Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

• Moderators

People need to remember there is a whole lot of stupid this time of year.  When a team wants a guy to drop, they leak stupid stories about them.  Remember Sarr who seems to have played a role off the bench without complaint last year in an Australian league?  He says he will literally light the team bus on fire if he isn’t the #1 option averaging 20 shots a game next year in the NBA.  Guess we should pass on him, amiright?  You still like him?  Figured you would support the terrorists.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, AHF said:

People need to remember there is a whole lot of stupid this time of year.  When a team wants a guy to drop, they leak stupid stories about them.  Remember Sarr who seems to have played a role off the bench without complaint last year in an Australian league?  He says he will literally light the team bus on fire if he isn’t the #1 option averaging 20 shots a game next year in the NBA.  Guess we should pass on him, amiright?  You still like him?  Figured you would support the terrorists.

IF he said that, I want him even more. Nothing stopping the Sarr train for me. Risacher I could live with knowing he won't be a star but balanced type player.  I'd rather trade out of one of it ain't Sarr.  @JayBirdHawksaid to back away... Chill. I'm doing pretty good so far.

IMB_20220720030658_qcUD.gif

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

If this was 1985 the thread title would read:  "Jon Koncak or Patrick Ewing, battle of 1st overall pick."

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952pwe7gw391b97sa5bw3d

Man, ya'll hilarious. It's crazy because I see this as, would you rather have Valde Divac mixed with Mason Plumlee and Clint Capela or Marquese Chriss, Johnathan Bender whos can switch and defend the perimeter exceptionally well who you hopes becomes a MVP candidate if it all comes together. It's not as promising either way but I definitely feel better about Clingan if that's my choice as 1.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 12:14 PM, Jody23 said:

Yeah, if he can't create or pass at a high level...I don't see the appeal at #1.  Not to say that he can't develop those skills.

Yep and he's poor around the basket. Sarr is far ahead of him for me. 

Edited by GThawks3

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Man, ya'll hilarious. It's crazy because I see this as, would you rather have Valde Divac mixed with Mason Plumlee and Clint Capela or Marquese Chriss, Johnathan Bender whos can switch and defend the perimeter exceptionally well who you hopes becomes a MVP candidate if it all comes together. It's not as promising either way but I definitely feel better about Clingan if that's my choice as 1.

I’ve been calling Clingan a mash up between Arvydas Sabonis and Gobert, but not nearly as dominant as Gobert.  

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I’ve been calling Clingan a mash up between Arvydas Sabonis and Gobert, but not nearly as dominant as Gobert.  

Sabonis was arguably more dominant than Gobert granted that we saw the post-prime in the NBA.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I don't see Sabonis at all. Sabonis was a post up monster. He was basically a bigger Jokic. Clingan is a very good post up player like Divac and can pass his ass off but Clingan has weak legs like Divac. He don't have Sabonis or Jokic upside. 

I can see the Gobert comps on D. But I see more Capela and Plumlee as he's more athletic than Gobert but Gobert just has a much stronger base. He's also more explosive than Gobert. Defensively, there might be a chance Clingan is better if the mental is elite. 

I can see why people see Clingan as a potential star. It's unlikely but it's possible. I just like Edey game more personally and I see the direct fit with Trae as while Clingan has an excellent upper body strength, his legs are weak. Edey upper body strength is decent and the fluidity hurts it to a large degree. Edey lower body strength rivals Shaq. Best I've seen in decades. Steven Adams is the strength 🐐 tho. He's the strongest player I've ever seen. 

20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't see Sabonis at all. Sabonis was a post up monster. He was basically a bigger Jokic. Clingan is a very good post up player like Divac and can pass his ass off but Clingan has weak legs like Divac. He don't have Sabonis or Jokic upside. 

I can see the Gobert comps on D. But I see more Capela and Plumlee as he's more athletic than Gobert but Gobert just has a much stronger base. He's also more explosive than Gobert. Defensively, there might be a chance Clingan is better if the mental is elite. 

