• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Lottery Bound

JayBirdHawk

20 hours ago, Afro said:

I think this is an excellent point.

If you're trading off the only spot that has projectable "star level" impact, just trading for players you KNOW are good, is a worthy option. 

I think a large portion of the league does not see the draft that way.  A few teams might, but I haven’t heard/seen a rumor from a team wanting to move up to #1 to draft Sarr.  

If we trade down it definitely says our FO is not projecting Sarr to be at a “star level.”  That idea isn’t making people happy, but seems real.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Final_quest said:

I think a large portion of the league does not see the draft that way.  A few teams might, but I haven’t heard/seen a rumor from a team wanting to move up to #1 to draft Sarr.  

If we trade down it definitely says our FO is not projecting Sarr to be at a “star level.”  That idea isn’t making people happy, but seems real.

I think that's part of the calculus that he was considering. 

IF there aren't stars, even at 1, trading for players who are known commodities is a fair option over just trading down and drafting 2 dudes from a meh draft who were already saying don't have a good chance at stardom. 

I don't think it's likely, but I agree with the underlying argument. Trading #1 for 2 proven "good" starters(rather than a star level vet) instead of 2 rookies has merit. But like you said, it depends on someone trading up to 1 with vets for someone they HAVE to have, which is why I don't think it's likely. 

Edited by Afro
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Afro said:

I think that's part of the calculus that he was considering. 

IF there aren't stars, even at 1, trading for players who are known commodities is a fair option over just trading down and drafting 2 dudes from a meh draft who were already saying don't have a good chance at stardom. 

I don't think it's likely, but I agree with the underlying argument. Trading #1 for 2 proven "good" starters(rather than a star level vet) instead of 2 rookies has merit. But like you said, it depends on someone trading up to 1 with vets for someone they HAVE to have, which is why I don't think it's likely. 

I’m perfectly fine with trading down with a team that historically makes bad choices.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

He wasn’t even the best shooter on his team. 

Edit:

My memory is skewed a bit TBH. 
I feel like Reeves was the best bucket for that team and it didn’t seem like Sheppard always showed up as consistently as Reeves IMO (like dropping a dud in the tournament). 

Reed did have better percentages, but at 8 FGA per game to Reeves’s 14 FGA per game. 
No knock on Reed, I love that kid. Probably the best overall player on that team. I’m just saying from a pure bucket-getting perspective, he wasn’t “that guy.”

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Edit:

My memory is skewed a bit TBH. 
I feel like Reeves was the best bucket for that team and it didn’t seem like Sheppard always showed up as consistently as Reeves IMO (like dropping a dud in the tournament). 

Reed did have better percentages, but at 8 FGA per game to Reeves’s 14 FGA per game. 
No knock on Reed, I love that kid. Probably the best overall player on that team. I’m just saying from a pure bucket-getting perspective, he wasn’t “that guy.”

But I said pure shooter not pure bucket 🪣 getter. :huh: Having said that, you and AHF have cornered the Kentucky market since Laettner did y’all so I’m just an outsider. :jesus:

I do think this Reed Sheppard is going to be successful, just most likely not with us. I will say I love guards that can shoot. I mean theoretically I want every position to be able to stroke it but if you are a guard I’d rather have a Mark Price/Nash over a Rondo type.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sothron said:

best shooter

:applause:

23 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

best shooter

:huh:

7 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

best bucket

:deke:

8 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

pure bucket-getting

:deke:

:airquote: Ronald Flip Murray was a 🪣 getter! 

Steve Novak was a pure shooter.

If I’m the Wizards at 2 I think about Shepp. They don’t have anything. Kuzma and Poole don’t count, foundation wise they don’t really have anything.

Perhaps I’m sleeping on Risacher but I like Shepp’s attributes, heart and desire. 

Rocket 🚀 at 3 as well. He can be under the tutelage of one FVV for a year or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

But I said pure shooter not pure bucket 🪣 getter. :huh: Having said that, you and AHF have cornered the Kentucky market since Laettner did y’all so I’m just an outsider. :jesus:

I do think this Reed Sheppard is going to be successful, just most likely not with us. I will say I love guards that can shoot. I mean theoretically I want every position to be able to stroke it but if you are a guard I’d rather have a Mark Price/Nash over a Rondo type.

He'll be another run of the mill scoring guard.  Aka a should-be 6th man a la Cole Anthony, Jr.?  Or Greg Anthony, III? 

Come at me soth! 

:stirthepot:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

I agree with your take, Spud.  Reed was the best shooter no questions asked for UK for me.  Birddirt is right that he wasn’t a big volume guy but he was amazingly efficient and accurate last season.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AHF said:

I agree with your take, Spud.  Reed was the best shooter no questions asked for UK for me.  Birddirt is right that he wasn’t a big volume guy but he was amazingly efficient and accurate last season.

Where does Reed rank as far as best shooters for Kentucky in your opinion as long as you’ve been following them or even their history? 

• Moderators

Feeling to me like we'll have a draft day deal in place that will get scuttled by a surprise pick from another team.   Then we'll be convincing everyone that we always wanted whoever it is

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
Fields also said they are expecting to see more prospects this coming week. Also noted that the Hawks have brought guys into Atlanta and also traveled to see guys. Fields noted that, as of today, they are planning to pick at No. 1

• Thanks 1