• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Draft Over: What's Next?

JayBirdHawk

3 minutes ago, supermariowest said:

Been lurking and haven’t seen much discussion about Reed Sheppard. I don’t watch any college ball but his efficiency numbers are off the chart (52% on 4.4 3PA/game, eFG of 68%, TS of 70%). Looks like he contributes in other areas too (4.1 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 2.5 steals per game, averaging 29 minutes). I’m assuming he was more of a combo guard than a pure PG or SG.

Is the consensus that it’s a fit issue? Or he’s not worth #1 regardless of fit? I get the fit argument but the numbers scream Curry-lite to me. 

Yeah, I’d consider him an off guard. Not a pure PG nor SG. He’s a really good utility guard who can do all the different parts well supporting those around him to help fill in any gaps that are needed on the floor, but I don’t think he could be a true PG or SG full time  

He can would fit well with JJ who could help shoulder some offensive creation responsibilities. 
I think a back court of him and Trae would be too small though. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Yeah, I’d consider him an off guard. Not a pure PG nor SG. He’s a really good utility guard who can do all the different parts well supporting those around him to help fill in any gaps that are needed on the floor, but I don’t think he could be a true PG or SG full time  

He can would fit well with JJ who could help shoulder some offensive creation responsibilities. 

Gotcha, thanks. Given your avatar, you’re probably more qualified to speak on him than most others here. If the Hawks move DJM for an early first (as has been rumored), I’d be happy to add Reed. Seems like a high floor, high ceiling glue guy who makes winning plays and can get a bucket (and also serve as an insurance policy if Trae asks out or if the FO decides to move on). I think San Antonio will grab him at 4 if he’s still on the board though. 

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, supermariowest said:

Been lurking and haven’t seen much discussion about Reed Sheppard. I don’t watch any college ball but his efficiency numbers are off the chart (52% on 4.4 3PA/game, eFG of 68%, TS of 70%). Looks like he contributes in other areas too (4.1 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 2.5 steals per game, averaging 29 minutes). I’m assuming he was more of a combo guard than a pure PG or SG.

Is the consensus that it’s a fit issue? Or he’s not worth #1 regardless of fit? I get the fit argument but the numbers scream Curry-lite to me. 

Fit issue and ceiling issue for me.  I think he is going to be a great 3rd guy for a team but think it is a low % (but possible if I squint) chance he is a true star but really high floor.  Not sure if he will guard SGs with his size and speed but he is a smart, productive, and efficient player across the board.  It speaks to one of Cal's limitations that Sheppard wasn't starting and playing more minutes in Lexington.  His efficiency numbers probably are a bit inflated since he came off the bench similar to what we saw with Hunter when he was in that role but it is more about him being an outstanding shooter who takes good shots.

He would ideally be on a team where he would pair with another big guard to help offset his size.  Combo guard is probably an ideal role.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, supermariowest said:

Gotcha, thanks. Given your avatar, you’re probably more qualified to speak on him than most others here. If the Hawks move DJM for an early first (as has been rumored), I’d be happy to add Reed. Seems like a high floor, high ceiling glue guy who makes winning plays and can get a bucket (and also serve as an insurance policy if Trae asks out or if the FO decides to move on). I think San Antonio will grab him at 4 if he’s still on the board though. 

I don't think he and Trae or DJM work as a defensive backcourt - too small.  Offensively, I think he would work better with either Trae or DJM than the two of them did together.  If he develops into a primary playmaker, it will be from development.  He didn't play that role in college but he was UK's best player last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supermariowest said:

If we were a team entering rebuild or if we knew for sure we were losing Trae then reed would be the undeniable pick this draft for the hawks. 

he’s damn good!

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, JTB said:

If we were a team entering rebuild or if we knew for sure we were losing Trae then reed would be the undeniable pick this draft for the hawks. 

he’s damn good!

I don’t know that he would be the undeniable pick at 1 regardless.  Usually teams draft for ceiling when rebuilding.  I also think he would not do well with DJM if we trade Trae (who guards the SG?).  He is damn good, though.

31 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don’t know that he would be the undeniable pick at 1 regardless.  Usually teams draft for ceiling when rebuilding.  I also think he would not do well with DJM if we trade Trae (who guards the SG?).  He is damn good, though.

Yeah let me clarify…if we didn’t have Trae or DJ, Reed would then be the undeniable pick.

but I agree that reed doesn’t fit our needs obviously however I do believe he may be the safest pick in this years draft class.

4 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

Only a few players in the league are a Great fit beside Trae imo..

Look how bad Murray's fit turned out to be.....When most fans thought he was the perfect partner...

At #1 you want to draft the BEST player.. PERIOD...(If not you miss out on Haliburton's for Okungwus)...

If he cant fit with Trae, maybe Trae is the problem...

You fill holes in FA/trades...

Im treating the NBA draft just like I do the NFL draft from here on out....... lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JTB said:

he’s damn good!

If he's the BPA take him...... Figure it out later...😀

10 minutes ago, terrell said:

If he's the BPA take him...... Figure it out later...😀

We already have two all star level point guards though. One with generational offensive talent.

we can’t agree on this one @terrell 😂 

I know how you feel about Trae but if the hawks get the right fitting pieces around him he will show why he’s worth that 40mil per season. In a way he’s already showing it with taking offenses to top 5 around him, even when the fit is off.

