• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: What's Next? 2024-25 Season Outlook.

JayBirdHawk

12 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Development is key but this is the best fit around Trae since the ECF season. When Dallas and Luka did this, they made it to the WCF. Let's give this a real shot. I hope we can land Ayton which would give us more balance since we are scaled way too heavy on defense atm

Agree 1000% and Ayton is a perfect fit with Trae and this team.

11 hours ago, Hawkish said:

Is Ayton a real target?

@NBASupes you confirmed this a week or so ago that Ayton was a target. Has anything changed that you can share ?

would love to know if any other insiders can share any possibilities on trading for Ayton …. @Mikey @Sothron @thecampster 👀

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JTB said:

Agree 1000% and Ayton is a perfect fit with Trae and this team.

@NBASupes you confirmed this a week or so ago that Ayton was a target. Has anything changed that you can share ?

would love to know if any other insiders can share any possibilities on trading for Ayton …. @Mikey @Sothron @thecampster 👀

I haven't heard of anything from Atlanta end outside of they are still working with NO on the Murray deal due to the trade kicker. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

The only thing I've heard is the Murray trade might get expanded

As in more teams (I think this was mentioned previously) or more players/assets between Atlanta and Nola?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If Daniels as a starter can get us 12 ppg, that would be outstanding.  If he's below 10 ppg, we have a huge problem.  People want Trae to play a more traditional type of PG, but if he's surrounded by guys who can't shoot, he's going to shoot it or try to get to the FT line.

At least with Bogi, Trae has chemistry with him to get the ball to Bogi in ideal catch and shoot spots.

Right? 

I'm tired of this story. We've been having this same conversation for 3 years.  We need defense, yes.  But without shooters and an elite compliment, our ceiling is the 2nd round.  Period.  It has taken this FO too long to figure this out...despite watching Trae dismantle the Eastern Conference with just PART of the formula. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

As I was listening, I thought about the possibilities of our future backcourt. 😁Screenshot_20240704_113101_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sing it with me: Ice, Dys, Baby 🎶 🎵 

May I steal the pic? It’s beautiful I just saw it! 🧊 🎲 gittyyyy!!

• Like 3

On 7/3/2024 at 8:01 AM, JeffS17 said:

You know every team in the league has to prune salary, right?  I assume you also noticed the champion Nuggets roster has to prune salary?  The Clippers just pruned Paul George out of the building.  Golden State pruned their way out of the tax.  It's not even fair to call it salary shedding when you shed a player like Kevin Heurter, whose replacement value is league average, at best.  OR when you "prune" JC off the roster and allow Jalen Johnson to blossom.

Based on the logic of your consistent complaints around salary shedding, here's a quick thought exercise.  How many wins are the Hawks at next year with this $206M top 3 most expensive roster:

• Trae / Kobe / Dyson
  • Bogi / Heurter / Dyson
  • Hunter / Kyle Anderson / Risacher
  • Jalen / Collins / Nance
  • Capela / Okongwu / Nance

This is what you continuously argue for -- loads of depth: mediocre, expensive, depth.  The next logical place to direct emotional frustration is "well they should package these guys and consolidate for a star", which misses the reality of that's not possible.  No one wants Hunter + Capela for their all-star.  No one wants any combination of these players and a couple firsts for their star player.  Imagine reading your team is about to ship out a player like KAT for Hunter and Capela.  That's the kind of stuff we make fun of other fans for.  We can stop fantasizing about it.

And Murray isn't a star player so I have no idea what y'all were expecting in return for him.  He's a mediocre efficiency volume scorer that is a neutral on defense, at best.  His play making is not good -- we all know that, we watched him for 2 years.  Expecting anything more than what we got is unrealistic.  Instead of praising Landry for negotiating an unprotected Lakers 1st in the deal, over a Pelicans 1st, it's just more piling on.  Show me a materially better deal for Murray and I'll show you a fan base that laughs you out of the room.

The good news that while most here have been slow to recognize we're sailing on a broken ship (thanks FQ, love that analogy), Landry saw that when he took over.  He's already diligently tested the market for our player values and analyzed the many paths forward.  This is exactly why we had a development and assessment year last season (that lucky for us, very lucky for us, landed us a 1st pick).  And now we've restocked on some picks, got young talent in to develop, and have reason to be remotely hopeful for the future.  So while everyone else was crossing their fingers we could trade away blocks of silver for blocks of gold, he's been executing on a path forward that is focused on more than a 6th seed next season.

Cycle 🔄 🥳 nice work jefe! #emojigrandsalami

14 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

This is a really good listen on the DJM / Daniels trade.  I agree with a lot of this and Tyler has a pretty strong opinion on Daniels.  Gets me pretty dang excited for the season.  I think the FIT issues being resolved will have a very impactful effect on the record.  In a wide open East, I don't think it should be a surprise for the Hawks to compete for the playoffs.  Especially if they can upgrade at Center and maybe add another shooter.  

