• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: What's Next? 2024-25 Season Outlook.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

I know we’re all looking at CC trades but I wonder if extending CC is something they’ve considered. He misses some bunnies but he does have value. At the right number, I’d do it. 

Currently, we’re something like:

Trae/Dyson/Vit
Bogi/Bufkin/G Mathews
ZR/Hunter/Lundy
JJ/Nance/Mo
OO/CC/Bruno

If everybody is healthy and if Dyson/Bufkin/JJ take strides and if ZR hits his 50th percentile outcome, that’s probably a 5-8 seed. From there, the hope is Trae can take over a playoff series. 

16 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Some Highlights:

• Daniels shot 50% on his floater this past year which was 80th percentile in NBA
  • Daniels is ELITE defensively; mentioned him being a game wrecker
  • Opined that if he got 30 min/game consistently he would be ALL NBA defensively
  • Compared him to a young Derrick White or Marcus Smart
  • Tyler said he doesn't worry about his shot because it looks good, mechanics are good.  He just doesn't shoot with confidence. They believe Quin can fix that 
  • Said in NO, his offensive role was limited to sitting in the corner but that he's far too talented for that; said he can be the secondary ball handler and run the offense; he can also run some PNR with Trae; they think he's a very good finisher above the rim
  • Opined about a lineup of Trae/Daniels/Bogi/Risacher/JJ that could be very balanced and deadly

I’m very high on Daniels. Aside from him, we need to ship out Capela and Hunter before their value really craters

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Are we really building around Trae or could we not find a trade partner for him?

I think we are, but we need a secondary score (like we had with Lou and Gallo)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, supermariowest said:

I know we’re all looking at CC trades but I wonder if extending CC is something they’ve considered. He misses some bunnies but he does have value. At the right number, I’d do it. 

Currently, we’re something like:

Trae/Dyson/Vit
Bogi/Bufkin/G Mathews
ZR/Hunter/Lundy
JJ/Nance/Mo
OO/CC/Bruno

If everybody is healthy and if Dyson/Bufkin/JJ take strides and if ZR hits his 50th percentile outcome, that’s probably a 5-8 seed. From there, the hope is Trae can take over a playoff series. 

Bufkin is a PG and Dyson is more Wing than backup PG (although he can certainly be the PG)

If the roster stays as currently constructed, I think it's more likely to start the year like this:

Trae/Bufkin

Dyson/Bogi/GMathews

Hunter/ZR/Vit

JJ/Nance/Mo

OO/CC/Bruno

The hope would be that ZR takes over at the SF position and we end up with a Trae/DD/ZR/JJ/OO starting lineup with Bogi as the 6th man.  I'd probably close with lineup of Trae/DD/Bogi/ZR/JJ depending on the matchup.  

I'll also add that the most likely scenario is we still trade CC and Hunter.  I'd trade CC for another Wing and either keep Hunter coming off the bench or trade him for another Center.

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Bufkin is a PG and Dyson is more Wing than backup PG (although he can certainly be the PG)

If the roster stays as currently constructed, I think it's more likely to start the year like this:

Trae/Bufkin

Dyson/Bogi/GMathews

Hunter/ZR/Vit

JJ/Nance/Mo

OO/CC/Bruno

The hope would be that ZR takes over at the SF position and we end up with a Trae/DD/ZR/JJ/OO starting lineup with Bogi as the 6th man.  I'd probably close with lineup of Trae/DD/Bogi/ZR/JJ depending on the matchup.  

I'll also add that the most likely scenario is we still trade CC and Hunter.  I'd trade CC for another Wing and either keep Hunter coming off the bench or trade him for another Center.

From a defensive perspective, I like Dyson’s fit next to Trae in the starting lineup. But I’d start Bogi to maximize spacing around Trae. And bringing Dyson off the bench gives you two creators (Dyson and Bufkin) off the bench instead of just Bufkin. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

But this the story almost EVERY TIME.  I don't believe the story that players just don't want to come here, because players are still motivated by money.

The only deduction that I can come to, is that they don't want to overpay for a player ( via trade, money, or otherwise ). So they would rather do without, and dig at the bottom of the barrel for players.

When fans see that action from our organization, but see other organizations going out and getting whomever they want, even if it impacts them negatively tax wise, that puts a VERY bitter taste in the mouths of Hawks fans.

We're told that they want players with "Hawks DNA", when we don't even trust that they know what TF they're doing.

