• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Draft Over: What's Next?

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

atl.png&h=110&w=110

Atlanta Hawks

Offseason priorities

• The direction with the No. 1 overall pick: Keep, move back or package with a player.

• Does the two-year body of work warrant trade discussions for Trae Young or Dejounte Murray?

• The options to shed salary: Atlanta is a projected luxury tax and first-apron team.

• The price point on a new contract for restricted free agent Saddiq Bey.

• The Jalen Johnson rookie extension.

The 2024 draft

• First round: No. 1 (own)

• Second round: None

Draft notebook

This is a challenging year to select No. 1, with no consensus pick on who's the top player in the draft, and the Hawks have their work cut out for them after unexpectedly winning the draft lottery. Top options Alex SarrZaccharie Risacher and Donovan Clingan address a range of potential needs across the frontcourt, but each should help to shore up Atlanta's defense. If there's an opportunity to trade back and create value during this important offseason, Atlanta will have to consider it. The Hawks will need to think big picture with their roster to maximize the value and fit of whichever prospect they select No. 1. -- Jeremy Woo, ESPN draft analyst

Team needs

• Rim-protector and defensive depth on the perimeter

• Playmaker who can create shots for others

• Shooting off the bench

• Improved availability from the rotation forwards (De'Andre Hunter, Bey, Johnson)

• Forward depth

Future draft assets rating: 3 out of 10

The Hawks will send their 2025 and 2027 picks to San Antonio as part of the trade that brought Murray to Atlanta in 2022. San Antonio also has the right to swap firsts in 2026. The first allowable year the Hawks can trade a first is 2029. Atlanta has six second-round picks available.

Cash: $7.0 million (to send) | $5.9 million (to receive)

Cap space breakdown: Including the first pick in the draft, Atlanta has $176 million in salary next season. Because of the $5 million in unlikely bonuses of Murray, Hunter and Clint Capela, Atlanta is over the first apron.

CBA impact: The Hawks will trigger the $178.6 million first apron in July if they take back more money in a trade, acquire a player in a sign-and-trade or use a preexisting trade exception. Atlanta has a $23.0 million, a $2.6 million and a $2.3 million trade exception. The $189.6 million second apron is triggered if the Hawks aggregate outgoing contracts or send cash in a trade.

Dates to watch

• June 29: The deadline to exercise the $2.2 million team option of Garrison Mathews. The contract becomes guaranteed if the option is exercised; the $2.7 million contract of Bruno Fernando becomes guaranteed; the deadline to extend one-year qualifying offers for Bey, Vit Krejci and Seth Lundy.

Extension eligible: Young, Johnson and Capela (as of July 6); Mathews; Fernando (as of Oct. 2)

Free agent status

• Saddiq Bey | Bird | Restricted free agent

• Garrison Mathews | Bird | Team option

• Wesley Matthews | Non-Bird | Unrestricted free agent

• Trent Forrest | Early Bird | UFA

• Vit Krejci | Non-Bird | RFA

• Seth Lundy | Non-Bird | RFA

• Dylan Windler | Non-Bird | UFA

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/40286276/nba-free-agency-2024-priorities-player-needs-30-teams-draft-outlook

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2024 at 1:45 PM, gurpilo said:

This TRADE IS horrible for Atl, #1 DJM and OO for a buch if role players, that is really horrible 

Fit. If you want to win, you have to get players that fit. Right now, this team is filled with talented players that don’t fit with Trae (he needs positional size/toughness around him). If you’re building around Trae, your starters need to be at least 1 POA/perimeter hustle defender who shoots over 40% on C&S 3’s, 1 athletic rim attacker, and 1 mobile PnR and defensive anchor with size. Suggs (2nd-Team All-Defense, 40.7 3P%, & MIP candidate), Herb (1st-Team All-Defense & 42.4 3P%), JJ, and Allen make the starting lineup so versatile and fit the bill perfectly! Are we overpaying in this trade… yes. Does this trade make this team built better to win now… ABSOLUTELY! Would the Hawks be crazy to trade the franchise’s first ever #1 lottery pick (I believe in Alex “STARR”)… ABSOLUTELY!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AHF said:

I also don't think Clingan will still be on the board at #7.

He has to. His legacy awaits … in Portland. He’s going to Portland. He was born to go to Portland.

4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

He has to. His legacy awaits … in Portland. He’s going to Portland. He was born to go to Portland.

Quin really likes him. Seems like a reach to take a non shooting big at #1 though. There are no sure things in this draft though.

4 hours ago, djjob23 said:

Fit. If you want to win, you have to get players that fit. Right now, this team is filled with talented players that don’t fit with Trae (he needs positional size/toughness around him). If you’re building around Trae, your starters need to be at least 1 POA/perimeter hustle defender who shoots over 40% on C&S 3’s, 1 athletic rim attacker, and 1 mobile PnR and defensive anchor with size. Suggs (2nd-Team All-Defense, 40.7 3P%, & MIP candidate), Herb (1st-Team All-Defense & 42.4 3P%), JJ, and Allen make the starting lineup so versatile and fit the bill perfectly! Are we overpaying in this trade… yes. Does this trade make this team built better to win now… ABSOLUTELY! Would the Hawks be crazy to trade the franchise’s first ever #1 lottery pick (I believe in Alex “STARR”)… ABSOLUTELY!

