• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

7 hours ago, KB21 said:

They make a good case for Clingan, and I respect them.  They also acknowledge the fact that with Clingan, you limit your PNR defense to drop coverage only, and this puts even more emphasis on getting POA wing defenders whereas Sarr lessens that need with his ability to play multiple PNR schemes.  IMO, Clingan is a guy who you will be happy with for a period of time, and then when the drop coverage gets exploited in the playoffs, you will wish you had a Sarr/Chet/Wemby/Mobley/JJJ type defender at the center spot and not a guy who can only play drop coverage.  

If you got the chance to draft a player like them you do it..we 1 year away from Wemby being a dominant force ..drafting a player that can possibly match up should be priority.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

All his movements just seem slow to me....  I know I'm supposed to see some top 5 draft pick but..... 

Yeah.  The shot motion is too slow.  If I were buying him, I'd sell his passing ability more than any shooting equity he may or may not have.  He's a legit great passer who makes decisions and sees things very quickly from that standpoint.  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I would be totally fine with taking Clingan because a big guy that's a defensive anchor and can do what he does on offense is what we need. We desperately need a big guy that can do more than what Capela brings

• Thanks 2

If this starts in the correct spot, you have Sarr with the rim protection block on the defensive end and then comes down and banks in the three-point shot on offense.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would take Sarr, but it isn't because I feel there is a gaping hole at center, because that comment completely diminishes Okongwu's real talent as a center and gets me back to the premise that I absolutely hate which is that Okongwu isn't big enough so we should just ignore his real talent.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I would take Sarr, but it isn't because I feel there is a gaping hole at center, because that comment completely diminishes Okongwu's real talent as a center and gets me back to the premise that I absolutely hate which is that Okongwu isn't big enough so we should just ignore his real talent.  

I've seen OO get destroyed by enough big centers to want off that train. He has talent and I wouldn't just give him away but I would prefer a bigger center. My dream lineup for next season assuming no trades would be a front court of Sarr/OO/Jalen and I dgaf about where the play on offense because defense is where it would really shine with each guy's strengths matching up well to the other guy's weaknesses. Sarr's ability to roam and switch and be a rim protector would make that a very hard matchup defensively.

• Like 3

I'm watching Clingan and trying to like him more than I do, but man!  I can't get past how slow he moves at times.  It's not Edey slow, but it's slow.  I think it is probably a conditioning issue with him, because there are times where I do see him move quickly in a short space.  By and large though, he looks like he moves slow at times to conserve energy.  

I'm also not going to buy into the OO gets destroyed by bigger centers talk.  I've seen OO defend Embiid as well as anyone in the NBA can defend him and also have the versatility to defend Giannis very well one on one.  I think too many have taken one game where Andre Drummond had a career night for himself against the Hawks, and that has suddenly become extrapolated to when the Hawks face bigger centers.  

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I'm also not going to buy into the OO gets destroyed by bigger centers talk.  I've seen OO defend Embiid as well as anyone in the NBA can defend him and also have the versatility to defend Giannis very well one on one.  I think too many have taken one game where Andre Drummond had a career night for himself against the Hawks, and that has suddenly become extrapolated to when the Hawks face bigger centers.  

Every big center that I can remember has good to really good nights against OO. It's not just Drummond. OO has some games where he can defend someone well because his athletic ability negates them (Giannis is the best example of this) but when it comes to sheer size...he struggles. To put it mildly. 

• Like 3

It reminds me way too much of the "Al Horford is too small to be a real center" talk that just angers me every time I think about Hawks fans taking that stance.