• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: What's Next? 2024-25 Season Outlook.

JayBirdHawk

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Moving Hunter for a cheaper wing plus a first is a good move IMO. It is clear the team has moved on to Jalen and ZR as our starting forwards of the future. Hunter is making too much to be a sixth man.

It will depend on who the cheaper wing is and how protected that first rd pick is before I can say it’s a good move.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Moving Hunter for a cheaper wing plus a first is a good move IMO. It is clear the team has moved on to Jalen and ZR as our starting forwards of the future. Hunter is making too much to be a sixth man.

Have you heard anything about a trade?

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Will the cheaper option be able to contribute anything?

Not too long ago we had Gallo $20 and Bogi as $18 mil as backups.

Yeah I’d love to know why it’s such a big deal now to have two players making around 20 mil each off the bench when we recently did this.

im sure the explanation from the FO wouldn’t be a good one.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, JTB said:

Yeah I’d love to know why it’s such a big deal now to have two players making around 20 mil each off the bench when we recently did this.

im sure the explanation from the FO wouldn’t be a good one.

Because the starters at the time were still mostly on rookie deals.

• Like 4

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Because the starters at the time were still mostly on rookie deals.

Oh yeah!

well outside of Trae and Capela we have 3 guys  who should be starters still on rookie deals in Risacher, Dyson, Jalen.

i know Jalen will soon be extended but what’s the rush?

seems smarter to me to trade a less impactful Capela for a younger center who still on his first nba contract then to trade Hunter.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Why do it before the season though?  Why not see what we have and wait until the deadline?  Hunter is great depth for this team, he's 15ppg, nearly 40% 3pt shooter, solid defender.  When a wing gets hurt we are going to be playing Garrison Mathews again. 

I just don't understand why dump him now though?  He's locked up for 4 years, a protected 1st will be available at the deadline too if the team stinks. 

We aren't even in the luxury tax.  Why make our team worse in 24-25?  We don't even own our own 1st rounder.  And, what is so bad about Hunter's contract?  OG just got a 43M max.  They are nearly identical players production wise.  

I'd be open to trading him at the deadline for a first if the Hawks are at .500 or below, but not before the season.  You are just solidifying a lesser team this year.

• Like 3

Yeah... at this point, I'd like to keep Hunter as a key bench piece. His best basketball will be played through the duration of this contract and it's not terrible // will get better with time as it becomes a smaller and smaller % of the rising cap. 

He should also get more opportunities to expand his game coming off the bench and showcase his talents. He could be one of the more desirable pieces in a couple years. 

We also need useful players until we control our picks again. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

My guess is Hunter does not want to come off the bench and likely isnt going to cooperate with Quin if we go that route.  Just a guess, but he wouldn't be coming off the bench anyways until Risacher earns a starting spot.

Holding him until the deadline is risky because teams will find other options for SF in the meantime and trading mid season is much harder to do with salary matching and shoring up roster spots, etc.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Looks like since the trade Hunter movement failed, the bench Hunter movement is now in full force! The claim is that he doesn't fit with Trae even though he finished with the best 3 point percentage on the team aside from Mathews and is one of the few good  POA defenders on the team.  But just for giggle, If Hunter goes to the bench, who starts?

• Like 1

Prestige.  Starter.  There's just something about this following your name.  Swell up, strut a bit.  "I'm a starter."  

Hunter doesn't have to play major minutes.  In fact, he may play minor minutes.  However, he's one of our veteran players and he deserves to have this denization added to his name.  Also, if and when he is traded, this will not hurt his value.

:smug:

• Moderators

As others have said, it depends what is coming back in a trade.  Wings are the most valuable commodity in the league and you can’t have too many of them. If we actually care about winning games, Hunter is a solid and more importantly versatile forward for us.  $20M is not the end of the world.  Capela is already coming off the books next year and we are not at risk of paying thr tax this year.  Unless we are making a move to make the team better, I sure hope we aren’t salary dumping to make the team worse yet again.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

My guess is Hunter does not want to come off the bench and likely isnt going to cooperate with Quin if we go that route.  Just a guess, but he wouldn't be coming off the bench anyways until Risacher earns a starting spot.

Holding him until the deadline is risky because teams will find other options for SF in the meantime and trading mid season is much harder to do with salary matching and shoring up roster spots, etc.