I can see why people see Clingan as a potential star. It's unlikely but it's possible. I just like Edey game more personally and I see the direct fit with Trae as while Clingan has an excellent upper body strength, his legs are weak. Edey upper body strength is decent and the fluidity hurts it to a large degree. Edey lower body strength rivals Shaq. Best I've seen in decades. Steven Adams is the strength 🐐 tho. He's the strongest player I've ever seen. 

Sabonis comp is more about passing touch and paint defense. 

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Sabonis comp is more about passing touch and paint defense. 

Clingan reminds me more of Brad Daugherty tbh. People forget all the things he could do for those really, really great Cavs teams of the late 80's and early 90's.

9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Clingan reminds me more of Brad Daugherty tbh. People forget all the things he could do for those really, really great Cavs teams of the late 80's and early 90's.

Comparing him to a big from the 89s and 90s that would struggle in the modern NBA isn’t a good thing.  

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, KB21 said:

KP flopped with Luka and we all know he's light-years from Wemby not to mention, he's light-years from KP offensively at the same stage. He does have the highest ceiling in this draft but what if he doesn't progress here, then he's worse than he's trending worse than AJ and JJ at the same stage and we spent a significant asset on him whereas we didn't with AJ or JJ. The risk is just too steep for me from the tape. I'll trade down if someone badly wants the pick but if Atlanta wants Clingan, it makes a lot of sense. I'll just prefer Edey for what we do with Trae. 

Edited by NBASupes

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Comparing him to a big from the 89s and 90s that would struggle in the modern NBA isn’t a good thing.  

Yep, because modern NBA bigs are bust proof and we already have the one modern NBA big in OO who hasn't progress consistently once since Quin took the job. Maybe Quin and Trae like traditional true centers. Based on Quin success in Utah, it seems that way. 

Bro, we don't see this the way you do. We believe Clingan and Edey are way better than Sarr and the tape says the same. Continue to sell potential water, we don't care. Give me alkaline water. We know what it is. What's it PH. We know it's the truth. Your created vitamin water is all hype and fizzle. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

I really wouldn't be mad if we got either Sarr or Clingan. They both project to be elite defenders in the NBA, however, I think Clingan will make a bigger impact in the NBA day one.

Clingan's already better at doing the Center stuff right now than Sarr (primarily in screening, rebounding, paint protection/rim deterrence, finishing through contact and at the rim). He's also a really underrated passer and should be able to function as a DHO hub, which could do wonders for unlocking Trae's off-ball game and making Trae a much more efficient scorer.

Sarr's defensive versatility is special; and even though he's not as good as Clingan right now at doing Center stuff as of today, his potential to be a guy that can switch 1-5 and space the floor on offense cannot be ignored.

If you were to ask me 3 weeks ago after we got the 1st pick on Draft Lottery day, I would've said take Sarr and not look back. However, after having time to look more into Clingan's game, I'm really intrigued on how he can help us win immediately and potentially keep Trae happy enough to stay. I also think that if other teams are not as high on Clingan, we should absolutely look to trade back (no lower than 5) to get additional assets and take him as well.

I've been moved to be a Clingan guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So you think taking Walker Kessler with the #1 pick is a good idea?

In this draft, yeah. You think taking Johnathan Bender with the #1 pick is a good idea?

• Sad 1

Here’s the other thing with taking Clingan that high.  If your basis on doing is to keep Trae happy, then you are likely going to lose him in 2 years anyway after taking Clingan.  Because now you are limited at center to drop only defense.  That scheme will get exposed in the playoffs like it does every year.  We aren’t good enough defensively on the perimeter to be a drop only defense.  So now, in two years you have this limited drop only big whose offensive value is 100% derived from Trae Young, and you have no Trae Young.  

• Premium Member

I'm resolving myself to the high likelihood that the Hawks are going to do something that will draw a ton of scrutiny from the fanbase with the 1st pick and the draft in general.  In the end, we just hope that it works out.