• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Draft Over: What's Next?

JayBirdHawk

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

wtf, that stinks 😷 for who is supposed to be.

He also only has avg length at 6'9 with only a 6'10 WS...

Edited by terrell
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

Hell no but I was in Dallas on business when we picked Koncak.  Lol

To me that was our worst draft, 85. Followed by 92 and 93, Keefe and Doug Edwards ugh 😑 

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The lesson here should be that the Hawks can win with Trae Young if they put the right pieces around him and they have the opportunity to do so this summer. Atlanta won the NBA Draft Lottery and while this draft does not have a top tier prospect like Victor Wembanyama or Zion Williamson, it is full of complementary pieces that would fit great alongside Young. Alex Sarr, Zaccharie Risacher, or Donovan Clingan would all be good complementary pieces to pair with Young. Jalen Johnson has emerged as a future star player, giving the Hawks two high-level talents.

There are other ways for the Hawks to add talent as well. If they intend to keep Young, trading Murray for assets would help the team. Capela and De'Andre Hunter are also candidates to be traded this offseason. What those trade returns will look like, I can't be sure, but they could be role players or picks.

Not much of a prescription, draft a good player and trade three of your starters.  Although, I have no idea what you could get back in a trade.  That’s the big fix?  

You like Sarr’s speed and agility, but if he can’t defend the paint or rebound what do you have?  I’m no longer sold on Sarr, and understand why teams are down on this draft in general.  He may be the best pick for us, but it’s not a slam dunk pick from what I can see.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Final_quest said:

You like Sarr’s speed and agility, but if he can’t defend the paint or rebound what do you have?  I’m no longer sold on Sarr, and understand why teams are down on this draft in general.  He may be the best pick for us, but it’s not a slam dunk pick from what I can see.  

There isn’t a slam dunk pick.  I still like him the best of everyone I’ve seen.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AtLaS said:

He is a slightly more athletic Hunter.  Doesnt rebound, doesnt assist, doesnt get steals/blocks, doesnt shoot FTs.  Just no reason to take him over a guy like Sarr.  

Thats exactly what the Hawks are looking for lmao . All jokes aside, any pick other than Sarr is the Hawks signaling yet again that they are not really trying to win.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, AtLaS said:

He is a slightly more athletic Hunter.  Doesnt rebound, doesnt assist, doesnt get steals/blocks, doesnt shoot FTs.  Just no reason to take him over a guy like Sarr.  

Yeah he’s not worth the number 1 pick even if you can argue that his offense is currently better than Sarrs

7 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Agreed. Sarr has a big fan base here ATL already but he has things he’s not great at that makes him underwhelming.

Trust when I say this is the draft to double dip in. The only thing I can see sarr impacting year 1 is defense switching, weak side blocks, roaming defensively as a 4, and getting out on the break as a big target. Which isn’t bad if a rookie can showcase all of that year 1.

He certainly has the most potential to be a star level player after he develops in this draft.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, terrell said:

Over Sarr? IDK man.. Hawks better get this right...

My biggest issue with him is that he cannot create his own shot!…and he is avg at best when dribbling but I’ve now watched where his dribbling is reminding me of Hunters.

yeah I can’t get behind Risacher being our #1 pick. Draft Sarr and move on to the next move is what I say.

but I’m going to play devils advocate for a second…..Paul George was also listed as a big wing who couldn’t dribble and create, so was Kwahi Leonard….how much faith do you have in Risacher to get better at creating and handling the ball is question.

• Premium Member

NBA trade candidates: 75 players, split up among 12 categories, who could be moved this summer

2. Trae Young. Hawks: Atlanta's backcourt has failed spectacular over the past two seasons, and Young, given his resume and youth, seems to have the higher trade value of the two big-name Hawks guards on the market. Interest thus far has appeared tepid, but 25-year-old three-time All-Stars almost always manage to drum up a significant market.

5. Dejounte Murray, Hawks: The other Atlanta guard was shopped at the trade deadline, but many of the interested parties were limited in how many draft picks they could give up. Some of them, including the Lakers, have more to work with now. If the Hawks just want to tweak instead of tearing down, Murray, not Young, becomes the likelier guard to move.

31. Clint Capela, Hawks: The Hawks have Onyeka Okongwu ready for a bigger role, and while they aren't locked in on a specific prospect at No. 1 overall, French big man Alex Sarr is the current favorite for the top pick. In other words, the Hawks are probably about to be heavily invested in two young bigs, so Capela, who was nearly traded to Dallas last summer, will probably be available.

33. Bogdan Bogdanovic, Hawks: The higher-profile guards are available in Atlanta, but why should the Hawks start there? If they do trade Young or Murray, they goal will presumably be to get younger. Bogdanovic is 31 and ready to help a win-now team. If they don't trade Young or Murray? No sense in remaining this heavily invested in a third guard.

34. De'Andre Hunter, Hawks: Yes, every member of the 2023-24 Atlanta Hawks aside from Jalen Johnson should be considered available. Anyone who watched the 2023-24 Atlanta Hawks would understand this.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-trade-candidates-75-players-split-up-among-12-categories-who-could-be-moved-this-summer/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Ok, ok.. I got this draft thing figured. 

Some folks like French fries.  Some want a rangy big.  Some want a stiff big.

So king01 is gonna split the baby for the good of everyone.

We draft Sarr, sign Nic(k) Batum and Hartenstein.

Everybody wins.  I'll take your donations in cash. 

Don't forget it's impossible for Hawks to sign any players the way i understand it.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

Feel bad for the kid.  Will be interesting to see if he gets the Embiid, Simmons, etc. treatment (taken high irrespective of injury) or if he falls.

• Like 1