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, terrell said:

Only a few players in the league are a Great fit beside Trae imo..

Look how bad Murray's fit turned out to be.....When most fans thought he was the perfect partner...

At #1 you want to draft the BEST player.. PERIOD...(If not you miss out on Haliburton's for Okungwus)...

If he cant fit with Trae, maybe Trae is the problem...

You fill holes in FA/trades...

Im treating the NBA draft just like I do the NFL draft from here on out....... lol

The big misses on projecting DJM were:

1] It was thought he would do an amazing job defending SGs.  Turns out, he has been garbage versus them.  He needs to guard points.

2} It was thought he would do more than “your turn, my turn” with Trae.

Bogi is the easy comparison since he is a bad defender but has legit size and spreads the floor with his shot.  The team has been strong with Trae and Bogi together.

• Like 2

Reed will be a great pick for someone.. To me, the talent is almost equal between the top 3.. 

I think Reed has the potential impact of a Klay/Beal #2 type player

As for the #1 spot, it really boils down to what does the Hawks FO see that we don't

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

1] It was thought he would do an amazing job defending SGs.  Turns out, he has been garbage versus them.  He needs to guard points.

Bogi is the easy comparison since he is a bad defender but has legit size and spreads the floor with his shot.  The team has been strong with Trae and Bogi together.

The “your turn, my turn” approach was the most frustrating part of the experiment to me. Neither player learned how to be effective without the ball in their hands. I was hoping Trae would take a cue from Steph and just run people out of the gym. That guy never stops moving, and it’s more of a mindset than a skill. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

Agree, although I see a lot of screens being set for Curry - plays being run where the whole point is to create a mine field for the the defense where the end results is freeing Curry up at the end of it and I haven't seen any kind of parallel to that in terms of play design and action in Atlanta.  I was also hoping to see some of that this year and didn't for whatever reason.

This. Has to be part of the playbook so screens can be effectively set.

5 hours ago, AHF said:

Knect is Bogi with more athleticism...😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, supermariowest said:

The “your turn, my turn” approach was the most frustrating part of the experiment to me. Neither player learned how to be effective without the ball in their hands. I was hoping Trae would take a cue from Steph and just run people out of the gym. That guy never stops moving, and it’s more of a mindset than a skill. 

Trae will NEVER be Steph Curry as far as moving without the ball.. Yall can give that shit up.... lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, terrell said:

Knect is Bogi with more athleticism...😀

If we end up with him, I definitely hope you are right.  But I've seen a lot of college sharpshooters enter the NBA and Bogi is better than the vast majority of them.  Better than Bogi is a lofty prediction but one I'd not entirely rule out.  If he really is Bogi with more athleticism, he should be going top 5 for sure.

• Like 3

Some decent hypothetical trades for us..

Which is yall's favorite and least favorite? 😀

Trade #1

Orlando gets Murray

Hawks get Anthony Black, 2024 Rd 1, 2025 Rd(via Denver), 2028 Rd 1

Trade #2

Nets get Murray

Hawks get DFS, Schröder, 2029 rd1, 2030 rd1

Trade #3

Pels get Murray

Hawks get Herb Jones, Larry Nance, 2024 Rd 1, 2027 Rd 1(via Miwaukee)

Trade #4

Spurs get  Trae

Hawks get Keldon Johnson,  Malaki Branham, Blake Wesley, 2024 rd1, 2024 rd1(via Toronto), 2027 rd 1

Trade #5

Lakers get Trae

Hawks get Rui, Austin Reaves, Jared Vanderbilt, Christain Wood, 2029 rd 1, 2031 Rd 1

Trade #6

OKC gets Dre 

Hawks get Ousmane Deing, 2024 rd 1(via Houston)

Trade #7

GS get Capela

Hawks get Gary Payton Jr, Looney, Moses Moody

Trade #8

Nets get Capela, Dre

Hawks get Ben Simmons

Edited by terrell

4 minutes ago, terrell said:

Some decent hypothetical trades for us..

Which is yall's favorite and least favorite? 😀

Trade #1

Orlando gets Murray

Hawks get Anthony Black, 2024 Rd 1, 2025 Rd(via Denver), 2028 Rd 1

Trade #2

Nets get Murray

Hawks get DFS, Schröder, 2029 rd1, 2030 rd1

Trade #3

Pels get Murray

Hawks get Herb Jones, Larry Nance, 2024 Rd 1, 2027 Rd 1(via Miwaukee)

Trade #4

Spurs get  Trae

Hawks get Keldon Johnson,  Malaki Branham, Blake Wesley, 2024 rd1, 2024 rd1(via Toronto), 2027 rd 1

Trae #5

Lakers get Trae

Hawks get Rui, Austin Reaves, Jared Vanderbilt, Christain Wood, 2029 rd 1, 2031 Rd 1

Trade #6

OKC gets Dre 

Hawks get Ousmane Deing, 2024 rd 1(via Houston)

Trade #7

GS get Capela

Hawks get Gary Payton Jr, Looney, Moses Moody

Trade #8

Nets get Capela, Dre

Hawks get Ben Simmons

3 is the best, but I’d also like 7

• Like 3