• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I actually had a brief 5 minute talk with BK about a week before that draft. Begged him to take Deron Williams or Chris Paul. He told me to my face that he didn't see any strong point guards in this draft and didn't want to use that high of a pick on either one. I was in shock. I knew then we were doomed. It was GLARINGLY OBVIOUS that Deron and Paul were once in a decade PG prospects.

WTH?  That's crazy.   How could he be wrong about 2 PGs?   Dude just didn't like short players at all.  He thought JJ could play point.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I actually had a brief 5 minute talk with BK about a week before that draft. Begged him to take Deron Williams or Chris Paul. He told me to my face that he didn't see any strong point guards in this draft and didn't want to use that high of a pick on either one. I was in shock. I knew then we were doomed. It was GLARINGLY OBVIOUS that Deron and Paul were once in a decade PG prospects.

What happened after. Back to his place for a tickle and pillow fight? :airquote: How did the day end with him, you give him a “fresh one” for that stupidity or what? 👋 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I think this is a legitimately weak draft.  Why do we want to take two players in it? 

I don't know.  We'd be sending out talent to draft these two guys who are borderline prospects.  Sometimes i wonder why i bother. 

Draft fever. 🥵 happens every year. You an OG Daddy comon bady! You’re better’n nat.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

That isn't what Sothron said but if he does say that in the future (i.e., that Ressler again forced the front office to do something they didn't think was a good idea) then we are ****'d with him as the owner.  He needs to not be making any of these decisions.  That is why you have a GM.  Fire the GM if you don't have confidence in them but let the GM do his job.

Good word.  Not sure we’ve heard any rumor of substance saying Ressler is contradicting the GM in this year’s draft process.  That may come out, but the Hawks have been pretty quiet in general.  

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

What happened after. Back to his place for a tickle and pillow fight? :airquote: How did the day end with him, you give him a “fresh one” for that stupidity or what? 👋 

I told him that with respect I disagree and that both Deron and Paul were can't miss point guards. He kinda smirked at me, asked me how many years I played in the NBA to have such an informed point guard opinion, and pretty much shut down the brief talk. 

11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I think this is a legitimately weak draft.  Why do we want to take two players in it? 

I don't know.  We'd be sending out talent to draft these two guys who are borderline prospects.  Sometimes i wonder why i bother. 

It is a weak draft overall but that doesn't mean there's not good prospects in it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, txsting said:

Now maybe you could get somebody and Edey realistically.  Because I'm not so sure Edey is less valuable than Clingan.  Head to head Edey showed out, and in the combine it is obvious Edey has been working HARD to get the numbers he got.

Remember how people goofed on Edey's sprint?  I want you to realize that Clingan was slower than that.

Watching the tapes, Edey looks smoother running and athletically seems more bouncy and fluid to me.  Clingan labors around like it takes a lot of effort for him to move. 

Maybe it's b/c Edey is a few years older and more developed but he just looks more healthy/stronger and more like his body could withstand a full NBA season.  Edey's injury concerns are low and he played big minutes in college.  Clingan hasn't played big minutes yet.

I do like Clingan and he would make this team better, but I just hate that he can't shoot FTs.  That takes him down a peg for me.

Edited by AtLaS
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I think it's the scenario I mentioned above.  They like Sarr and Risacher.  Ressler wants Clingan.  So, they are trying to find a way to get Risacher and Clingan.  

2 hours ago, Sothron said:

He's at least 6'9" and probably 6'10". There's no official measurements for him. Plus, he's only 19 so there's a real chance he grows at least another inch. 

He has a high basketball IQ and feel for the game. He can defend multiple positions. He can shoot. Quin wants players at all five positions if he can that can make quick, smart decisions and look for the best pass or shot. Risacher does this. So does Clingan. 

I know this isn't the popular opinion but if we walked out of draft night with Risacher and Clingan I would be happy. If we walk out with just Sarr I will be happy. We were supposed to have the 10th pick in the draft. Anything we do draft wise is basically playing with house money at this point.

