• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Draft Over: What's Next?

JayBirdHawk

Just to be clear the Mav’s top 8 playoff players by minutes per outside of Ky and Luka contain:

2 undrafted players

2 2nd rounders 

2 mid-firsts 

2 12th overall 

The Hawks 8 top rotational players outside Trae and DJ:

2 2nd rounders 

4 late first rounders 

2 lotto picks

The Hawks simply aren’t equipped to identify nor incorporate unheralded  players into contributing roles as currently constructed in the front office and on the floor.  I can’t imagine how much Hawks fans would crap on Kleber and Jones Jr for the many weaknesses they have.  Gafford is the same player type as Clint just more fluid.  PJ Washington has never been a notable target for acquisition here and we’ve seen him a lot.

Point is it’s easy af to fit around Luka.  We’ve known how difficult it is to build around Trae for some time now as this eloquent thread from 2 years ago lays out 😎

• Like 1

With less than a month to go before the draft, Atlanta is working through all possible scenarios, including selecting Sarr or Risacher, whom the Hawks immediately flew overseas to watch after the lottery with general manager Landry Fields, assistant general manager Kyle Korver, and head coach Quin Snyder on hand.

Following the combine and pro day events for several agencies, there remains a belief around the league that Atlanta will break up the backcourt pairing of Trae Young and Dejounte Murray. Several executives who spoke with HoopsHype say they value Murray over Young due to his contract length and average annual salary.

Should the Hawks select Sarr, center Clint Capela – who will be in the final year of his contract worth $22.27 million – is expected to be discussed in trade talks. Hawks forward De’Andre Hunter was another name rival executives expected to become available for Atlanta as the draft nears.

On 5/26/2024 at 2:03 PM, NBASupes said:

I'll go all offense. I really like our 2nd offense in the NBA with Nate. I just didn't like that it was too spamming but we were good at it. 

We had 

Trae

Kev

Bogi

JC

CC

It worked till the 4th and teams basically said, CC has to beat us and lol, we lost. 

I keep saying, if that's an offensive minded 5, we could be a top 5 NBA team.

I’m not opposed to going “all offense” what folks don’t get is that an elite offensive team can be very overwhelming vs opponents. An extremely powerful elite offense can be your defense.

you can argue that’s not the best approach to take as you still need quality defense.

im ok with both options myself. I believe we can have the best of both worlds in this draft! Get sarr and move back up to grab Edey.

that’s a full buy in , in my opinion for Trae. Year 1 & 2 sarr primary role will be defensive minded while his offense comes in place. IF we ever have to be quicker and longer we can move sarr to the 5 and OO to the 4, Jalen at the 3.

The draft is considered weak but we have so much potential to come away with the best of both worlds this draft it ain’t even funny!

OUR GOAL SHOULD BE TAKING CARE OF OUR BIG MAN ISSUES LONG TERM THIS DRAFT….we can have our own twin towers with Sarr and Edey! @terrell is behind this idea! Someone gets it! 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JTB said:

I’m not opposed to going “all offense” what folks don’t get is that an elite offensive team can be very overwhelming vs opponents. An extremely powerful elite offense can be your defense.

you can argue that’s not the best approach to take as you still need quality defense.

im ok with both options myself. I believe we can have the best of both worlds in this draft! Get sarr and move back up to grab Edey.

that’s a full buy in , in my opinion for Trae. Year 1 & 2 sarr primary role will be defensive minded while his offense comes in place. IF we ever have to be quicker and longer we can move sarr to the 5 and OO to the 4, Jalen at the 3.

The draft is considered weak but we have so much potential to come away with the best of both worlds this draft it ain’t even funny!

OUR GOAL SHOULD BE TAKING CARE OF OUR BIG MAN ISSUES LONG TERM THIS DRAFT….we can have our own twin towers with Sarr and Edey! @terrell is behind this idea! Someone gets it! 

How are you moving back up into the draft to get Edey? 

10 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You probably won't have to move that far up to do it ... but I've said too much. :stirthepot:

I owe yall some updates from 2025.  Stay tuned ... :alien:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, JTB said:

It's so annoying to me that this draft is considered "weak".  It's only because there isn't a LeBron/Wemby type talent in it.  The rest of the draft is always a crapshoot regardless.  I'd be willing to bet this draft produces as many all-stars as the average amount of any other draft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

Easy. Trade Murray to either the spurs or Detroit. With this draft being considered weak I’m sure it’s a lot easier to pull this off than it would be normally. Murray is on a great contract and wanted.

59 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You probably won't have to move that far up to do it ... but I've said too much. :stirthepot:

I owe yall some updates from 2025.  Stay tuned ... :alien:

LMAO!!! 🤣 f**k you KG! 😂 

25 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

It's so annoying to me that this draft is considered "weak".  It's only because there isn't a LeBron/Wemby type talent in it.  The rest of the draft is always a crapshoot regardless.  I'd be willing to bet this draft produces as many all-stars as the average amount of any other draft.

Agreed! I thought this draft was weak too but honestly there seems to be more defensive minded players in this draft than usual so the offense isn’t standing out therefore “weak” aka there are no clear cut offensive generational talents.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JTB said:

Easy. Trade Murray to either the spurs or Detroit. With this draft being considered weak I’m sure it’s a lot easier to pull this off than it would be normally. Murray is on a great contract and wanted.

LMAO!!! 🤣 f**k you KG! 😂 

Agreed! I thought this draft was weak too but honestly there seems to be more defensive minded players in this draft than usual so the offense isn’t standing out therefore “weak” aka there are no clear cut offensive generational talents.

