• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: What's Next? 2024-25 Season Outlook.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

By the way, did you guys notice he was quietly removed from director of basketball ops?  Nick's latest title (as of ~August) is "Principal Advisor to the Governor". 

I think this was discussed last offseason, where Soth posited that he had Daddy's ear to convince him to pay the tax.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

The Murray trade was nick ressler idea and his big push. You can't put that on Landry. 

Mmmmmmmmm.....I would like to give Landry a pass here, but I can't. He's tied at the hip with Nick.

Just a reminder that per Landry, he met Nick on an overseas scouting trip (while they were both scouts) and it was Nick's suggestion to bring him into the Hawks fold.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think this was discussed last offseason, where Soth posited that he had Daddy's ear to convince him to pay the tax.

Nick was being groomed to potentially take over from Tony. Not sure if that is still the plan.  

And yes Nick has been pushing to pay the tax to field a team around Trae. He thought Murray would be a great fit but...

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Sothron said:

Nick was being groomed to potentially take over from Tony. Not sure if that is still the plan.  

And yes Nick has been pushing to pay the tax to field a team around Trae. He thought Murray would be a great fit but...

I’m sure it worked out much better on 2k

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I’m sure it worked out much better on 2k

That is where he got the idea. I thought I mentioned this before. Nick was bringing up trade ideas from playing 2k.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

This is why I want Capela gone, and love Ayton as an option.  We knew Capela clogged the paint but DAMN look at how much difference it made for Trae/DJ finishing inside.  We have to have a jumpshooting threat at C.  No more paint clogging C's.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Current Roster

NBA Contracts: 15,   $167.8 million
PG: Trae Young, Kobe Bufkin
SG: Bogdan Bogdanovich, Dyson Daniels, Garrison Mathews
SF: DeAndre Hunter, Zaccharie Risacher, Mouhammed Gueye
PF: Jalen Johnson, Larry Nance Jr., EJ Lidell
C - Clint Capela, Onyeka Okongwu, Cody Zeller*, Bruno Fernando (UG)

*assumed vet min deal for Zeller

Two way contracts:
Vit Krejci (QO), Seth Lundy, Dylan Windler, Nikola Đurišić

• Like 1

• Premium Member

What's next? 15 players. ~$3 million under the tax.

Bruno is an unguaranteed contract. A decision to be made on this within the next 4days. We aren't carrying 4 centers.

Will Vit get his contract?

Who will get the 3 two-way contracts?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bruno is an unguaranteed contract. A decision to be made on this within the next 4days. We aren't carrying 4 centers.

Will Vit get his contract

Our backup PGs are Bufkin and DD? Neither have proven capable to carry that load. Pray for Trae's health.

Our "backup" PF has not played PF primarily in 4 years ... when he was 28 - before a knee surgery.

We have 4 back up centers. I hope we keep Bruno and buy out Zeller or trade him for a capable emergency vet PG. 

I would be very disappointed if we don't have more changes coming to at least balance out the roster. I'm honestly most worried about backup PF. JJ has a history of injuries, and we are comfortable with a guy who hasn't played that position much + a 2nd year 2nd round draft pick being the backups? 

Bang up job on roster construction.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, AtLaS said:

This is why I want Capela gone, and love Ayton as an option.  We knew Capela clogged the paint but DAMN look at how much difference it made for Trae/DJ finishing inside.  We have to have a jumpshooting threat at C.  No more paint clogging C's.  

100% Agree.. I feel that Capela's defense has really dropped off to where he is below average starting C defensively in the NBA.

16 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Will Vit get his contract?

What's  the rush to pay Vit when we didn't even go after 1000x better players.

Vit is a scrub.

22 hours ago, AtLaS said:

That tweeter needs a proof reader.  

• Moderators
On 7/6/2024 at 7:00 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Current Roster

NBA Contracts: 15,   $167.8 million
PG: Trae Young, Kobe Bufkin
SG: Bogdan Bogdanovich, Dyson Daniels, Garrison Mathews
SF: DeAndre Hunter, Zaccharie Risacher, Mouhammed Gueye
PF: Jalen Johnson, Larry Nance Jr., EJ Lidell
C - Clint Capela, Onyeka Okongwu, Cody Zeller*, Bruno Fernando (UG)

*assumed vet min deal for Zeller

Two way contracts:
Vit Krejci (QO), Seth Lundy, Dylan Windler, Nikola Đurišić

While i was hoping for more this offseason i feel much better about this than last summer.   Nance provides us with a real backup PF which we didn't have last year for the whole season!  Zacc hopefully provides some much needed shooting off the bench.  Dyson provides the wing D that we were missing.  I think Kobe and Dyson has a lot of promise for the bench unit. 

It's still a lot of just hope that young guys step into their roles well but at least we have some guys with NBA experience and arent' playing out of position.   A really good vet would be nice but not sure how we get it. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

While i was hoping for more this offseason i feel much better about this than last summer.   

I call that clearing the lowest of low bars.  With the #1 overall pick if we can't have a better offseason than adding Wesley Matthews and a few rookies who barely played at all, something would be seriously, seriously wrong.

• Like 2

Whatever we were supposedly offering for Ayton, time to raise the offer, and use this as our entry to the tax-paying teams, in my view.

Going into this season without an upgrade to Center is just not going to work out well, in my view.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1