• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Draft Over: What's Next?

JayBirdHawk

37 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

We absolutely do not need to double dip this draft UNLESS it is for a combo like Sarr & Sheppard or Sarr and Castle

That is pretty much the only combo I would want

If the FO is strong about it I’m not opposed to it. Castle is one of the other prospects I would  really like next to Trae.

6 minutes ago, deester11 said:

I was going to say :

IMG_4393.gif

That's going to be me if I keep seeing people say the Hawks should pick up another pick to add Zach Edey.  

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, JTB said:

I like the idea of trading Murray for the spurs 4th or 8th pick and keeping our first pick.

Lets address our big man issues in a draft where teams are looking to get out of the lottery due to the so call weak draft class.

#1 - Draft Sarr

#4 - Draft Clingan (If this is the pick Spurs trade to us in a Murray deal)

or 

#8 - Draft Edey (if this is the pick the Spurs trade to us in a Murray deal)

Why would they draft another C? Sarr isn’t a PF and Johnson isn’t a SF. Horrible spacing.

43 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

Why would they draft another C? Sarr isn’t a PF and Johnson isn’t a SF. Horrible spacing.

Sarr isn’t a center either 🤦🏾‍♂️

21 minutes ago, JTB said:

Sarr isn’t a center either 🤦🏾‍♂️

Yikes what? Sarr isn’t a consistent shooter (I think he has potential) and you think he’s a 4? Lol 

How could anyone watch basketball in this era and think two 7 footers who are low volume shooters would work together? Wild….again terrible terrible spacing and Johnson isn’t a 3. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by GThawks3

1 hour ago, GThawks3 said:

Yikes what? Sarr isn’t a consistent shooter (I think he has potential) and you think he’s a 4? Lol 

How could anyone watch basketball in this era and think two 7 footers who are low volume shooters would work together? Wild….again terrible terrible spacing and Johnson isn’t a 3. 🤦‍♂️

You are what you can guard. In Sarrs case the only position he can’t defend 100% of the time are centers.

Jalen can guard SFs to think he can’t is ridiculous.

On 5/21/2024 at 1:04 PM, KB21 said:

He does an above average job of defending big wings.  However, he's very much below average when it comes to defending fours and twos.  

That means we need to move on from Dre.   Or at least change his role and bring in a better defensive wing/guard defender.

If he does a good job defending big wings, it's because they're slower than Dre.  If guards and smaller wings tend to blow right past Dre, he doesn't have the defensive value that people perceive him to have.

59 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but the Mavs were a few games over .500 and traded Seth Curry. Rishaun Holmes, and Grant Williams (plus picks) for Daniel Gafford and PJ Washington and it transformed their team. Guys that fit and gave them what they were lacking. Not even elite players, but ultra important guys to their team. 

The Knicks completely rebuilt their roster with guys that fit and play Thibs style. They traded for Hart, OG, Bojan, signed DiVicenzo and Brunson. 

The Pacers are still playing in large part because they traded for Siakam.  

It's just so incredibly frustrating seeing the fruits of all these other teams trades and signings while we sell off good players for spare parts. 

I desperately need Landry and Kyle and Quin to make a plan, stick to the plan, and build a team that fits. And plays hard. And complements one another. 

Cool so you’re in favor of drafting Edey? 

the best offensive fit next to Trae in this draft.

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but the Mavs were a few games over .500 and traded Seth Curry. Rishaun Holmes, and Grant Williams (plus picks) for Daniel Gafford and PJ Washington and it transformed their team. Guys that fit and gave them what they were lacking. Not even elite players, but ultra important guys to their team. 

The Knicks completely rebuilt their roster with guys that fit and play Thibs style. They traded for Hart, OG, Bojan, signed DiVicenzo and Brunson. 

It's just so incredibly frustrating seeing the fruits of all these other teams trades and signings while we sell off good players for spare parts. 

I desperately need Landry and Kyle and Quin to make a plan, stick to the plan, and build a team that fits. And plays hard. And complements one another. 

Chemistry is an elusive thing. One thing is for sure, if we are sticking with Trae, we need some defensive dogs. 

hace 16 horas, GThawks3 dijo:

I agree with going after one of the centers, Clingan or Edey. I see this draft as the big opportunity to address our frontcourt issues. Weak draft consensus, that means picks will be low cost picks. 2 dominant centers, that increases your chances. I see no issues on drafting both Sarr and Clingan, we just have a keeper on the frontcourt JJ and we need size, Sarr can play PF or C, in fact probably we don’t know yet his position, to play C he needs to add weight and volume. I like any combination of Sarr, JJ and Clingan. And we have trade pieces.

Personally I would trade Trae for 4 and 8, picks and fillers and pick Clingan and Castle or Sheppard or Knetch. That team would be a play in team again with a lot of potential and a lot of picks.

DJM/Bogi/Hunter/JJ/Clingan

Bufkin/Shepperd/Gueye/Bey/OO

8 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Those trades for Gafford and Washington were on target.  Killer moves.  
I think the Knicks might regret signing OG to a huge contract, but the Villanova guys are gonna sustain that franchise.

We could have moved Collins when he had value.  That was a huge miss.  Collins was completely fumbled from the signing to the timing of the trade.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gurpilo said:

I agree with going after one of the centers, Clingan or Edey. I see this draft as the big opportunity to address our frontcourt issues. Weak draft consensus, that means picks will be low cost picks. 2 dominant centers, that increases your chances. I see no issues on drafting both Sarr and Clingan, we just have a keeper on the frontcourt JJ and we need size, Sarr can play PF or C, in fact probably we don’t know yet his position, to play C he needs to add weight and volume. I like any combination of Sarr, JJ and Clingan. And we have trade pieces.

Personally I would trade Trae for 4 and 8, picks and fillers and pick Clingan and Castle or Sheppard or Knetch. That team would be a play in team again with a lot of potential and a lot of picks.

DJM/Bogi/Hunter/JJ/Clingan

Bufkin/Shepperd/Gueye/Bey/OO

IMG_6443.gif.ab9fa38d6e122ec8d8263f123d611c42.gif

• Premium Member

With the 1st pick, Kobe Bufkin, and possibly Mo Gueye being in the rotation next season, I don't think the Hawks want to add another rookie to that.  They're still trying to win next season.  They probably want to bring back more win now pieces with any possible trade of DJ.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

With the 1st pick, Kobe Bufkin, and possibly Mo Gueye being in the rotation next season, I don't think the Hawks want to add another rookie to that.  They're still trying to win next season.  They probably want to bring back more win now pieces with any possible trade of DJ.

People tend to forget that Kobe and Mo played only 23 nba games combined (17 and 6 respectively).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2