• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: What's Next? 2024-25 Season Outlook.

JayBirdHawk

1 hour ago, AHF said:

He also thought Bogi was our 2nd best player last year and that Bogi along with Trae and JJ are the locks for our best lineup.

He also hates, hates, hates DeAndre Hunter, lol.

I agree that Trae - Bogi will be our starting lineup.  Where they decide to put JJ is up in the air, but most likely the 4.

It then comes down to whether Hunter starts at the 3, or we throw Zacch right into the fire as the starter . . . which means we probably lose Hunter mentally, if that hasn't happened already.

• Premium Member

I remember at the trade deadline Jake Fischer mentioning our interest in Okoro.    Cavs want wing help.    Would love to send Hunter in sign in trade some how 

1 hour ago, supermariowest said:

From a defensive perspective, I like Dyson’s fit next to Trae in the starting lineup. But I’d start Bogi to maximize spacing around Trae. And bringing Dyson off the bench gives you two creators (Dyson and Bufkin) off the bench instead of just Bufkin. 

This is exactly what I would do.

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This is exactly what I would do.

I think you're going to be surprised with just how well Dyson and Trae fit together.  It doesn't really matter if one guy starts or another does as long as they are on the court together for 25+ min per game.  But I think playing Trae and DD together will unlock both in ways we've not seen before.  

I'd start Trae/DD/Hunter or ZR/JJ/OO and then sub Bogi for either Hunter or ZR.  You could also sub Bogi for OO and play small.

1 hour ago, hylndr11 said:

They can't, they just.cant, even if they change the way they have been running things, they overpayed too many roll players, didn't get returns for shedding salary and were too much of a mixed bag in drafting while being cheap, now we don't really have much to offer or leverage at all.  Capela really only works on certain teams that are needing what his value is which primarily some bb value but mostly financial flexibility in the future, Dre is just what he is, value has gone down since the new cba has so complicated things for teams trying to add bunch of roll players for a run.  

It is what it is, we are in a pinch.  Best case to me is somehow working a amazing 3 way trade where we come back with walker kessler, will prolly cost us our upcoming firsts though.

Walker Kessler . . . a good young defensive center, but that's sad

• Premium Member

I'm starting to come around on the Dyson starting along side Trae if Risacher isn't ready.  Defense can make offense so much easier for example, if the Falcon's had a defense that created just a few short fields per game vs Ryan and company always having to start from its own 20 yard line, history would have been different during his era.  Watching tape of Dyson and Nance  makes you appreciate smart defenders and their impact on the final outcomes of games.  Winning games isn't always about who has the best shooters or shooting nights but rather involves a lot of other little nuances like team rebounding and defense that can create easy offense on a consistent basis.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Bogi has Korver level impact for this team in the sense that you may not see him as a traditional star player but his shotmaking opens up a lot for everyone else.

The numbers bear this out. We talk ourselves to death about Trae lineups vs Murray lineups, but the single biggest on/off swing player for this team was Bogi. Every single lineup was better with him. We have to pay attention to that.

Think about the ECF run we made. We were missing Hunter, we were missing Cam. We went on an absolute heater starting Bogi who was lights out. We don’t have that winning streak without him. The formula has been proven.

There’s a reason why even though he wasn’t listed as an untouchable player in trade talks, you haven’t seen his name in any of the rumored deals.

Bogi’s  on/ on-off net (+3.2/6.1) is just a hair behind Kyle’s (+4.7/7.2) in their Hawks career.

Soon as I saw Kyle up close every night he became my favorite from the Bud Era easy.  I was indifferent to Bogi but he slow-cooked me into loving the dude.

When horrible island defenders like Bogi and Kyle have healthy on and off metrics you can be sure they have above average read-and-react and movement skills on offense and probably good communication skills on defense.  A killer shot doesn’t hurt either.  Unlike DJ, Bogi mixes in his pet short fall away mid range shot but knows it shouldn’t be a large part of his shot diet.  He only takes 11% of his shots from 10-16 feet, but shoots a robust .497 in his Hawks tenure.

There was definitely an uptick in his feel after international competition.  I’m guessing Jokic had a hand in that.

Bogi being untouchable and not giving Clint away as some trade filler gives me a glimmer of hope that the Hawks analytics department isn’t a bunch of hacks.  As excited as Daniel’s defensive metrics make me he’s going to have to show me he isn’t what his horrible adjusted shooting metrics say he is.  If he’s gonna be Josh Okogie-ish I’d rather just get Josh Okogie plus the crazy FT rate and vet presence.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

As excited as Daniel’s defensive metrics make me he’s going to have to show me he isn’t what his horrible adjusted shooting metrics say he is.  If he’s gonna be Josh Okogie-ish I’d rather just get Josh Okogie plus the crazy FT rate and vet presence.

Or like one of your favorite in Delon Wright

Can we start DD at the 3 and Bogi at the 2? One of Dyson's strengths on offense is being a "connector." We haven't had a guy like that ever that I can remember. It's what Draymond was really good at for Steph and Klay. Wonder if Dyson could do that for Bogi and Trae + JJ and whomever is our starting center.

Develop ZR and Bufkin off the bench. 

Hopefully trade Capella and possibly Hunter for a starting C upgrade. If Hunter is still here, bring him off the bench like we did effectively last year. 

• Like 1

One name that could improve the team, apparently he is getting cut by Miami.

Orlando Robinson, a 7 footer with a legit 3 pt shot, a tru stretch 5 that could flourish with a good PG

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

His idea of JJ at the 5 with Trae is basketball terrorism. 

Maybe he is thinking of this against small ball lineups like the Celtics with Tatum at center?

• Thanks 1

With the cavs looking to SnT Okoro for a big wing is Capela/Hunter for Allen/Okoro on the table? 

Sorry it this has been mentioned. Too many threads now to go searching. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Afro said:

With the cavs looking to SnT Okoro for a big wing is Capela/Hunter for Allen/Okoro on the table? 

Sorry it this has been mentioned. Too many threads now to go searching. 

Why would Cleveland prefer Capela over Allen?

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Why would Cleveland prefer Capela over Allen?

They wouldn't, they'd prefer Hunter as a big wing. This isn't the complete framework of the deal either. I'd assume wed have to add more. 

But it also gives them another center with/alongside Mobley for the moment who also comes off the books when Mobley starts his new deal(if he signs it). 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Afro said:

They wouldn't, they'd prefer Hunter as a big wing. This isn't the complete framework of the deal either. I'd assume wed have to add more. 

But it also gives them another center with/alongside Mobley for the moment who also comes off the books when Mobley starts his new deal(if he signs it). 

Why don't the the Hawk fan prefer this big wing?

• Like 1