We will know measurements tomorrow at the nba global camp 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

Me either.  Watching the tapes, Edey looks smoother running and athletically seems more bouncy and fluid to me.  Clingan labors around like it takes a lot of effort for him to move. 

Maybe it's b/c Edey is a few years older and more developed but he just looks more healthy/stronger and more like his body could withstand a full NBA season.

I do like Clingan and he would make this team better, but I just hate that he can't shoot FTs.  That takes him down a peg for me.

Clingan is slow footed, but he's much quicker and moves a lot better than Edey.  There's a reason he projects to be a far better defender than Edey.  Edey has better conditioning and that's it.  

• Like 1

I think the perception that this is a "weak" draft is a bit of a misconception. I think a more accurate description would be that this is a "flat" draft. It is weak at the top to be sure, but there are quality prospects littered throughout the first round. So to want two such prospects in this first round is based on seeking multiple quality players rather than pinning your hopes on a higher-than-usual risk prospect at the top of this draft. We may disagree on which of those players we should target, but I think that the logic of wanting multiple players in a flat draft is sound.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Sothron said:

...and the fact that we had a team FULL of wings and high flyers who desperately needed a PG.  Even the draft analysts were confused by the pick.  The consensus was that Marvin Williams was a solid #2 pick, but we didn't need him.  We needed a PG and should have traded back.

18 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

WTH?  That's crazy.   How could he be wrong about 2 PGs?   Dude just didn't like short players at all.  He thought JJ could play point.  

That was his thinking and why he went all in for JJ.  I understand that the professionals in the league are closer to it than we are, but they are human like the rest of us and don't always get it right (they often don't get it right in the draft).  Much of the time, I think leaning on common sense over their inflated egos and pride would lead to better decisions.

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I think it's the scenario I mentioned above.  They like Sarr and Risacher.  Ressler wants Clingan.  So, they are trying to find a way to get Risacher and Clingan.  

Unless you are getting the #1 and #2 pick, you are really talking about a lower lottery pick there.  Your choice between Sarr and Risacher is the same at the top.  You aren't likely to get #1 and #2.

I'm good with Sarr and trading DJM for more proven talent.

• Like 3

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I told him that with respect I disagree and that both Deron and Paul were can't miss point guards. He kinda smirked at me, asked me how many years I played in the NBA to have such an informed point guard opinion, and pretty much shut down the brief talk. 

Well, that missed draft pick may be his NBA legacy more even than his fight with a certain ego driven owner trying to simultaneously freeze the payroll and conduct a hostile takeover of the team.  When you think of bad draft picks over the last 30 years, Marvin over Paul is not at the top of the list but pretty damn high on it.  Kind of in the Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan class of bad picks at #2 overall.  You got a useful role player and missed on a star.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

Watching the tapes, Edey looks smoother running and athletically seems more bouncy and fluid to me.  Clingan labors around like it takes a lot of effort for him to move. 

Maybe it's b/c Edey is a few years older and more developed but he just looks more healthy/stronger and more like his body could withstand a full NBA season.  Edey's injury concerns are low and he played big minutes in college.  Clingan hasn't played big minutes yet.

I said that earlier.  Clingan is going from worst, to worser when it comes to Edey vs Clingan.

7 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I said that earlier.  Clingan is going from worst, to worser when it comes to Edey vs Clingan.

Watch the film.  I’m not a Clingan fan, but he’s a much better mover than Edey.  

31 minutes ago, AHF said:

Unless you are getting the #1 and #2 pick, you are really talking about a lower lottery pick there.  Your choice between Sarr and Risacher is the same at the top.  You aren't likely to get #1 and #2.

I'm good with Sarr and trading DJM for more proven talent.

Yeah, but the specific rumor is about trying to get Risacher and Clingan.  Not Buzelis and Clingan or Castle and Clingan.