• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: What's Next? 2024-25 Season Outlook.

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

It will be interesting to see if we have different starting and closing lineups.  I could see those being different.  I have a hard time seeing Bogi not on the floor to close in most games.  I have an easier time seeing him enter the game off the bench even though I think he is also a viable option as a starter.

Should be some mixing and matching depending on the score and opponent as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 26/8/2024 at 19:11, NBASupes dijo:

The starters are Mt biggest question. For the first time in since the ECF run, the fit isn't my issue. 

Trae

Risacher

Daniels

JJ

Capela

If they can finish in the 10-18 range of 5 man units with qualified mins, I think the sky is the limit. 

Kobe is our weakest 2nd unit player and he's good. He's most teams 7th or 8th man, some bad benches 6th man. Everyone else can start and be top 20 in their position. 

Kobe

Bogi

Hunter 

Nance Jr.

Okongwu 

With Matthews, Roddy, Vit, Gueye, and Zeller filling out the bench, this should be the best bench in the NBA competing with New York which lost Robinson who's now starting but gained Tyler Kolek who I really like. 

This could be the best Hawk squad in ages if healthy. 

Daniels need to play with Trae, we need a capable defender for Trae.

Bogi do not fit Trae so he needs to play on the 2nd unit with Bufkin.

So the question is Who is starting? Risacher or Hunter? I don't have the choice clear, I see pros and cons on both but I think at the beginning Hunter is starting.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Daniels need to play with Trae, we need a capable defender for Trae.

Bogi do not fit Trae so he needs to play on the 2nd unit with Bufkin.

So the question is Who is starting? Risacher or Hunter? I don't have the choice clear, I see pros and cons on both but I think at the beginning Hunter is starting.

This is insane.  Just look at the numbers when Trae and Bogi play together and explain to me how they don't fit.  Look past your assumptions and look at the results when they are on the floor together before replying.

I'm eager to see DD and Trae playing together but I don't presume it will deliver a better impact than Bogi and Trae who have been great together.

I will be shocked if we don't get plenty of minutes with Trae / Bogi and Trae / DD so I assume we will have plenty of minutes from which to draw comparisons.  Trae and a floor spreading SG has been a very effective fit in the past.

• Like 3

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I bet JC was near the top of the list when he was with Trae.  No coincidence that this reads largely like a list of the best PGs in the league and their best big man roll partner.

• Like 4

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, SalvorMallow said:

How does one define best here? I'm surprised Capella isn't up there. 

Would be nice to know that definition but Capella is probably quite high regardless. You can be top 10 and not listed.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 12:36 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

The Jazz are fooling themselves if they think Keyonte George is a PG. I would much rather they give those PG reps to their most recent draft pick Isaiah Collier.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 8:45 AM, AHF said:

This is insane.  Just look at the numbers when Trae and Bogi play together and explain to me how they don't fit.  Look past your assumptions and look at the results when they are on the floor together before replying.

I'm eager to see DD and Trae playing together but I don't presume it will deliver a better impact than Bogi and Trae who have been great together.

I will be shocked if we don't get plenty of minutes with Trae / Bogi and Trae / DD so I assume we will have plenty of minutes from which to draw comparisons.  Trae and a floor spreading SG has been a very effective fit in the past.

I know you disagree but Bogi and Trae just has never been a great fit. Bogi just seems to be for comfortable in the 2nd unit over the years. I know you will say it's not much of a difference but it's noticeable even for Bogi.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I know you disagree but Bogi and Trae just has never been a great fit. Bogi just seems to be for comfortable in the 2nd unit over the years. I know you will say it's not much of a difference but it's noticeable even for Bogi.

Look at the numbers when Trae and Bogi play together.  They are great.

The guy whose numbers are much better coming off the bench is Dre not Bogi.  (Big Red was the reverse before he was shipped to Sacramento).  Bogi’s numbers are slightly different and a bit influenced by the fact that when he has started recently it is often because some other important player is injuried making the job harder for him and everyone else but there isn’t a significant gap.

