• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: What's Next? 2024-25 Season Outlook.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Joey Hauser, Hawks Agree To Exhibit 10 Deal.

I know this isn’t a big deal if I’m the first to mention it.

If we actually had CASON Wallace and SAM Hauser we’d be cooking with a little grease.  Hawks living in worse-brother bizarro universe.

We need good players for the SkyHawks to help the young guys we send there from the NBA squad.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2024 at 11:25 AM, macdaddy said:

I think we're going to be a much improved team.  Whether we can be top 4 in the east all hinges on if JJ can be a go to scorer.   It'd be nice if we had someone like Gallo off the bench.  That would take a little pressure off.  

Top 4?  Maybe I'm bitter or a hater..but ain't no way this team is a top 4 in the east. There are many more IF'S than "certainly" on this team. I've been an ardent dissenter on the recent moves of this organization. I've called it mid but I can get behind the thought of them being better. But 4? Hell nah...

IMG_6435.gif

Edited by deester11
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We need good players for the SkyHawks to help the young guys we send there from the NBA squad.

True dat, I totally forget about the G League at times.  His size and possible shooting pedigree is promising as a Garrison replacement or slightly better.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I don't want to play the "if" game too, but there's just too many question marks for me.  At best, we've made some nuanced moves that could be addition by subtraction...but on the other hand, we've gotten younger and less experienced.  

That said, Trae took us deep into the playoffs with the right support around him.  If the length and defense comes together, and these guys can actually shoot, I see a comparable team.  We could be in that 4th-6th seed range, but I think we're going to know it pretty early on.

I think you look at the east and outside of Boston everyone has big 'ifs' going into the season.  Even though i totally agree that our front office hasn't done enough to contend this year at least we have more potential than we did last year.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We had experience and toughness with that team also.

Compared to salaries nowadays only 4 years ago seems like 40.  You could hang this payroll up in the Louvre Museum it’s so artful:

IMG_5833.thumb.jpeg.f10565096566e6ede8ffe12ffe52f769.jpeg

Schlenk took a fair amount of flack here, and that’s cool.  None from ya boy.

Why Nathan and Skylar could t feed their families tho 😆

Edited by benhillboy
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

NBA’s best 2024 offseason moves by team: From Grizzlies to Suns, Nos. 30-21

EASTERN

Atlanta Hawks

team-logo-65-300x300.png

2023-24 record: 36-46; lost in Play-In

Added: F Zaccharie Risacher (first round, first pick); F Larry Nance Jr. (acquired from New Orleans); G Dyson Daniels (acquired from New Orleans); C Cody Zeller (acquired from New Orleans via sign-and-trade); F David Roddy (acquired from Phoenix); F Nikola Đjurišić (draft rights acquired from Miami); 2025 first-round pick (acquired from New Orleans via Lakers); 2027 first-round pick (acquired from New Orleans; lesser of Pelicans/Milwaukee pick; top-four protected); G Seth Lundy (two-way); G Keaton Wallace (two-way); F Dominick Barlow (two-way)

Lost: G Dejounte Murray (traded to New Orleans); F Saddiq Bey (signed with Washington); C Bruno Fernando (waived)

Retained: G Vít Krejčí (four years, $10M); G Garrison Mathews (Hawks exercised 2024-25 club option)

Extended: None

Returning from injury: G Kobe Bufkin (right shoulder subluxation); Lundy (ankle surgery)

The skinny: At least Atlanta replenished some of the draft capital it expended in acquiring Murray from the Spurs in 2022 by getting back two future firsts and multiple depth players from the Pels. But the main thing is still the main thing: Where is this team going with Trae Young as its franchise player? Winning the lottery and taking Risacher provided an unexpected offseason bonus, but even that was tainted by Alex Sarr's unwillingness to work out with Atlanta before the draft. Ice Trae is still just 26, in his prime and with another two years on his deal before his player option arrives. You can't go full-tank mode as long as he's on the roster; he's too talented. But this feels like a franchise spinning its wheels.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5626813/2024/08/13/nba-offseason-rankings-2024-lakers-clippers-suns-heat/

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

Compared to salaries nowadays only 4 years ago seems like 40.  You could hang this payroll up in the Louvre Museum it’s so artful:

There really isn't anything special about it though. It's par the course with teams that drafted well and have enough capspace to sign good FAs while those players are still on rookie contracts, see the Magic and Thunder. In 3 years those rookies will be on their second contracts (see Wagner and soon zsuggs, followed by Banchero next year), most of them on max or close to max deals. The trick is to determine who you'll keep and pay.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We had experience and toughness with that team also.

