• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: What's Next? 2024-25 Season Outlook.

JayBirdHawk

35 minutes ago, AHF said:

Maybe he is thinking of this against small ball lineups like the Celtics with Tatum at center?

Jrue and Derrick is a lot different than Trae

• Moderators
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Jrue and Derrick is a lot different than Trae

Not sure how that relates.  If Tatum is playing center against us someone needs to line up against him.  Seems to me that JJ, Hunter, Ris, and OO are your best candidates and that there are some pluses and minuses with each of these candidates.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Some Highlights:

• Daniels shot 50% on his floater this past year which was 80th percentile in NBA
  • Daniels is ELITE defensively; mentioned him being a game wrecker
  • Opined that if he got 30 min/game consistently he would be ALL NBA defensively
  • Compared him to a young Derrick White or Marcus Smart
  • Tyler said he doesn't worry about his shot because it looks good, mechanics are good.  He just doesn't shoot with confidence. They believe Quin can fix that 
  • Said in NO, his offensive role was limited to sitting in the corner but that he's far too talented for that; said he can be the secondary ball handler and run the offense; he can also run some PNR with Trae; they think he's a very good finisher above the rim
  • Opined about a lineup of Trae/Daniels/Bogi/Risacher/JJ that could be very balanced and deadly

Excited about Daniels. I like that lineup but not as starters. Would be interesting if we rolled this lineup out often during the season though.

the issues with that lineup i can see is maybe rebounding but for sure rim protection will be a problem.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JTB said:

Excited about Daniels. I like that lineup but not as starters. Would be interesting if we rolled this lineup out often during the season though.

the issues with that lineup i can see is maybe rebounding but for sure rim protection will be a problem.

Yeah, I don't know how much it would be used and whether it's starting or closing or just a few minutes here and there. I just think it offers a lot of length, shooting, and defense. Would be interesting to see as a small lineup. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, JTB said:

Definitely both unless the other team is playing super small as well.

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Because we know what he is. Let someone else wait on his consistency. 

So the guy they are trading him for is more consistent? Just trying to understand the logic

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Afro said:

They wouldn't, they'd prefer Hunter as a big wing. This isn't the complete framework of the deal either. I'd assume wed have to add more. 

But it also gives them another center with/alongside Mobley for the moment who also comes off the books when Mobley starts his new deal(if he signs it). 

Jarrett Allen is also in the last year of his contract

• Premium Member

The Cleveland Cavaliers need to improve their roster but have limited ways of doing so. The front office reportedly isn’t interested in trading Jarrett Allen or Darius Garland at this time. This leaves them with a handful of seconds and a 2031 first-round pick as their only future assets that could feasibly fetch something in a trade. That is aside from Isaac Okoro who still has upside as a prospect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm starting to come around on the Dyson starting along side Trae if Risacher isn't ready.  Defense can make offense so much easier for example, if the Falcon's had a defense that created just a few short fields per game vs Ryan and company always having to start from its own 20 yard line, history would have been different during his era.  Watching tape of Dyson and Nance  makes you appreciate smart defenders and their impact on the final outcomes of games.  Winning games isn't always about who has the best shooters or shooting nights but rather involves a lot of other little nuances like team rebounding and defense that can create easy offense on a consistent basis.

I can agree with this.  But you still need scoring from somewhere.

As good of a defensive player like Alex Caruso is, you still need to be able to get significant offense from somewhere.

Caruso got traded because he was their weakest offensive player, and not worth giving a significant contract to.  And that's been the story of his career.  A plus defender that is loved by his fans and teammates.  But because he's limited offensively, he's just a role player that really doesn't move the needle enough to affect winning.  So he's the one that gets cut or traded.

If Daniels as a starter can get us 12 ppg, that would be outstanding.  If he's below 10 ppg, we have a huge problem.  People want Trae to play a more traditional type of PG, but if he's surrounded by guys who can't shoot, he's going to shoot it or try to get to the FT line.

At least with Bogi, Trae has chemistry with him to get the ball to Bogi in ideal catch and shoot spots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The Cleveland Cavaliers need to improve their roster but have limited ways of doing so. The front office reportedly isn’t interested in trading Jarrett Allen or Darius Garland at this time. This leaves them with a handful of seconds and a 2031 first-round pick as their only future assets that could feasibly fetch something in a trade. That is aside from Isaac Okoro who still has upside as a prospect.

Ew, gross. Easy pass. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

As good of a defensive player like Alex Caruso is, you still need to be able to get significant offense from somewhere.

Caruso got traded because he was their weakest offensive player, and not worth giving a significant contract to.  And that's been the story of his career.  A plus defender that is loved by his fans and teammates.  But because he's limited offensively, he's just a role player that really doesn't move the needle enough to affect winning.  So he's the one that gets cut or traded.

If Daniels as a starter can get us 12 ppg, that would be outstanding.  If he's below 10 ppg, we have a huge problem.  People want Trae to play a more traditional type of PG, but if he's surrounded by guys who can't shoot, he's going to shoot it or try to get to the FT line.

At least with Bogi, Trae has chemistry with him to get the ball to Bogi in ideal catch and shoot spots.

Again in a half court offense in isolation, Bogie all day long but if defense is significant enough to lead to easy transition buckets, give me that guy

31 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Even if Bogi isn't starting he's still going to be on the court with Trae for 20 min a night. The starting thing just isn't that big of a deal. 

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

So the guy they are trading him for is more consistent? Just trying to understand the logic

Don't care for either. Engaging in conversation about it is pointless until it is a thing. But do you as usual.

• Like 1