Here's what is going to happen. If these dudes fail once again to pair Trae with an all-star level talent, and the team is still a sub .500 squad, you know who people will blame?

Not the front office.  Not the so-called brilliant coach in Quin. They're going to blame Trae, especially if his numbers aren't stellar.

Then the fans who already doubt him, will fan the flames to get him out of here. Then the national media will do a hit piece on him to try to make that happen immediately.

At that point, Trae either asks out or the front office deals him for expiring trash, and announce that theyre doing a complete rebuild centered around JJ and Zacch.

Then they can fly that Hawks DNA crap in our faces, and buy themselves few more years to see if things pan out. And we'll know that they'll get time, because Ressler is NOT even financially committed to building a legit playoff team, nor less a championship level team.

This isn't directed to you in any way, shape, or form ... but f**k an August 1st.  They deserve zero passes or patience from this fan base.

Talk is over. Time for them to prove that they can get some real shit done.

They can't, they just.cant, even if they change the way they have been running things, they overpayed too many roll players, didn't get returns for shedding salary and were too much of a mixed bag in drafting while being cheap, now we don't really have much to offer or leverage at all.  Capela really only works on certain teams that are needing what his value is which primarily some bb value but mostly financial flexibility in the future, Dre is just what he is, value has gone down since the new cba has so complicated things for teams trying to add bunch of roll players for a run.  

It is what it is, we are in a pinch.  Best case to me is somehow working a amazing 3 way trade where we come back with walker kessler, will prolly cost us our upcoming firsts though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, supermariowest said:

From a defensive perspective, I like Dyson’s fit next to Trae in the starting lineup. But I’d start Bogi to maximize spacing around Trae. And bringing Dyson off the bench gives you two creators (Dyson and Bufkin) off the bench instead of just Bufkin. 

I love Bogi - he makes everyone around him better - but it doesn't make much sense to me having Dyson come off the bench.  He and Trae just project to compliment one another so well.  Trae will benefit from Dyson's defense and Dyson will benefit from Trae being the offensive engine.  I just think that duo will work VERY well together.  

Ideally, we will see a lot of Trae/Dyson/Bogi lineups which should provide a good amount of offense and defense.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Trae/Bufkin

Dyson/Bogi/GMathews

Hunter/ZR/Vit

JJ/Nance/Mo

OO/CC/Bruno

Bufkin hasn't earned that spot yet need a real backup pg and a center that can shot a 15 footer

30 minutes ago, georgia said:

Are we really building around Trae or could we not find a trade partner for him?

I think we are, but we need a secondary score (like we had with Lou and Gallo)

I think we’re clearly building around Trae.  Just a waiting game to see how we’re gonna finalize our roster.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Some Highlights:

• Daniels shot 50% on his floater this past year which was 80th percentile in NBA
  • Daniels is ELITE defensively; mentioned him being a game wrecker
  • Opined that if he got 30 min/game consistently he would be ALL NBA defensively
  • Compared him to a young Derrick White or Marcus Smart
  • Tyler said he doesn't worry about his shot because it looks good, mechanics are good.  He just doesn't shoot with confidence. They believe Quin can fix that 
  • Said in NO, his offensive role was limited to sitting in the corner but that he's far too talented for that; said he can be the secondary ball handler and run the offense; he can also run some PNR with Trae; they think he's a very good finisher above the rim
  • Opined about a lineup of Trae/Daniels/Bogi/Risacher/JJ that could be very balanced and deadly

There’s another pod where he’s talking about the same concepts on ATL and 29.  Going from terrible POA defense to elite POA defense has domino effects.  Hope we got a gem off the scrap heap.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I think Bogi and/or Daniels make sense starting but my guess is they will split a lot of minutes with Trae on the court regardless of who starts.  You probably want Bogi handling a decent amount of minutes with Kobe while Kobe continues getting better at PG duties-- helps to have a vet to defer to on the court.  Then assess and make changes as needed as the season progresses.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I’m very high on Daniels. Aside from him, we need to ship out Capela and Hunter before their value really craters

I don't think they really have much value right now because of their contracts.  Capela expires next year so maybe there are teams that can work him in... Hunters value shouldn't really go down from here though, if anything, it probably goes up as he gets towards the end of his contract since he's on a slight overpay.  As long as we don't do any desperation trades with either of them we should be O.K.  

• Like 3