• JayBirdHawk changed the title to 2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: What's Next? 2024-25 Season Outlook.
  • Premium Member

Atlanta Hawks: Trae Young's Future with the Franchise

1 OF 30

INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA - APRIL 14: Trae Young #11 of the Atlanta Hawks brings the ball up court during the game against the Indiana Pacers at Gainbridge Fieldhouse on April 14, 2024 in Indianapolis, Indiana. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Michael Hickey/Getty Images)
Michael Hickey/Getty Images

Trae Young has resided within the trade rumor mill for over a year now. While the Hawks haven't sent the three-time All-Star packing yet, the point guard's future with the franchise feels far from settled.

Atlanta, which traded away his backcourt mate, Dejounte Murray, this summer, could be on the precipice of a top-to-bottom rebuild. The Hawks might feel they can't go full-on tank mode since they don't control their next three first-round picks, but it's not like logging major mileage on the treadmill of mediocrity is doing them a lot of good.

The Hawks have quietly assembled an intriguing young core featuring Jalen Johnson, Onyeka Okongwu, Kobe Bufkin and this year's top pick, Zaccharie Risacher, and it might be in their best interest to ship out their remaining vets and focus on these players' development. Young has proven tricky to trade, though, so it's possible he and the Hawks are merely stuck with one another until a viable alternative comes along.

None of 'the intriguing Young core' has yet to show they can be the cornerstone of a rebuild.....yet! They didn't come out the box ready made for the spotlight like Trae did in year one. I'm hoping ZR does. JJ appears ready for the next step but remains a work in progress. OO has yet to tear the starting role from CC. Bufkin keeps getting injured.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10133553-30-storylines-ahead-of-2024-nba-training-camp

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Every NBA Team's Biggest Win and Loss of the 2024 Offseason

Atlanta Hawks

Biggest Win: Landing the No. 1 pick

Winning the draft lottery is a HugeFreakingDeal for a franchise that doesn't control its next three first-rounders. Whether you think the Atlanta Hawks made the most of that pick is debatable.

Zaccharie Risacher seems more plug-and-play than conventional star prospect. But 1) we can't know for sure until he plays the games, and 2) that's not the end of the world. Risacher's hustle in transition and half-court floor navigation will translate, and his value skyrockets should he consistently bang in triples, even if only from the corners.

Also, even with De'Andre Hunter and Dyson Daniels in the fold, Risacher is likely Atlanta's best shot at having someone next season who qualifies as a two-way wing.

Biggest Loss: Dejounte Murray

Trading Murray stings on three fronts.

It is first and foremost an admittance that the Hawks never should have acquired him. After that, Atlanta must grapple with having accepted a largely future-focused return despite not really controlling its own future. (See: Draft obligations to San Antonio.)

And finally, regardless of how you feel about his fit or the return on his departure, the Hawks are now tasked with replacing 22.5 points, 6.4 assists and 7.1 three-point attempts per game.

How do you see us replacing DJ's 22.5ppg/6.4apg? 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10132772-every-nba-teams-biggest-win-and-loss-of-the-2024-offseason

12 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I expect to replace some of Murray's points with better defense / fit with the player we got in that trade.  I see all the other stuff we got in this trade as a + for Atlanta.

:smug:

• Like 1

How many centers do we really need?

Clint Capela

Onyeka Okongwu

Larry Nance Jr.

Cody Zeller

Mohamed Gueye

Dominick Barlow

Sure, some of these players can play PF but some of them can't.  All six are capable of playing center.  Pick out which ones that you believe are no good.  But what if you're wrong.  Even the worst of them have talent.  And, not a rookie in the entire list.

I know.  It sounds crazy.  I believe that the bottom player on the list, who is on a two-way contract and will begin the season with the Skyhawks, will be so good that we can't just keep him down on the farm.  He's very young, yet experienced and very talented.  Yep.  Keep an eye out for this one.  He's going to be very good.  A real steal for the Hawks.  I may be his only fan on the Squawk.  Give him a little time.  He will win you over!!

:smug:

• Like 1