Why would you want more players from a weak draft though?  Wouldn't you want to trade Murray to the Spurs for a player on their roster? If not, you should use the pick in the trade for an established player such as Mikal Bridges or someone who can contribute immediately. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm ready for Trae to play with a 7x All-Star and 3x All-NBA player in his prime who positionally fits perfectly with Trae.  Then let's compare.

Good points but Who’s that player available to be next to Trae ?

we heard Giannis but do we really Want to trade our #1 pick for a star player who may be injury prone now ?

14 minutes ago, JTB said:

LMAO!!! 🤣 f**k you KG! 😂 

Haha!  Fk you too, jt.

And it doesn't matter how weak or strong the draft is.  We don't need more rookies.  

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, AHF said:

Their playoff roster by minutes outside of Luka:

#1 overall pick and trade acquisition Kyrie Irving - before joining Luka 7x All-Star & 3x All-NBA

#12 lottery pick and trade acquisition PJ Washington - before joining Luka started 236 games

Established vet Derrick Jones Jr. - before joining Luka already played for 4 teams and started 100 games

Elite shot blocker and trade acquisition Daniel Gafford - before joining Luka already started more than 160 games and 4x leader in blocked shots

#12 lottery pick Derek Lively - has played with Luka all his career and drafted in Dallas after failed to make the play-in game

#18 pick Josh Green - has played with Luka all his career after Dallas 

Trade acquisition Tim Hardaway Jr. - established vet before joining Luka and already a highly paid sniper (was Dallas's highest paid player when he joined)

International FA Max Kleiber - before joining Luka already an established vet in Europe and started half his games in Dallas w/o Luka

So almost everyone of these players was an established NBA quality player before joining Dallas and none of them elevated their game in big ways when they played with Luka.  

I'm ready for Trae to play with a 7x All-Star and 3x All-NBA player in his prime who positionally fits perfectly with Trae.  Then let's compare.

Ohhhhhhhh .... last time I seen AH drop tha mic this hard is the last time he bann'd me!

🤓

Kidding, kidding ....

Seriously though, that post was a Thanos *snap*.... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

Why would you want more players from a weak draft though?  Wouldn't you want to trade Murray to the Spurs for a player on their roster? If not, you should use the pick in the trade for an established player such as Mikal Bridges or someone who can contribute immediately. 

I don’t think this draft is weak was my point. I actually see some very good value in this draft that can fit around Trae immediately.

we aren’t going to win in a trade vs the spurs. Getting one of their lottery picks is probably the best we can do which would be top notch to me.

i think the Mikal  Bridges trade rumors are pipe dream scenarios not something that can truly happen without giving up a lot more then just Murray. I prefer we just try to build within because despite what fans think, a rookie can come in and make impact to winning within a specific role.

here’s how I have it listed on my own big board:

Sarr, Clingan, Castle - can provide impact defensively right out the gate. Offense however will take a few seasons for each of them  to become any kind of realistic threat but they all possess something special offensively that can help year 1.

Edey, Risacher, Reed - can provide impact offensively right out the gate. Defensively they all need to be in specific schemes to not be a liability in my opinion. 

Not saying we’d take castle and then reed lol just saying that there’s good to great role impact players depending on where they end up and keep in mind I am keeping Trae in mind when doing my own fan scouting.  It’s all about keeping Trae and building around him! We already have the star just get good fitting players around him. We also already have vets…Trae, Bogi, Hunter, Bey, & even Capela if they decide to keep him. We need a mix of good long athletic talented players who can impact a role we need fulfilled but also have a ceiling to expand their potential to more over the next few seasons.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JTB said:

I don’t think this draft is weak was my point. I actually see some very good value in this draft that can fit around Trae immediately.

we aren’t going to win in a trade vs the spurs. Getting one of their lottery picks is probably the best we can do which would be top notch to me.

i think the Mikal  Bridges trade rumors are pipe dream scenarios not something that can truly happen without giving up a lot more then just Murray. I prefer we just try to build within because despite what fans think, a rookie can come in and make impact to winning within a specific role.

here’s how I have it listed on my own big board:

Sarr, Clingan, Castle - can provide impact defensively right out the gate. Offense however will take a few seasons for each of them  to become any kind of realistic threat but they all possess something special offensively that can help year 1.

Edey, Risacher, Reed - can provide impact offensively right out the gate. Defensively they all need to be in specific schemes to not be a liability in my opinion. 

Not saying we’d take castle and then reed lol just saying that there’s good to great role impact players depending on where they end up and keep in mind I am keeping Trae in mind when doing my own fan scouting.  It’s all about keeping Trae and building around him! We already have the star just get good fitting players around him. We also already have vets…Trae, Bogi, Hunter, Bey, & even Capela if they decide to keep him. We need a mix of good long athletic talented players who can impact a role we need fulfilled but also have a ceiling to expand their potential to more over the next few seasons.

Its only a "bad draft" because their isnt a generational player at the top.....I like Holland, Knect, Buzelis, Ware, and a few others too ...... I think theyll be some gems found in this draft..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, terrell said:

Its only a "bad draft" because their isnt a generational player at the top.....I like Holland, Knect, Buzelis, Ware, and a few others too ...... I think theyll be some gems found in this draft..

Forgot to mention knecht, Buzelis…instant offense impact from Knecht.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Been lurking and haven’t seen much discussion about Reed Sheppard. I don’t watch any college ball but his efficiency numbers are off the chart (52% on 4.4 3PA/game, eFG of 68%, TS of 70%). Looks like he contributes in other areas too (4.1 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 2.5 steals per game, averaging 29 minutes). I’m assuming he was more of a combo guard than a pure PG or SG.

Is the consensus that it’s a fit issue? Or he’s not worth #1 regardless of fit? I get the fit argument but the numbers scream Curry-lite to me. 

• Like 4