Yeah and I admitted as much.  At best we look like we've made positive, nuanced adjustments, but on the other end, we've also gotten younger and less experienced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

There really isn't anything special about it though. It's par the course with teams that drafted well and have enough capspace to sign good FAs while those players are still on rookie contracts, see the Magic and Thunder. In 3 years those rookies will be on their second contracts (see Wagner and soon zsuggs, followed by Banchero next year), most of them on max or close to max deals. The trick is to determine who you'll keep and pay.

Why you wanna rain on my joy Jay?! 😆

I feel you, but it isn’t any less fascinating to me when you can reach the Con Finals under these circumstances ever since the Thunder set the benchmark with KD and them.  Gallo, Bogi, and Clint turned out to be near perfect signings at the time alongside 4 great rookie value deals and one astronomical in Trae.  

Edited by benhillboy
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

ATLANTA HAWKS ROSTER BY AGE

The Atlanta Hawks (ages Under 25):
Zaccharie Risacher (19)
Kobe Bufkin (20)
Nikola Djurisic (20) *
Mo Gueye (21)
Dyson Danials (21)
Dominick Barlow (21)
Jalen Johnson (22)
Onyeka Okongwu (23)
David Roddy (23)
Vit Krejci (24)
Seth Lundy (24)

The Atlanta Hawks (ages 25-29):
Keaton Wallace (25)
Trae Young (25)
Deandre Hunter (26)

The Atlanta Hawks (age 30+):
Clint Capela (30)
Larry Nance (31)
Cody Zeller (31)
Bogdan Bogdanovich (32)

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 8/24/2024 at 10:31 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

ATLANTA HAWKS ROSTER BY AGE

The Atlanta Hawks (ages Under 25):
Zaccharie Risacher (19)
Kobe Bufkin (20)
Nikola Djurisic (20) *
Mo Gueye (21)
Dyson Danials (21)
Dominick Barlow (21)
Jalen Johnson (22)
Onyeka Okongwu (23)
David Roddy (23)
Vit Krejci (24)
Seth Lundy (24)

The Atlanta Hawks (ages 25-29):
Keaton Wallace (25)
Trae Young (25)
Deandre Hunter (26)

The Atlanta Hawks (age 30+):
Clint Capela (30)
Larry Nance (31)
Cody Zeller (31)
Bogdan Bogdanovich (32)

I would reorder it like this:

Career Just Starting (18-20)

Zaccharie Risacher (19)
Kobe Bufkin (20)
Nikola Djurisic (20) *

Transitioning From Rooks to Vets (21-23)

Mo Gueye (21)
Dyson Danials (21)
Dominick Barlow (21)
Jalen Johnson (22)
Onyeka Okongwu (23)
David Roddy (23)

Entering Their Prime (24-26)

Vit Krejci (24)
Seth Lundy (24) Keaton Wallace (25)
Trae Young (25)
Deandre Hunter (26)

In Their Prime (27-29)

🙈

Prime Ending (30-33)

Clint Capela (30)
Larry Nance (31)
Cody Zeller (31)
Bogdan Bogdanovich (32)

Grizzled Vets (34-36)

:tumbleweed:

Waiting for Retirement (37+)

:loading_anim:

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I would reorder it like this:

Career Just Starting (18-20)

Zaccharie Risacher (19)
Kobe Bufkin (20)
Nikola Djurisic (20) *

Transitioning From Rooks to Vets (21-23)

Mo Gueye (21)
Dyson Danials (21)
Dominick Barlow (21)
Jalen Johnson (22)
Onyeka Okongwu (23)
David Roddy (23)

Entering Their Prime (24-26)

Vit Krejci (24)
Seth Lundy (24) Keaton Wallace (25)
Trae Young (25)
Deandre Hunter (26)

In Their Prime (27-29)

🙈

Prime Ending (30-33)

Clint Capela (30)
Larry Nance (31)
Cody Zeller (31)
Bogdan Bogdanovich (32)

Grizzled Vets (34-36)

:tumbleweed:

Waiting for Retirement (37+)

:loading_anim:

Mo needs to be in the career just starting group. Drafted with Kobe, 6 NBA games played and started basketball late.

• Like 1

The starters are Mt biggest question. For the first time in since the ECF run, the fit isn't my issue. 

Trae

Risacher

Daniels

JJ

Capela

If they can finish in the 10-18 range of 5 man units with qualified mins, I think the sky is the limit. 

Kobe is our weakest 2nd unit player and he's good. He's most teams 7th or 8th man, some bad benches 6th man. Everyone else can start and be top 20 in their position. 

Kobe

Bogi

Hunter 

Nance Jr.

Okongwu 

With Matthews, Roddy, Vit, Gueye, and Zeller filling out the bench, this should be the best bench in the NBA competing with New York which lost Robinson who's now starting but gained Tyler Kolek who I really like. 

This could be the best Hawk squad in ages if healthy. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2