• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I’d have Risacher at a 50-55 FV.  

I can see the case for Risacher, but I don’t think he’ll have as much impact as Sarr. 
I think ZR has a floor of Exum like career, with the most likely trajectory of Hunter/Marvin. Good enough with enough belief in his potential to earn an overpriced second contract, but not ever a max contract. 
I'd be surprised if he made an all star team. 

Sarr and ZR both have the potential, but Sarr has something ZR never will and that’s his length. 

• Like 1

60 FV:

Alexandre Sarr

55 FV:

Zacharrie Risacher 

Nikola Topic

50 FV:

Tidjane Salaun

Matas Buzelis

Ron Holland

45 FV:

Stephon Castle

Reed Shepppard

Rob Dillingham

Donovan Clingan

Dalton Knecht

Kel’el Ware

Yves Missi

Jakobe Walter

4 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Yep.  I’ve seen enough of the other top prospects to know that Sarr is clearly in a tier at the top by himself.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I know we're all projecting and we don't know how all of these players will turn out, but I really like what I see in Sarr.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Hard to find 7-footers that move this well and are this skilled.  

Agreed.  I know many of us talk alot about the defensive versatility Sarr could bring in tandem with OO and Jalen, but I could see him also being a nice fit defensively with Kobe Bufkin.  And with only two years left on his deal, as much as we love him, the Hawks would be wise not to put all of there eggs in the Trae Young basket.  That's why this pick should be about getting the best player long-term.

• Like 2

6 - foot -10  Z. Risacher may have thrust himself into consideration for the Hawks and their #1 pick.  Always nice to have several options available.  Also, this keeps us on our toes when we guess about this draft pick.  Hawks just went to France to watch him.

:smug:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

6 - foot -10  Z. Risacher may have thrust himself into consideration for the Hawks and their #1 pick.  Always nice to have several options available.  Also, this keeps us on our toes when we guess about this draft pick.  Hawks just went to France to watch him.

:smug:

He’s not 6-10.
French Vanilla wouldn’t be a very exciting choice. 

On 5/12/2024 at 5:41 PM, Threezus said:

Im with you on this one im looking at all possible trade options to see what the absolute best we can get back is before making the pick.    If that means you offer  #1 + Murray + something for a better star than murray thats fine.   If that means you offer Trae + 1st + something for a superstar that might be available thats on the table as well.  I would call every team out there and see what kind of monsters might be possible to pry loose.  Then as you said if nothing is there thats worth your time then Sarr is a fine backup choice.

Trae or Murray + #1 for Embiid?

Trae or Murray + #1 for Durant?

Trae or Murray + #1 for George?

Trae or Murray + #1 for Lebron?

Trae or Murray + #1 for Brown?

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Trae or Murray + #1 for Embiid?

Trae or Murray + #1 for Durant?

Trae or Murray + #1 for George?

Trae or Murray + #1 for Lebron?

Trae or Murray + #1 for Brown?

Brown is the only guy on that list I’d be interested in.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

Brown is the only guy on that list I’d be interested in.

And I can't think of a deal that makes sense for both teams.  Can't really think of any deals that make sense sending the 1st out for a player and not a straight draft capital swap

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

And I can't think of a deal that makes sense for both teams.  Can't really think of any deals that make sense sending the 1st out for a player and not a straight draft capital swap

I agree with Brad Rowland.  The only guy we would likely be able to get that may actually be get able with the 1st pick is Lauri Markkanen, and that’s not a deal the Hawks should make since Lauri does nothing to improve the defense.  

• Like 3

Looks like this debate isn't going away.  ATL and 29 takes a stab at Sarr v Clingan.  They have a pretty balanced view on both, but clearly gives an advantage to Clingan on a variety of fronts.  Connecticut ran the offense through Clingan and won a title because of rebounding, paint protection, and Clingan's surprising ability as a secondary facilitator and passer.  The duo of Jalen and Clingan gives a more clear success recipe where you have that paint protection and rebounding fairly well covered, plus Clingan's ability to feed guys like Jalen cutting while he is in the high post.  

Supes is hammering the issues created by drafting Sarr and you have to be a believer in Sarr's star upside to dismiss the real concerns.  When I saw that we moved up in the top 4, my immediate excitement was getting Clingan at pick 3 or 4.  Having #1 overall changes your thinking in this draft because you have to consider who is most likely "the" star to come out of this draft.  

Listen here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Looks like this debate isn't going away.  ATL and 29 takes a stab at Sarr v Clingan.  They have a pretty balanced view on both, but clearly gives an advantage to Clingan on a variety of fronts.  Connecticut ran the offense through Clingan and won a title because of rebounding, paint protection, and Clingan's surprising ability as a secondary facilitator and passer.  The duo of Jalen and Clingan gives a more clear success recipe where you have that paint protection and rebounding fairly well covered, plus Clingan's ability to feed guys like Jalen cutting while he is in the high post.  

Supes is hammering the issues created by drafting Sarr and you have to be a believer in Sarr's star upside to dismiss the real concerns.  When I saw that we moved up in the top 4, my immediate excitement was getting Clingan at pick 3 or 4.  Having #1 overall changes your thinking in this draft because you have to consider who is most likely "the" star to come out of this draft.  

Listen here:

They make a good case for Clingan, and I respect them.  They also acknowledge the fact that with Clingan, you limit your PNR defense to drop coverage only, and this puts even more emphasis on getting POA wing defenders whereas Sarr lessens that need with his ability to play multiple PNR schemes.  IMO, Clingan is a guy who you will be happy with for a period of time, and then when the drop coverage gets exploited in the playoffs, you will wish you had a Sarr/Chet/Wemby/Mobley/JJJ type defender at the center spot and not a guy who can only play drop coverage.  

• Like 2