I agree that he probably won't want to start the season on the bench but he has solidified his position as a solid role player not a starter that gets extended minutes where he disappears in spurts. 

Edited by theheroatl

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, AHF said:

As others have said, it depends what is coming back in a trade.  Wings are the most valuable commodity in the league and you can’t have too many of them. If we actually care about winning games, Hunter is a solid and more importantly versatile forward for us.  $20M is not the end of the world.  Capela is already coming off the books next year and we are not at risk of paying thr tax this year.  Unless we are making a move to make the team better, I sure hope we aren’t salary dumping to make the team worse yet again.

I'm not so sure that there was a lesson learned after the John Collins debacle which clearly made the team worse.  Glue guys are important but their will be a certain part of the fan base who will always call for another Murray clone like Derozen despite the utter nonsensical logic and recent failed experiment with that type of player on our current roster.  Most championship rosters are built around one number 1 guy with role player around him not multiple one on one guys taking turns at iso ball.  This roster is constructed similar to that winning formula and should succeed unless the Trae supporters are just blowing smoke and really don't believe that he is that true number 1 player and this is why there is a call for another iso player.  We will definitely have a better understanding of where the Hawks need to go from here after this season seeing that Trae will be entering his prime years.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm not so sure that there was a lesson learned after the John Collins debacle which clearly made the team worse.  Glue guys are important but their will be a certain part of the fan base who will always call for another Murray clone like Derozen despite the utter nonsensical logic and recent failed experiment with that type of player on our current roster.  Most championship rosters are built around one number 1 guy with role player around him not multiple one on one guys taking turns at iso ball.  This roster is constructed similar to that winning formula and should succeed unless the Trae supporters are just blowing smoke and really don't believe that he is that true number 1 player and this is why there is a call for another iso player.  We will definitely have a better understanding of where the Hawks need to go from here after this season seeing that Trae will be entering his prime years.

I wasn’t high on DeRozan as a fit for this team but I’m also not high on dumping Hunter for 50% of his value on the court to save a few bucks.  We already have $30M in expiring salary for next year between Nance and Capela.  How pressing is it to address this issue right now?  We are already under the tax and we need to be a playoff team this year.  Depending on what Risacher and Daniels show us, we may need a Hunter as a starter.  If we don’t, we saw him be very effective off the bench last year.  It was probably the best sustained stretch of his career.  

Give me a deal for 2024-25 basketball reasons not future cap reasons.  You have to have some balance to this.  

Trading Hunter for an expiring contract wouldn’t even make us significant players in FA next year.  There just isn’t that much upside to a trade for financial reasons.  So make the bigger priority 2024-25 basketball reasons please Hawks.  

Give us a reason to believe in this team and the front office’s vision to win in the near term.  (Which has to be a priority if we aren’t tanking and tanking makes no sense so this seems like a no-brainer.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

I don't disagree with your hypothesis but I do find it hilarious because, if true, this guy turned into the exact opposite of what he was pitched to be coming out of Virginia. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Give us a reason to believe in this team and the front office’s vision to win in the near term.  (Which has to be a priority if we aren’t tanking and tanking makes no sense so this seems like a no-brainer.)

I wasn't addressing the front office.  I was addressing the growing sentiment of fans that respond on this message board.  Some are convinced that somehow Hunter does not fit Quinn's system and that he is a detriment to the team and needs to be traded or minimized in some way.  They question his defense and accuse him of being a ball stopper.  There is no other player on this team that receives the same amount of scrutiny.  Anyway, I am looking forward to the season.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I wasn't addressing the front office.  I was addressing the growing sentiment of fans that respond on this message board.  Some are convinced that somehow Hunter does not fit Quinn's system and that he is a detriment to the team and needs to be traded or minimized in some way.  They question his defense and accuse him of being a ball stopper.  There is no other player on this team that receives the same amount of scrutiny.  Anyway, I am looking forward to the season.

I’d rather the front office properly value him and only trade him for value.  I care less about a group of fans on here.  They don’t decide what his future is with the team and if he is successful he will change most of those minds with his strong play.

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

I’d rather the front office properly value him and only trade him for value.  I care less about a group of fans on here.  They don’t decide what his future is with the team and if he is successful he will change most of those minds with his strong play.

Awesome post!

Video gif. A baby raises both fists in the air as he yells in immense excitement.

• Haha 1