• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Draft Over: What's Next?

JayBirdHawk

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I wasn't even referring to this quote. I was referring to a tweet you posted most likely from Grant Shirley or Zach Langley.

Lively is miles better at the stuff he does than Sarr is and we need what Lively does. We don't need the stuff that Sarr does. Sarr is a nice to have 

Ok, so who do you think the Hawks should pick at #1? 

HAHA JK

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I wasn't even referring to this quote. I was referring to a tweet you posted most likely from Grant Shirley or Zach Langley.

Ok.

But please don't assign someone else's specific thoughts to me, particularly when my initial response was specific to @REHawksFan in reference 'to people on here'.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hawkman said:

I think he WILL help the Hawks right away if given minutes. Having a 7'1" guy with a 7'5" wingspan that can guard on the perimeter and provide paint protection will have an immediate impact on this team. This team's biggest issue last season was defense. As far as offense is concerned, all he has to do is catch lobs and shoot the occasional jumper and he'll be fine. I see Sarr as a bigger, stronger Mo G with more basketball experience and defensive polish.

He provides NO paint protection! 

Thats what gets on my nerves. Sell him for what he is. Not what you want him to be

6 minutes ago, hawkman said:

I think he WILL help the Hawks right away if given minutes. Having a 7'1" guy with a 7'5" wingspan that can guard on the perimeter and provide paint protection will have an immediate impact on this team. This team's biggest issue last season was defense. As far as offense is concerned, all he has to do is catch lobs and shoot the occasional jumper and he'll be fine. I see Sarr as a bigger, stronger Mo G with more basketball experience and defensive polish.

Would be awesome if that transpires.  I'm just not expecting it.  I won't call him a bust if he spends the entire year in CP or plays only bit minutes in blowouts.  I hope that's not the case, but on a team that needs to be competing for the playoffs, I'm not of the opinion that a 19-yo rookie is going to play a pivotal part.  I do think he's closer to making an impact off the bench on defense than on offense, but I still don't expect a ton from him.  

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, REHawksFan said:

Would be awesome if that transpires.  I'm just not expecting it.  I won't call him a bust if he spends the entire year in CP or plays only bit minutes in blowouts.  I hope that's not the case, but on a that needs to be competing for the playoffs, I'm not of the opinion that a 19-yo rookie is going to play a pivotal part.  I do think he's closer to making an impact off the bench defense than on offense, but I still don't expect a ton from him.  

If he's the pick, I have a feeling we will all be believers after Summer League. 

• Like 3

Wassermans Mock today has Hawks taking Risacher and Edey at 18

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10121302-2024-nba-mock-draft-new-no-1-post-combine-2-round-predictions

Wasserman usually gets the top 5 players right although there is some variance in order like Suggs to Orlando or Banchero to Orlando instead of Jabari

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Ok, so who do you think the Hawks should pick at #1? 

HAHA JK

People laughed when I said the Hawks must trade for Gobert. 

They laughed when I said Murray and Trae wouldn't work during trade talks. 

Keep laughing because we doing nothing but crying as a franchise.

I am absolutely fine with Risacher at 1. He opens a lot of options for trades with Murray and gives us a dynamic SF combo with Hunter. 

That said, I would like him with Trae. He's a terrific spot up open shooter. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

@NBASupes If Sarr is the pick, what's your mindset going forward? What does success look like for the team and him individually? Or would you resign to the notion that the team is a ticking timebomb?

Can you envision a reality where the team is successful and he is a contributor to it? 

6 minutes ago, aali34 said:

@NBASupes If Sarr is the pick, what's your mindset going forward? What does success look like for the team and him individually? Or would you resign to the notion that the team is a ticking timebomb?

Can you envision a reality where the team is successful and he is a contributor to it? 

I've already explained what Sarr would be if we did him right and that's the JJ plan. 

Year 1- CP

Year 2 - full Atlanta, fighting for rotational mins

Year 3 - showtime, you should be fully baked. 

Let's say someone like Risacher is ready to start right now

He plays the 3. He gives us what Kevin did on offense but gives us what young Jalen McDaniels gives Minnesota on D. Yeah, take that kid. He's ready for the show. Yes, his upside ain't much but so what. He will help us with a lot more games just due to fit. 

To me, everyone in this draft is a clear reach at 1 but if you are drafting the best players. Edey or Risacher is your best options and Risacher fits Trae as well so it's not like the best options don't fit Trae.

Sarr is unquestionably the upside play but I just see a massive bust here. Square peg in a round hole was an issue for the entire first half of the season for us. Why continue what we know doesn't work

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

The post moves after the draft are going to be the bigger tell than the draft.  With the draft we will know or can assume/speculate on the FO vision for this team.  I still like Sarr the best.  He's my 1a. But I also see the Risacher viewpoint as well.  The Buzelis talk...Meh.

I am great with the plan laid out by Supes for Sarr.  I know it's the way to go.  The problem is, can the FO parlay the rest of the roster into more than a play-in team while showing patience with Sarr.  I'm not so sure about that.  I'm not moving off my want to take Sarr, like Supes with "he who shall remain nameless," but I acknowledge a couple of scenarios have presented themselves.  It's on the Hawks not to muck it up.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, deester11 said:

The post moves after the draft are going to be the bigger tell than the draft.  With the draft we will know or can assume/speculate on the FO vision for this team.  I still like Sarr the best.  He's my 1a. But I also see the Risacher viewpoint as well.  The Buzelis talk...Meh.

I am great with the plan laid out by Supes for Sarr.  I know it's the way to go.  The problem is, can the FO parlay the rest of the roster into more than a play-in team while showing patience with Sarr.  I'm not so sure about that.  I'm not moving off my want to take Sarr, like Supes with "he who shall remain nameless," but I acknowledge a couple of scenarios have presented themselves.  It's on the Hawks not to muck it up.

The big move is trading either Trae or DJM.  While the two of them are starting in the backcourt, this team will not be more than it has been which is a play-in team.  When you trade one of them, your return is the single biggest factor in how competitive the team will be next year even moreso than our draft pick.  We've got a number of useful to good vets who can be traded.   Which get traded and what the return is on any such trade is the most important part of the offseason.

If we do nothing, I expect nothing more than what we saw last season.  Basically .500 ball is the baseline.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

No rookie is going to be ready to contribute to this team next year.  Half the guys that had been in the NBA for a while struggled to get comfortable in Quins system last year.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

One of the best roamers in the draft doesn’t offer any paint protection???? Yeah you’ve already made your mind up on the player 

None at all. Lacks toughness, soft, doesn't embrace physicality in the paint not to mention, is extremely reactive which is great for rim protection but terrible for paint protection. Add the fact that he lacks mentality, bulk, strength. I have zero faith that he will ever become better than poor at paint pro. Look at OO and he was miles ahead and terrible at it as a prospect. 

JJ has good rim pro but no paint pro

OO is excellent at rim pro and poor at paint pro

CC even washed is good at both paint and rim pro. CC used to be excellent at both. That ECF year was the CC showcase. 

As much as I loved Al, even he was just average at paint pro

Sap offered none. Nor did Smoove

Edited by NBASupes