Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

• Premium Member

OO struggles when the refs selectively officiate the game with extreme finesse.  He excels in the playoffs and he will excel with the physicality that started being allowed in the second half of this past season.  I can't wait to watch him next year.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Sarr basically destroyed G league Ignite in both games they played last season and they have TWO prospects almost guaranteed to be top 10 picks this draft. 

For me personally I would take Sarr at #1, if for some reason they don't want him then take Clingan. We have a gaping hole at center IMO and we need improvement there. 

Is this a change from wanting to trade down and take Edey?  I feel like I read that from you but could be misremembering.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

OO struggles when the refs selectively officiate the game with extreme finesse.  He excels in the playoffs and he will excel with the physicality that started being allowed in the second half of this past season.  I can't wait to watch him next year.

I'm really hoping to see OO seize a starting role just like i was last year.  I am not sure I can co-sign him excelling in the playoffs, though.

He averages 3.8 points and 3.7 rebounds per game in the playoffs and the best playoff run of his career is a series where he averaged 6.0 points and 6.6 rebounds per game.  I need more from him to say he "excelled" in the playoffs.  (These numbers are substantially down from his regular season numbers with only a few more minutes per game as he played just under 22 minutes a game in his last two playoff series.)

• Like 2

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Is this a change from wanting to trade down and take Edey?  I feel like I read that from you but could be misremembering.

I'm fine with taking Edey but not at #1. I want Sarr at #1, Clingan would be acceptable there as well but IMO it would be a stretch. 

• Like 2

I also totally get the concerns that he is going to get wedged some by bigger stronger bodies early in his career, and I think that will become less of a concern as he fills out his body and gains strength.  He's going to be a completely different player from a physical standpoint when he's 22 than he is when he's 19.  The Hawks have a very innovative approach to strength and conditioning, and they specifically tailor things to the players and their position.  So, he's going to be working on things with strength and conditioning that will translate.  

• Like 2

Just now, KB21 said:

I also totally get the concerns that he is going to get wedged some by bigger stronger bodies early in his career, and I think that will become less of a concern as he fills out his body and gains strength.  He's going to be a completely different player from a physical standpoint when he's 22 than he is when he's 19.  The Hawks have a very innovative approach to strength and conditioning, and they specifically tailor things to the players and their position.  So, he's going to be working on things with strength and conditioning that will translate.  

My concern and I believe his concern as well is he may lose some of his quickness with bulking up.  They have to find a happy medium if he's the pick. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I am anticipating Sarr leaving some stronger player to OO (or CC or Bruno or whoever else is on the roster) in some matchups with Sarr then marking the 4.  He doesn't have to be the guy handling the bull for the other team as a rookie.  But some of that will be inevitable given how young and slim he is.  (I've even seen it in some of the footage from the Australian league - which, again, is expected for someone with his frame at his age.)

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, KB21 said:

What is innovative about the Hawks strength and conditioning program?  I honestly have no idea.  My only takeaway is that whatever program the team has it has not been hugely successful in terms of keeping guys on the court (though Bogi's availability this past season was a pleasant surprise).

• Like 1

I like Sarr, and think we should probably pick him.  Although, he might play the same position of our best player outside of Trae, Jalen.  Which that's not a huge deal, but then Mo Gueye could become an amazing rotation guy at the same position. 

Then you have Okongwu who also might end up being best as a PF, but like others I'm not sold on him as a starting NBA center. 

• Premium Member

Draft the best player longterm regardless of fit.  That said, I'd like to see Vit back as he's a young wing who's showed growth on both ends of the floor.  Another reason I like Sarr over Risacher.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

A Harrison Barnes comp??????? :er:

1. Atlanta Hawks: Zaccharie Risacher

1 OF 58

PARIS, FRANCE - APRIL 28: Zaccharie Risacher of Bourg en Bresse Basket runs with the ball during the Betclic Elite match between Paris and Bourg en Bresse Basket at Adidas Arena on April 28, 2024 in Paris, France. (Photo by Aurelien Meunier/Getty Images)
Aurelien Meunier/Getty Images

May 12 Mock Draft Spot: No. 2

Team: JL Bourg-en-Bresse

Position: SG/SF

Size: 6'8", 204 lbs

Age/Year: 19

Nationality: French

Pro Comparison: Harrison Barnes

With lottery teams paying close attention to the LNB Pro A playoffs, Zaccharie Risacher picked a good time to explode for a career-high 28 points on Saturday.

The Atlanta Hawks' big decision-makers made the trip to France for JL Bourg's previous game.

While scouts continue to debate the height of Risacher's ceiling, there is also perceived level of certainty tied to his positional size, athleticism, shotmaking and defensive tools/quickness. And in a draft where there isn't an obvious, sure-thing All-Star at the top, Risacher's floor and valued three-and-D archetype could give him an edge with a team that saw AJ Griffin struggle with injuries and Saddiq Bey go down late to an ACL tear.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10121302-2024-nba-mock-draft-a-new-no-1-pro-player-comps-for-every-prospect

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A Harrison Barnes comp??????? :er:

1. Atlanta Hawks: Zaccharie Risacher

1 OF 58

PARIS, FRANCE - APRIL 28: Zaccharie Risacher of Bourg en Bresse Basket runs with the ball during the Betclic Elite match between Paris and Bourg en Bresse Basket at Adidas Arena on April 28, 2024 in Paris, France. (Photo by Aurelien Meunier/Getty Images)
Aurelien Meunier/Getty Images

May 12 Mock Draft Spot: No. 2

Team: JL Bourg-en-Bresse

Position: SG/SF

Size: 6'8", 204 lbs

Age/Year: 19

Nationality: French

Pro Comparison: Harrison Barnes

With lottery teams paying close attention to the LNB Pro A playoffs, Zaccharie Risacher picked a good time to explode for a career-high 28 points on Saturday.

The Atlanta Hawks' big decision-makers made the trip to France for JL Bourg's previous game.

While scouts continue to debate the height of Risacher's ceiling, there is also perceived level of certainty tied to his positional size, athleticism, shotmaking and defensive tools/quickness. And in a draft where there isn't an obvious, sure-thing All-Star at the top, Risacher's floor and valued three-and-D archetype could give him an edge with a team that saw AJ Griffin struggle with injuries and Saddiq Bey go down late to an ACL tear.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10121302-2024-nba-mock-draft-a-new-no-1-pro-player-comps-for-every-prospect

If that comp is accurate, the Hawks can't take him.