAR. 

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

From the minute we moved up I said the following:

...I don't have the patience to look for older posts, but I like you said, no matter who we took in the draft, it does not preclude the FO from investing in the rest of the roster from an over depth and real NBA talent perspective. No one player drafted will vault the team into the top 4 next season.

Jay, you literally made a post that he could be like Lively for us. 

Lively is one limited guy but he is what he is and what he was is an optimal fit for the Hawks, Mavs, and Clippers with Harden, Luka, and Trae. 

Sarr is a terrible fit for us. He doesn't do none of the things well that we really need. That's a massive problem. That sounds like Marvin. Being good at things we don't really need 

9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Headline doesn’t really match the article.  They do think we should resign Bey, and then they discuss Hunter’s pros and cons.

With Bey, Vit, Hunter, Lundy, and AJ were either set at SF or need to move somebody.   

Our roster is so funky.  In some ways we have holes everywhere in other ways we have a full roster.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Jay, you literally made a post that he could be like Lively for us. 

Sigh :blanky:. It's easy to find EXACTLY what I said.

On 5/16/2024 at 12:51 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

It's all about expectations. I'm not going overboard with sky high epectations.

If he can provide a little more than what Derreck Lively provided this year off the bench in year one - cool.  

• Like 3

• Moderators

People - please stop imputing motives, putting words in people’s mouths, and trying to ridicule others.  Most everyone here is an adult.  This shouldn’t be so hard.  Just quote the person’s words if you want to respond to them.  It will save you and me a lot of trouble.

• Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Sigh :blanky:. It's easy to find EXACTLY what I said.

I wasn't even referring to this quote. I was referring to a tweet you posted most likely from Grant Shirley or Zach Langley.

Lively is miles better at the stuff he does than Sarr is and we need what Lively does. We don't need the stuff that Sarr does. Sarr is a nice to have