Bro, Atlanta isn't trading their 1st overall pick for players unless it's a legit star which isn't available. It's gonna be for other picks, likely in the same draft. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Bro, Atlanta isn't trading their 1st overall pick for players unless it's a legit star which isn't available. It's gonna be for other picks, likely in the same draft. 

Cool! So based on this logic… Hawks aren’t trading the #1 pick for an NBA player unless its a star… so they’ll trade the #1 pick for lots of other picks likely in this years draft… for more bites at the rookie apple to get a star… in a draft that doesn’t contain a sure-fire star-potential player… putting us in rebuild mode… not in win now mode where Trae wants to be… got it.

If we want to keep Trae, then you build around him with win now players. If Hawks FO risks trading the #1 lottery pick (FIRST EVER mind you) to trade down for lots of unproven NBA rookies, then they are putting a lot of faith in their scouting/draft decision making, which I haven’t trusted since they traded Luka, traded for Hunter, didn’t draft Haliburton (regardless of his feelings), didn’t draft Tari Eason, and didn’t trade up for Lively II.

The #1 pick has less value this year because there is no stand out star-potential player (Sarr is the closest) and they are willing to trade it because Sarr is a PF and they believe Clingan is the answer?!? The dude did terrible in the combine vert/sprint/agility tests and has already had foot issues. Clilngan has one of the best floors in this class and will likely be a very solid rim protector/rebounder, but you don’t trade the #1 pick for someone someone like Kessler who’s not a modern NBA mobile/vertical big. 

If the Hawks are crazy enough to trade the #1 pick (which sounds like doesn’t have the value for a proven NBA star) and it was for either unproven high-floor rookies or players that are NBA proven that fit with Trae’s window, I’m picking the latter any and every day. If the former, say hello to the start of our next rebuild without our next 3 picks (gifting SAS 3 top 6 lottery picks) or a star.

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, djjob23 said:

Cool! So based on this logic… Hawks aren’t trading the #1 pick for an NBA player unless its a star… so they’ll trade the #1 pick for lots of other picks likely in this years draft… for more bites at the rookie apple to get a star… in a draft that doesn’t contain a sure-fire star-potential player… putting us in rebuild mode… not in win now mode where Trae wants to be… got it.

If we want to keep Trae, then you build around him with win now players. If Hawks FO risks trading the #1 lottery pick (FIRST EVER mind you) to trade down for lots of unproven NBA rookies, then they are putting a lot of faith in their scouting/draft decision making, which I haven’t trusted since they traded Luka, traded for Hunter, didn’t draft Haliburton (regardless of his feelings), didn’t draft Tari Eason, and didn’t trade up for Lively II.

The #1 pick has less value this year because there is no stand out star-potential player (Sarr is the closest) and they are willing to trade it because Sarr is a PF and they believe Clingan is the answer?!? The dude did terrible in the combine vert/sprint/agility tests and has already had foot issues. Clilngan has one of the best floors in this class and will likely be a very solid rim protector/rebounder, but you don’t trade the #1 pick for someone someone like Kessler who’s not a modern NBA mobile/vertical big. 

If the Hawks are crazy enough to trade the #1 pick (which sounds like doesn’t have the value for a proven NBA star) and it was for either unproven high-floor rookies or players that are NBA proven that fit with Trae’s window, I’m picking the latter any and every day. If the former, say hello to the start of our next rebuild without our next 3 picks (gifting SAS 3 top 6 lottery picks) or a star.

I think this is an excellent point.

If you're trading off the only spot that has projectable "star level" impact, just trading for players you KNOW are good, is a worthy option. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, djjob23 said:

Let’s just get the finals over with (hopefully tonight), and then teams can start negotiating with their own free agents in a couple days, and trades will start getting lined up.......

Until then I take anything I hear/read with a grain of salt.. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

One thing we can count on is that the #1 pick will not be traded BEFORE the draft. If Hawks are trading out of #1, it will be well after the draft. 

Can you imagine if it happens during the draft???

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Can you imagine if it happens during the draft???

😂 with us, ya I can. It’s like the scoreboard issue at the Hawks games with the clocks the last 40 years 🤦‍♀️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Who is Yves Missi? I don’t know this prospect. 🤔 

When I thought we were getting the Sac pick...he was in a group of Centers in that range along with Kal-el Ware.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That isn’t an archetype that is easy to find.  I think they are better off letting Jalen become the secondary creator on offense and finding a 3 and D shooter.  I do, however, believe that Kobe Bufkin could become that.  

• Like 1