• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: What's Next? 2024-25 Season Outlook.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Long way of saying rebuilding.  

This would be real funny if I didn't have that uncomfortable feeling. :dry:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

They did try to win.  They paid every core piece on the ECF roster and then traded for a second star in Murray.  

Those were bad decisions, but I reject the premise of not trying to win.  

They are trying to execute a better vision now, but if you make every post filled with negative takes you won’t appreciate what they are trying to do.  

I feel like this is the Atlanta Hawks Obi-Wan marketing strategy:

From a Certain Point of View: Was Obi-Wan Right to Say Darth Vader Killed Luke's Father?

Luke Skywalker : Ben! Why didn't you tell me? You told me that Darth Vader betrayed and murdered my father.

Obi-Wan : Your father... was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. He ceased to be the Jedi Anakin Skywalker and "became" the Sith Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So, what I told you was true... from a certain point of view.

Luke Skywalker : A certain point of view?

Obi-Wan : Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Obi-Wan:  I didn't tell you that your father was alive and now terrorizing the galaxy under the name Darth Vader because from a certain perspective he actually died when he chose to take on that mantle.

Hawks:  Cutting players in dump trades that won't help the team on the floor for years to come is actually trying to win a championship this season from a certain point of view.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I think 30 wins is almost sure with Trae, Bogi, Hunter, JJ and OO. The jump to 40-45 will depend on the contributions of Bufkin, Daniels, Risacher, Gueye, Nance and Capela or replacement. I also expect Vit, Matthews and Bruno to be relevant at some point on the season. 

I think JJ Will be close to 20/10. Backup PG worries me, I am not confident on Bufkin providing solid PG play when Trae is out although I think he will be fine at defense. The questionmark is DD, either as backup PG or defensive wing, I honestly don't know what to expect but I think his performance will dictate if we are closer to 30 or 45. If he ends close to 26mpg and can improve his offense we Will be closer to 40. I expect Risacher to have impact since day 1, his gane fits well, I think he will finish closer to 11-12 ppg with good defense, Nance will provide toughness that is much needed, when he is out I have a lot if confidence in Gueye, I think he is going to surprise a lot people and Capela is a good C although is declining, if he is replaced hopefully his replacement can provide more size that is needed for some matchups. Vit, Matthews and Bruno we all know what they can provide.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, AHF said:

We have better depth at PF but I'm not counting on much from Gueye.  JJ has to be the main man there this season, imo.  Would love to see us go big from time to time but that is going to be a small % of the time where JJ is at the 3.

Nance should get 15-20 minutes per game

• Like 3

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

I think Gueye can play SF, he can really substitute Bey on the rotation, he is long, Athletic and can shoot well.

Power forward...too unskilled for sm. Forward

• Like 2

Interchangeable parts.  This will be part of the solution of who plays which part.  Any idea where EJ Liddell and N. Djurisic will fit with this Hawk team?  They may end up as Skyhawk players but, if needed, they will be available.

With no more moves, there will be a lot of decisions ahead.  Maybe more moves?

:smug:

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Interchangeable parts.  This will be part of the solution of who plays which part.  Any idea where EJ Liddell and N. Djurisic will fit with this Hawk team?  They may end up as Skyhawk players but, if needed, they will be available.

With no more moves, there will be a lot of decisions ahead.  Maybe more moves?

:smug:

Djurisic is staying over seas this yr..he'll eventually be Bogie's replacement

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

In a season where we had no PF or just one PF most nights and we still didn’t see OO there a ton, that should tell people something.

Hawks were thin at center when Capela went down. Then OO went down

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Bonzaii58 said:

If we hypothetically trade for DeRozen would it have to be on or before July 6? 

Ot can be done at anytime: now or after.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Quin should be fired if OO gets less than 25 mins a game

I was just about to say this:

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

In a season where we had no PF or just one PF most nights and we still didn’t see OO there a ton, that should tell people something.

Mmhmm.

But I really hope OO proves me wrong about him. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I get that this is just your opinion, but I guarantee you they aren't looking at the DJM trade as a rebuild. They are planning on Daniels being a rotational player and Nance being a valuable depth piece. 

I think the team got better in the trade. 

But how does that make us any better than last year?  Other teams are upgrading. The saying goes if you are not getting better, you are getting worse. Take a look at a team like Dallas. They were on the same time line for rebuilding during the Trae/Luka draft. The two teams have been roughly on the same time line with Dallas having the current edge. One can argue that the Kyrie/Luka pairing was an overlapping of talent similar to Trae and DJ and it didn't work the first year they were together but they stuck with it made some adjustments around that and it paid off. Now they are adding to that to compete for a championship. They have a clear vision even I can see and I am not even a fan of that team. Trae has not had an all nba player or championship starters added to the team for him to compete with.  I don’t care what others think about my opinion but I believe our best path to a championship runs through Trae.  Build a sustainable plan around him that consistently make us better.  We got lucky getting the number one pick when we were a border line playoff team. Be aggressive and compete. Pay the tax if you have to. Send a signal to your best player and to the fans that you actually want to compete for a championship. I hope I am off base with the way I feel and they have a trick up their sleeve that will change my hope meter back in the right direction. 

• Like 1