Lotta hefty dudes in Atlanta break down the game 🏀 

14 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Some Highlights:

• Daniels shot 50% on his floater this past year which was 80th percentile in NBA
  • Daniels is ELITE defensively; mentioned him being a game wrecker
  • Opined that if he got 30 min/game consistently he would be ALL NBA defensively
  • Compared him to a young Derrick White or Marcus Smart
  • Tyler said he doesn't worry about his shot because it looks good, mechanics are good.  He just doesn't shoot with confidence. They believe Quin can fix that 
  • Said in NO, his offensive role was limited to sitting in the corner but that he's far too talented for that; said he can be the secondary ball handler and run the offense; he can also run some PNR with Trae; they think he's a very good finisher above the rim
  • Opined about a lineup of Trae/Daniels/Bogi/Risacher/JJ that could be very balanced and deadly

Thanks I wasn’t gonna click.

• Like 1

Hunter gets run down too much on the Squawk.  He's not that great all-star that we wish he was.  This doesn't mean he's not a good piece of this team.  Don't sell him short.

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

New and gently used Hawk players available on this season's team:

Kobe Bufkin - - Dyson Daniels - - Nikola Djurisic - - M. Gueye - - E J Liddell - - Z. Risacher.

Some of these guys may become starters before season's end.  Some may make the roster as rotational players.  Some may become Skyhawks and some may be traded away.  From a teenager all the way up to the old man of this group who is 23.

The point is all these youth may well become part of the final 15 players on the active roster.  This alone is a change from last season.  Hawk University has their work cut out for them.  Nice problem to have, don't you think!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Hunter gets run down too much on the Squawk.  He's not that great all-star that we wish he was.  This doesn't mean he's not a good piece of this team.  Don't sell him short.

Gray, I’m usually with on a lot of things, but as a big Hunter detractor, I still don’t get the infatuation with this dude. There were games last year, where I thought …man he has turned the corner. And then I see games where it's like playing 4 on 5. I’ve gotten over the fact that he was the number four pick, as a matter fact, I don’t even care about that. But we are years into his career and there is little projection left. He is what he is.  As a sixth man, I can stomach him because that second unit forced him to be a lot more aggressive without both Trae and Murray on the floor at the same time. 

I give him credit for what he is, which is a big wing, and depending on the metrics you look at a decent defender. But there’s no way that I would let Hunter preclude me from doing something on a bigger note. He IS a key piece to the Hawks I reckon. But as with most things Hawks right now…meh. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

May I steal the pic? It’s beautiful I just saw it! 🧊 🎲 gittyyyy!!

Nope!. I spent HOURS putting it together.

Lol - kidding Spud. Took me about 10 minutes if that. Took longer to find the right images.

Sure you can steal it!  🤝 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Is Hunter an impact player?   

Yes or no.

1 hour ago, deester11 said:

Gray, I’m usually with on a lot of things, but as a big Hunter detractor, I still don’t get the infatuation with this dude. There were games last year, where I thought …man he has turned the corner. And then I see games where it's like playing 4 on 5. I’ve gotten over the fact that he was the number four pick, as a matter fact, I don’t even care about that. But we are years into his career and there is little projection left. He is what he is.  As a sixth man, I can stomach him because that second unit forced him to be a lot more aggressive without both Trae and Murray on the floor at the same time. 

I give him credit for what he is, which is a big wing, and depending on the metrics you look at a decent defender. But there’s no way that I would let Hunter preclude me from doing something on a bigger note. He IS a key piece to the Hawks I reckon. But as with most things Hawks right now…meh. 

100000000% THIS!!!

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

On defense? Yes

I personally think he is more impactful on offense at times, than on defense.

But describe his defensive impact and how it affect games.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

100000000% THIS!!!

I personally think he is more impactful on offense at times, than on defense.

But describe his defensive impact and how it affect games.

Most of the teams in the league have as their main goal in the half court set is to get Hunter off of their primary score whether it is high pick in roll involving Young/Murray/Bogie or just go after Capela. He has very good point of attack defense which will be much easier to see when he teams up with another perimeter defender like Daniels.

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

On defense? Yes

( Joakim Noah voice )

You like De'Andre Hunter?   You think Hunter is cool?

Has anyone ever described Hunter as "putting someone in jail on defense" . . or "that De'andre Hunter is EVERYWHERE on defense"?

Is De'andre Hunter ever going to make an All-Defensive team?

What's so good about De'andre Hunter?

Joakim Noah: 'Cleveland Really Sucks' animated gif

• Haha 2