Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

14 hours ago, Sothron said:

As I said in the other thread...you don't take the #1 pick because you want him to be the best player out of his rookie class in just their rookie season. You take whoever you feel with development will be the BEST player out of this class. Sarr playing backup minutes at 4/5 is totally fine. 

He just turned 19. He literally spent his entire age 18 season in one of the most physical leagues in the world in the Aussie league. There's a reason why you've seen NBA front offices draft young kids that proved some chops there. The veterans in that league DGAF about prospects or someone's draft status. They play hard and physical. It is an excellent way to gauge if someone has that dog in them to rise to that level of physical play and still show their talent.

Sarr is young AF at just turning 19. Saying he has to start at NINETEEN is like saying Kobe and KG and TMac and whoever else that young HAD to start to prove their worth to their teams.

100%.  I would even argue that playing in an Australian Pro league is better competition than the NCAA on a game by game basis.  NCAA stats are many times inflated because of cupcake games against teams like Charleston Southern.  In a pro league, all games are against pros and playing against 25-30 year olds that are on average much stronger than college kids.  I also read that many Perth fans wanted the coach to play Sarr more minutes.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He’d be a good fit with Trae.  Cutting, shooting, and defense.  

If they get #5 from Detroit, could we get Clingan there and then you have Risacher, Jalen, and Clingan on the front court.  

Hawks have needs.  Squawk posters all know this.  My biggest fear?  That they mess up this off-season.  So many things can go wrong and some of them are bound to happen.  Seldom, if ever, does everything go just right for any team in the NBA.

When the Hawks were #10 in the draft, if they messed up, so what.  With the #1 pick in hand, the pressure increases a lot.  Mess this up and live with it forever.  Remember, back in 2024 when Atlanta had the #1 pick and what happened!  Shudder!  Yep.  Pressure.

So, do we take the player that most people regard as the #1 pick?  Do we select another player?  Do we swap this pick?  Lots of options out there now that didn't exist when we were at #10.  And, all those trades that may or may not happen.

Please Hawks.  Don't mess this up-!

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'll repeat. The pick is whatever the pick is at #1 or at #10.

What they do with the rest of the roster was and is the biggest elephant in the room

I'm not gotten be happy with them selling me on 'come see our #1 pick' as our big offseason acquisition.

I WANT MORE!!!!!

Agreed!  I just don't want them to mess up anything this off-season.  The pick, the trades, the free agent signings, anything!!

:ahf:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Final_quest said:

He’d be a good fit with Trae.  Cutting, shooting, and defense.  

If they get #5 from Detroit, could we get Clingan there and then you have Risacher, Jalen, and Clingan on the front court.  

Orrrrrr…. We move back up from 5 to get ZR. Sarr and ZR (just having fun)…. We could play a big lineup of Trae/Zac/JJ/Sarr/OO or a smaller lineup of Trae/Bogi/Zac/JJ/Sarr

5 hours ago, Hawkish said:

Orrrrrr…. We move back up from 5 to get ZR. Sarr and ZR (just having fun)…. We could play a big lineup of Trae/Zac/JJ/Sarr/OO or a smaller lineup of Trae/Bogi/Zac/JJ/Sarr

Having said this, Knecht or Clingan are probably the guys I would target with a second top 10 pick.  

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 6:12 PM, AtLaS said:

100%.  I would even argue that playing in an Australian Pro league is better competition than the NCAA on a game by game basis.  NCAA stats are many times inflated because of cupcake games against teams like Charleston Southern.  In a pro league, all games are against pros and playing against 25-30 year olds that are on average much stronger than college kids.  I also read that many Perth fans wanted the coach to play Sarr more minutes.

Stats are deflated in college vs the NBA due to the longer shot clock and no 3 second rule. It is much harder to score in the post and on dribble drives.

Also remember NBA games are 8 minutes longer.

This all leads to the average college game having aboutn70 possessions, NBA game about 100. Given a 50% FG% this inflates NBA scoring and rebounding stats about 30%.

This doesn't mean a player scoring 20 in college scores 26 in the NBA. There is the filter rate where bad players filter out, good player filter in. So many good college players fizzle out.

Edited by thecampster

But using this g-league to pro conversion or euro to pro conversion,  let's sample Jalen Johnson in the g league vs Jalen Johnson in the NBA season 3.

G-League starter. 20.1 ppg, 11.8 rpg, 4.1 apg

NBA starter 2023-24, 16 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 3.6 apg.

This is why you can draw some conclusion about g-league play and why I'm not getting excited by a player who went straight to the g-league and isn't putting up at least 15 ppg.

Now consider this forum thread by NBL fans comparing themselves to the G-League (fans of Perth). They routinely say the G-league is more talented, but they are better drilled. They call the leagues a wash if they played each other.

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/43839-nbl-or-g-league/