• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Draft Over: What's Next?

JayBirdHawk

7 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Everyone here seems to think "just let Trae cook" is our answer to everything. I completely disagree. If people here think Trae taking a milllion shots a game is our pathway to success, I don't even know what to say. Teams are going to completely smother him. We are in for a long season. 

Just like Trae’s first couple seasons, I think people have faith that Trae will get easy shots for others.  It isn’t about Trae jacking shots up for himself.  
Even on the ECF team we didn’t have other dominant on ball threats outside of Trae.  

12 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Just like Trae’s first couple seasons, I think people have faith that Trae will get easy shots for others.  It isn’t about Trae jacking shots up for himself.  
Even on the ECF team we didn’t have other dominant on ball threats outside of Trae.  

We need an on ball threat outside of Trae. Just because D. Murray didn't work doesn't mean we don't need one. Without one Trae is inevitably going to overextend himself, leading to poor efficiency. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

We need an on ball threat outside of Trae. Just because D. Murray didn't work doesn't mean we don't need one. Without one Trae is inevitably going to overextend himself, leading to poor efficiency. 

It's definitely a dimension that we need to be thinking about.  I'd like to know what their plan A, B, and C is for the rest of the offseason.

On 6/29/2024 at 7:21 PM, bird_dirt said:

This is going to be a big season for Trae (depending on what we end up with). We’re finally getting a collection of good defenders, but they’re going to be offensively challenged to say the least. Trae is going to have to really put in some work to squeeze more points out of the team. I have a feeling he’s going to take more shots at a lower efficiency, and his assists will go down because he won’t have enough players that can convert his dimes to points. 

I worry that weight will eventually wear on him and we could see something similar to the Miami series come playoff time. 

I expect JJ will continue to grow, and Bogi is still around but I don’t think that will be enough. 
Maybe we get lucky and French Vanilla is better than expected. Hunter can’t be counted on for anything more than popping off once every three weeks or so. 

We need a center that can be a force offensively when needed, but IDK of anyone available that’d work. I look at the top 25 centers and try to think of who may be available and it gets depressing. Ayton is not it. I don’t expect us to beat anyone bidding on Allen. Brook Lopez maybe? IDK, that’s about the best I’ve got. 

On 6/29/2024 at 1:41 PM, gurpilo said:

Well as the roster is today this is what I would do

PG: Trae Young, Delon Wright, Kobe Bufkin,

SG: Bogdan Bogdanovich, Dyson Daniels, Garrison Mathews 

SF: DeAndre Hunter, Zaccharie Risacher, Naji Marshall

PF: Jalen Johnson, Larry Nance Jr., Mouhammed Gueye

C - ?, Onyeka Okongwu, Mo Bamba

I have clear that we should add some veterans to the team as Wright and Marshall, I think we need a stretch 5 as Bamba and do not know which Center we could get for Capela expiring contract, at this point I still want Hunter here.

Two way contracts:

Vit Krecji, Seth Lundy, Dylan Windler, Nikola Đurišić

How bad is Trae and Bogi defensively?  A complete disaster. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Really, what people  have faith. Trae had Gallo, Bogi, Hunter,Reddish, Huerter, Collins,Snell, and Lou Williams over the years. This team is totally lacking in proven shot makers.

3 minutes ago, FL_BRYANT said:

Really, what people  have faith. Trae had Gallo, Bogi, Hunter,Reddish, Huerter, Collins,Snell, and Lou Williams over the years. This team is totally lacking in proven shot makers.

Trae didn’t have all those guys in his first two years with Bembry and Alex Len.  Also, Cam was shooting 20% in his rookie season.  I’m talking about literally his first two seasons.  
But I think Trae still needs some more help, but we’ll see what they do.  

• Premium Member
Just now, Final_quest said:

Trae didn’t have all those guys in his first two years with Bembry and Alex Len.  Also, Cam was shooting 20% in his rookie season.  I’m talking about literally his first two seasons.  
But I think Trae still needs some more help, but we’ll see what they do.  

Yep.

................and after those first two years he was asking for help.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Agree? YES OR NO?

I still want SloMo and Jarrett Allen via trade if the Cavs are willing to send him.

SloMo would be perfect.

If the Hawks can't get him right now they aren't doing their job.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Agree? YES OR NO?

I actually want them to do both, but yes Trae needs some help.  
I’d prefer Jarret Allen, but I actually think Trae could unlock Ayton as well.  Ayton is the kind of guy that seems like he will play up or down based on his engagement. With Trae he would be in action all the time.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FL_BRYANT said:

They won 20 and 29 those years so he wasn't getting them too many easy shots.

Don’t misunderstand.  I want good players around Trae.  I was the guy trying to get people to understand our ECF team didn’t have enough star power. 
Earlier I was more trying to say people expect Trae to get everyone open shots vs jack up his own shots.  

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Agree? YES OR NO?

I mostly agree? Depends on who that young player is because young players that have any promise are not generally hitting free agency… more than anything, I want the young guys we have now to get a lot of run next year to jeep getting better.

Ill be shocked if this FO is even considering Ayton at all, regardless of the cost to get him 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Don’t misunderstand.  I want good players around Trae.  I was the guy trying to get people to understand our ECF team didn’t have enough star power. 
E was more trying to say people expect Trae to get everyone open shots vs jack up his own shots.  

Ok, but I think Trae will take a lot of bad shots. Lot of hero ball out of a lack of trust for his teammates.  I was there on the ECF team as well. I suggested the Hawks were jumping the gun but was ridiculed. 

It's going take some hardworking and time to turn this around.  By that time I don't expect Trae to be around  Kobe Bufkin will probably be running the team by then. 

9 minutes ago, FL_BRYANT said:

Ok, but I think Trae will take a lot of bad shots. Lot of hero ball out of a lack of trust for his teammates.  I was there on the ECF team as well. I suggested the Hawks were jumping the gun but was ridiculed. 

It's going take some hardworking and time to turn this around.  By that time I don't expect Trae to be around  Kobe Bufkin will probably be running the team by then. 

Did you know the Hawks are a top 5-10 offense?

Did you know that it doesn't matter if he plays hero ball or not?

Did you know that even with hero ball, if we had a top 15 defense, we probably would be in the top 4 of the east?

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I mostly agree? Depends on who that young player is because young players that have any promise are not generally hitting free agency… more than anything, I want the young guys we have now to get a lot of run next year to jeep getting better.

Ill be shocked if this FO is even considering Ayton at all, regardless of the cost to get him 

Please no Ayton.  Would hate for his bad attitude and salary rub off on any of the young ballplayers. No need for max salaried players yet, which is why I wonder if Trae is a good match. I hope the market for Trae improves so they can get a good return on him. I would hate to see them get fleeced.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bleachkit said:

They HAD a on ball threat outside of Trae who performed.  Why folks keep double speaking about Murray being the problem is insane. NOBODY is a fit as a dominant ball player WITH Trae.  He has to dominate the ball, period, end of story which is why teams weren't falling over themselves to trade for him and his contract.  The only thing that works with Trae is either pick and roll or wings standing on the outside who can catch and shoot when defenses collapse on Trae.  He doesn't work with players who can create shots for themselves.  I give Quin credit for seeing this and coming up with that Slot 5 tweak which FORCES Trae to emblement Johnson into the offense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1