• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It's not about a commitment. That's just not in his wheel house. He's not a high motor, movement guy. That's just not his portfolio. 

I really think most fans don't understand that it's not just athleticism and skill that's locked in due to your direct attributes. 

I know what you mean, I have this critique for most NBA players. He's just the guy I'm zeroing in on at this moment.

Deandre Hunter is someone who to me makes sense why he doesn't have a super high motor, he looks stiff somewhat and isn't particularly agile, so I can see the struggle in his movements. 

I have the personal belief that everyone has access to a high motor to the limit which your body allows for. I see no physical reason as to why Sarr shouldn't have one so that's where my critique of him is rooted in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Yep, which is why I wouldn't say "it's just summer league".  The most concerning thing is not the 15 misses, it's the habits and tendencies he has that will have to be unwound and retrained, if he is even willing.  Like, if you're not a great screener or great at boxing out / rebounding, that's one thing.  But he doesn't seem to want to do any of those things.

With Trae, it was literally just summer league.  Make some shots, miss some, is what it is, but you could see the elite vision and passing and playmaking.  And you had a year in college as evidence he can score.  Feels different with this guy and it's why I wanted Risacher over him in the first place.

The biggest issue Trae was having in SL was in isolation, he got better in LV but in SLC, he couldn't beat his man 1v1. That said, when he played with JC, that PnR looked like a Ole to Stockton and Malone. 

Both players look like their scout, moreso Sarr than Trae because we know 1v1, Trae is hell to guard in the NBA. He struggled at it in SL. 

People think things like boxing out are easy. It's hard af. I played at a high level. When I hear idiots talk about this part of the game. It's irks me so bad. They really have no clue. Boxing out is hard. Screening is extremely hard. Just the action itself against kids is easy but against pros is extremely difficult. Physically, it weighs on you. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

35 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Idk brother. A lot of fans were extremely off on this guy and questioned the hell outta me who watched a shit ton of possession by possession film on this kid. I didn't want this kid to be a bust. The film just happened to be awful offensively. 

I certainly didn't watch as much film as you but your strong opinions on him after watching a lot of film made me dig deeper and change my opinion to drafting Risacher at #1 or trading back

7 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

It’s not just bad shooting, positionally he wants to showcase he has a perimeter game but he has nothing of substance to offer.  He also doesn’t have much of a big man game on offense or defense.  

That was criticism prior to summer league.  So in his case just summer league means people are seeing his true game outside of highlights for the first time.  

What position is he?  It seems he’s miles away from being a center.  Not a perimeter threat either.  It’s way bigger concerns than just missing shots.  

He's really just an athletic 7 footer.  He's not much closer to being an elite basketball player than he is an elite volleyball player.  In fact, I'm gonna start a propaganda campaign he should switch to volleyball

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aali34 said:

I know what you mean, I have this critique for most NBA players. He's just the guy I'm zeroing in on at this moment.

Deandre Hunter is someone who to me makes sense why he doesn't have a super high motor, he looks stiff somewhat and isn't particularly agile, so I can see the struggle in his movements. 

I have the personal belief that everyone has access to a high motor to the limit which your body allows for. I see no physical reason as to why Sarr shouldn't have one so that's where my critique of him is rooted in.

I know, that's what most here do. They focus on what they believe can't be fixed. The physical limitations. 

Motor isn't given and it's not based on effort. Everyone on the court is giving their best effort. 

• Like 1

Just now, JeffS17 said:

I certainly didn't watch as much film as you but your strong opinions on him after watching a lot of film made me dig deeper and change my opinion to drafting Risacher at #1 or trading back

He's really just an athletic 7 footer.  He's not much closer to being an elite basketball player than he is an elite volleyball player.  In fact, I'm gonna start a propaganda campaign he should switch to volleyball

He's an insane level athletic. His lateral mobility and reaction time is 2nd to none. That's a part of the reason I think he's a bad true big on D is because the best bigs on D are instinctive. Sarr is reactionary like a wing. Sarr could be special but he's light-years away.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I know, that's what most here do. They focus on what they believe can't be fixed. The physical limitations. 

Motor isn't given and it's not based on effort. Everyone on the court is giving their best effort. 

But to a degree it's based on a competitive mindset. A level of internal saltiness that you can tap into and use as fuel for whatever you direct it towards. I don't know many people that lackadaisically play with a high motor, they're typically wired that way.

In the end changing your internal psychology is tough, especially as an athlete so I understand why it's not likely to change for most of them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aali34 said:

But to a degree it's based on a competitive mindset. A level of internal saltiness that you can tap into and use as fuel for whatever you direct it towards. I don't know many people that lackadaisically play with a high motor, they're typically wired that way.

In the end changing your internal psychology is tough, especially as an athlete so I understand why it's not likely to change for most of them.

That's not just athletes. This goes for employees as well.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He wasn't alone. 95% of this board was livid during draft night. It was a ghost town on this site. 

Some even said they were done with the Hawks if they picked him.... 

Wink Wink [ ]

And like I said back then, the Hawks are like Crack..

And I was right...

They're still here.....😀

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AHF said:

For me it is all...it's just summer league.  SL doesn't mean much for anyone for me.

It is a nice entertainment vehicle that gets the NBA in the press and gives fans something to enjoy in the dry days of summer.

While that's true, I'd propose it's a legit question whether there's any carry over effect that has any actual value... and that, perhaps, by taking the same basic framework and moving it all to October just ahead of the full roster for-real training camp... you give yourself a stronger lead-in.

This? The analogy doesn't precisely fit, but close enough... this reminds me of programming Letterman as a morning show instead of behind Carson at night. It sits in a silo, and does nothing really for the real money-generating part of the calendar.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kg01 said:

So we trading Hunter soon or what? 

:stirthepot:

Already did. 

Trading that bum for an actual starter (ZR) and moving Dre to the bench where he belongs. 

just kidding. Kind of. I really like him as the first forward off the bench. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sturt said:

While that's true, I'd propose it's a legit question whether there's any carry over effect that has any actual value... and that, perhaps, by taking the same basic framework and moving it all to October just ahead of the full roster for-real training camp... you give yourself a stronger lead-in.

This? The analogy doesn't precisely fit, but close enough... this reminds me of programming Letterman as a morning show instead of behind Carson at night. It sits in a silo, and does nothing really for the real money-generating part of the calendar.

I would say this is more like a special stand alone summer episode of a program.  It doesn't do much or mean much and is just intended as entertainment and a reminder of the programming that resumes in the fall.  As far as leading into the season, I view that as a separate issue.  The NBA and the players' union can do whatever they want to lead into the season so if there is something they could do as an improvement on what they are doing today have at it.  The two don't conflict at all.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, AHF said:

I would say this is more like a special stand alone summer episode of a program.  It doesn't do much or mean much and is just intended as entertainment and a reminder of the programming that resumes in the fall.  As far as leading into the season, I view that as a separate issue.  The NBA and the players' union can do whatever they want to lead into the season so if there is something they could do as an improvement on what they are doing today have at it.  The two don't conflict at all.

ok

• Haha 2