• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: What's Next? 2024-25 Season Outlook.

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Here’s were BBall Index placed him in terms of LEBRON contract value last season.  Games missed are a factor:

IMG_4272.thumb.jpeg.390bddfe248dbe67271ea3bed334c664.jpeg

Ranges from 13 to 11 million.

I don’t know what to make of his defensive awareness/ positioning/ reading yet.  I need about 50 more games.  Metrics suggest he’s pretty good.  John improved next to Clint, hopefully Jalen can make that jump to solid consistency.

That isn't company that anyone on a max contract should be keeping.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

1 Reason Not To Overlook Every NBA Team for 2024-25 Season

Atlanta Hawks: Lineup Versatility

Pinpointing an exact direction for the Atlanta Hawks remains somewhat difficult.

They have Trae Young and don't control their own first-round pick again until 2029, so they have every incentive to #goforit. At the same time, the roster is set up to rely on a handful of developmental prospects, including No. 1 pick Zaccharie Risacher, Dyson Daniels and, to some extent, Kobe Bufkin (backup point guard minutes seem wide open).

This says nothing of guys like Onyeka Okongwu and the extension-eligible Jalen Johnson. Both are more known quantities. Neither, though, is a finished product.

It all adds up to a team with immediate expectations that could incur (plenty of) growing pains. Sign me up for it all—provided head coach Quin Snyder capitalizes on the lineup versatility at his disposal.

Okongwu, Johnson and Larry Nance Jr. permit the Hawks to downsize without actually shrinking how they operate. Risacher has fantastic size, at 6'9", and should be extremely plug-and-play on the offensive end thanks to his transition guile and half-court darting. De'Andre Hunter offers another 6'8" body and improved his shot diet last season. David Roddy is 6'4" but plays like he's 6'9", for both better and worse.

Here's hoping Atlanta gets super creative around Young. Personally, I'm pining to see him alongside Daniels, Johnson, Risacher and Nance. Floor-spacing could get tight, in which case Hunter could be plugged into one of the other spots. But the defensive intensity and malleability would be entertaining as hell.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10131334-1-reason-not-to-overlook-every-nba-team-for-2024-25-season

• Like 2

On 8/12/2024 at 2:10 PM, benhillboy said:

Here’s were BBall Index placed him in terms of LEBRON contract value last season.  Games missed are a factor:

IMG_4272.thumb.jpeg.390bddfe248dbe67271ea3bed334c664.jpeg

Ranges from 13 to 11 million.

I don’t know what to make of his defensive awareness/ positioning/ reading yet.  I need about 50 more games.  Metrics suggest he’s pretty good.  John improved next to Clint, hopefully Jalen can make that jump to solid consistency.

As someone who's like JJ. I definitely agree with this assessment. He's in this range but we all know because he has some modern elements and he's young, he will get overpaid but even overpaid should be in the range of what JC got. Not anywhere close to the max. 

• Like 1

To be honest, these LEBRON ranks from last year are pretty good. Even Trae overall numbers aren't that bad. Just with the games missed, it really hurt his financial value last season 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

To be honest, these LEBRON ranks from last year are pretty good. Even Trae overall numbers aren't that bad. Just with the games missed, it really hurt his financial value last season 

Oh BBIndex does an excellent job, I’ve been following headshot plots for a minute although I think NBA Math developed it first.  I never bought a subscription because their free data is great but I will this year to follow their more in depth career, legacy, league-wide play type, and role data.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

Oh BBIndex does an excellent job, I’ve been following headshot plots for a minute although I think NBA Math developed it first.  I never bought a subscription because their free data is great but I will this year to follow their more in depth career, legacy, league-wide play type, and role data.

Look forward to seeing what you share from there, @benhillboy!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Gahdayum that was a nice move.

I've done that on a court before.  But the opponent was 3 and I needed ice afterwards. 🫣

54 minutes ago, AHF said:

greys-anatomy-arizona-robbins-oh-not-me-

• Haha 4

• Moderators

I think we're going to be a much improved team.  Whether we can be top 4 in the east all hinges on if JJ can be a go to scorer.   It'd be nice if we had someone like Gallo off the bench.  That would take a little pressure off.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I think we're going to be a much improved team.  Whether we can be top 4 in the east all hinges on if JJ can be a go to scorer.   It'd be nice if we had someone like Gallo off the bench.  That would take a little pressure off.  

That's what this team is missing. Gallo's shooting and post scoring off the bench was huge during the 20-21 season. Maybe Zacc can be Gallo "lite" on this roster with better defense if his shooting translates? Even with all of the defensive improvements, I'm still a little concerned about the offense, especially when Trae goes to the bench. I hope there will be enough offensive improvement from within from guys like JJ, Bufkin, and even Garrison to make up for DJ's departure. We already know what to expect from Bogi and Hunter on offense at this point. I don't want to completely rule out any offensive contributions from Dyson, but I think he will have more of a Delon Wright role on this team as an elite POA defender. Anything he provides on offense will be a bonus.

• Like 4

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, hawkman said:

I don't want to completely rule out any offensive contributions from Dyson, but I think he will have more of a Delon Wright role on this team as an elite POA defender. Anything he provides on offense will be a bonus.

I think some people are setting the bar too high for Dyson as an offensive contributor but I do expect more from him than Delon.  Looking forward to seeing him blossom this season with more opportunity in Atlanta.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hawkman said:

That's what this team is missing. Gallo's shooting and post scoring off the bench was huge during the 20-21 season. Maybe Zacc can be Gallo "lite" on this roster with better defense if his shooting translates? Even with all of the defensive improvements, I'm still a little concerned about the offense, especially when Trae goes to the bench. I hope there will be enough offensive improvement from within from guys like JJ, Bufkin, and even Garrison to make up for DJ's departure. We already know what to expect from Bogi and Hunter on offense at this point. I don't want to completely rule out any offensive contributions from Dyson, but I think he will have more of a Delon Wright role on this team as an elite POA defender. Anything he provides on offense will be a bonus.

Yeah.  Folks will point out that with Trae our offense is always good but that doesn't mean our 4th quarter offense has been good.   That's when we get shut down if Trae is the only bucket getter.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AHF said:

Dre is a fascinating metrics/ tracking case.  Why the Hawks rarely ever win when he’s the high scorer is a mystery.  I’ll be tracking his catch and shoot, shot gravity, and defensive matchup difficulty metrics in relation to the league and DD.  I don’t have any expectations for Zac until he bulks up but I’ll definitely highlight strong points of his game, which I think he’ll have a decent +/- off floor for a rookie due to the absence of his feel when sitting and good cutting data.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah.  Folks will point out that with Trae our offense is always good but that doesn't mean our 4th quarter offense has been good.   That's when we get shut down if Trae is the only bucket getter.   

I think JJ is capable of being a secondary scorer. I'm also betting on Bufkin taking the leap offensively. He was too good in College Park last season to not provide anything offensively on the main stage. I'm also thinking Bogi will finish games unless Dyson has a MIP type of season or Risacher blows Quin away early on. I'm "ok" with where things are now, but having a Terrence Ross or Norman Powell type of scorer would make me feel a lot better about the offense.

Joey Hauser, Hawks Agree To Exhibit 10 Deal.

I know this isn’t a big deal if I’m the first to mention it.

If we actually had CASON Wallace and SAM Hauser we’d be cooking with a little grease.  Hawks living in worse-brother bizarro universe.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Haha 2