• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

38 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I think someone mentioned that the Hawks in a switch heavy lineup will have to get really good at preswitching which should address some of your concerns there.  I'm just looking for the player with the most defensive potential here. I'm tired of this putrid defense we keep running out there.  The draft swing for the fences, free agency better address this defense some way.

You have to take him. You just have to

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

I think someone mentioned that the Hawks in a switch heavy lineup will have to get really good at preswitching which should address some of your concerns there.  I'm just looking for the player with the most defensive potential here. I'm tired of this putrid defense we keep running out there.  The draft swing for the fences, free agency better address this defense some way.

The Wizards are praying the Hawks do the stupid.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

You have to take him. You just have to

If I'm in the front office they would just have to run me to Washington and join Travis Schlenk.  Every video I see of Sarr's raw talent makes me wonder what the heck are the Hawks doing?  Clear the decks and give Sarr his minutes to develop.  It ain't like they are championship ready right now anyway.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

If I'm in the front office they would just have to run me to Washington and join Travis Schlenk.  Every video I see of Sarr's raw talent makes me wonder what the heck are the Hawks doing?  Clear the decks and give Sarr his minutes to develop.  It ain't like they are championship ready right now anyway.

[]  Hey!  Let's clear the decks and tank.  We won't be able to win more than 20 games for the next 5 years, but let's let these young guys play without actually earning their time.  

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, marco102 said:

Suspicious number of cuts in this video lol add elite marketing to this guys resume.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I’m sure this question has been asked and answered but I missed it.

I know the Bulls had 45 wins (+3 the next season) and Cavs had 33 wins when they selected Rose and Wiggins #1, respectively.  Is 36 wins by the Hawks the second most ever in the lottery era?

Huh?

You forget those 13 and 26 win seasons? Got the #3 pick and drafted Al Horford?

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Huh?

You forget those 13 and 26 win seasons? Got the #3 pick and drafted Al Horford?

I must’ve worded it wrong/ you misunderstood.  What teams had the most wins the year prior to winning the #1 pick?

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I’m sure this question has been asked and answered but I missed it.

I know the Bulls had 45 wins (+3 the next season) and Cavs had 33 wins when they selected Rose and Wiggins #1, respectively.  Is 36 wins by the Hawks the second most ever in the lottery era?

Spurs went from 20 wins in 96-97 to 56 wins after they selected some guy named Tim Duncan with the #1 overall pick in the 1997 draft. 

15 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I must’ve worded it wrong/ you misunderstood.  What teams had the most wins the year prior to winning the #1 pick?

Quick sleuthing came up with this: The Lakers went 57-25 and won the national title in 1981-82. Due to some trade shenanigans, they acquired the #1 pick to select James Worthy. They promptly went 58-24 but didn't win the title.

Wiki link

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheTruth said:

Quick sleuthing came up with this: The Lakers went 57-25 and won the national title in 1981-82. Due to some trade shenanigans, they acquired the #1 pick to select James Worthy. They promptly went 58-24 but didn't win the title.

Wiki link

57 wins then getting James Worthy?  Godd@mn.  Definately some fishy sh%t going down in the lottery’s early years, throw the infamous Knicks draft in there.

Final call for me. It’s really only two choices. 

I like Sarr’s upside. But he doesn’t have a lengthy track record of ever consistently playing up to his upside. Everyone has been waiting on him to take a leap. Guys like that scare me. Coupled with an unwillingness to work out for us. I think Clingan is the pick.

If you had told any of us in the spring that we would come out of this draft with Donovan Clingan we would have been ecstatic. He is the highest floor prospect in this draft who could easily contribute to playing winning basketball. He is an A plus rim protector. While he is not as switchable I also think that he can help anchor our defense on the interior which has been porous over the last couple years. Both are improvements. And he’s Ready to play from day 1 with some upside potential.