Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

On 5/22/2024 at 10:13 PM, terrell said:

Has the #1 pick ever been a backup as a rookie? 

Hawks aren't good enough for that......

If he cant beat out OO/Capela at center he doesn't deserve to be the #1 pick... lol

If that's the case, just draft Risacher and let him replace Dre as the starting 3... 😀

With that said, he'll get PLENTY of min if he were to back up OO, because he might foul out every game playing starters min....... :sad:

I do agree that whomever we take at #1, needs to be starting from the jump.

OO is quickly becoming De'Andre Hunter, with us waiting on him to develop into something more than he is.

You take Sarr, and you roll with a JJ - Sarr - OO frontline, and see how that works out the gate. 

There's no way I want the #1 pick to not play enough minutes to put up ROY type numbers.

Landry, Snyder, and the Hawks as a whole, don't have enough credibility to think they can develop players slowly.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I do agree that whomever we take at #1, needs to be starting from the jump.

OO is quickly becoming De'Andre Hunter, with us waiting on him to develop into something more than he is.

You take Sarr, and you roll with a JJ - Sarr - OO frontline, and see how that works out the gate. 

There's no way I want the #1 pick to not play enough minutes to put up ROY type numbers.

Landry, Snyder, and the Hawks as a whole, don't have enough credibility to think they can develop players slowly.

I look at it like this if for nothing else his elite defense should play pretty much right away and that helps our biggest weakness on the entire team.  So i see no reason not to let him play and learn on the fly on offense with trae or murray depending which is still here helping him find what works best for him. Im also glad you put JJ at the 3 as i think people are really underestimating what he can do.  I feel he will get more shine and the ball in his hands at the 3 than the 4 more often than not to make a bigger impact.

Edited by Threezus
  • Like 3

On 5/23/2024 at 2:13 AM, Sothron said:

As I said in the other thread...you don't take the #1 pick because you want him to be the best player out of his rookie class in just their rookie season. You take whoever you feel with development will be the BEST player out of this class.

Name an instance which this has been the case?

On 5/23/2024 at 11:29 AM, terrell said:

That's fine if Sarr is gonna avg 32 min a game as a rookie like Antman...

But  coming off the bench for the whole season for the #1 pick is crazy to me..

Its not like we're a top team...

I'd move JJ to the 3 and Sarr to the 4 just to start him.. lol

I want this kid to make All NBA rookie team and  rising stars etc..

Sick of watching these games with NO Hawks in sight...

When was the last time we had a player make the rookie team?

Trae?

One of the rare times I 100% agree with you.

Forget some slow development on a team that didn't even make the playoffs.  You toss that kid ( whomever we draft ) into the fire right away.

The real question is when was the last time before Trae, did we have someone make the rookie team?

• John Collins - 2nd team ( 2018 )
  • Al Horford - 1st team ( 2008 )
  • Marvin Williams - 2nd team ( 2006 )
  • Josh Smith - 2nd team ( 2005 )
  • Josh Childress - 2nd team ( 2005 )
  • Jason Terry - 2nd team ( 2000 )
  • Stacey Augmon - 1st team ( 1992 )
  • Dominique Wilkins - 1st team ( 1983 )
  • John Drew - 1st team ( 1975 )
  • John Brown - 1st team ( 1974 )
  • Pete Maravich - 1st team ( 1971 )
  • Zelmo Betty - 1st team ( 1962 ) . . . St Louis Hawks

That's all folks

On 5/23/2024 at 7:50 PM, Jody23 said:

I don't get the knock on his 3 point shot outside of him needing to be a little more consistent with it.  The shot itself looks really good and controlled for any player much less a 7 ft guy.    Are people mad that he is missing like half a short more per 10 3's compared to guys like trae and murray?  35 to 37% from trae and murray  to 30% for saar i can live with from my 7 ft defensive monster.    I'll also say that his looks will be alot more open with Trae and company pulling ppl from him. 

Also back to what i posted in that other post about him starting right away.  I think with Trae and Jalen on the team his offense isn't anywhere needed as much right away.  They can handle most of that while he works on it and provides very good defense.    Other teams he might be required to do alot more on offense right away but here i think that really works in his favor considering how much trae's usage is not making Saar do to much to soon.

• Like 3

On 5/23/2024 at 6:50 PM, Jody23 said:

He shoots the 3 ball with confidence.  His shot looks very fluid.  Quin will encourage him to shoot whenever he is open.  

And you have one of the top facilitating PGs in the league able to get him the ball in opportune scoring position?

Along with JJ as a secondary facilitator?

And DJ, if we keep the team intact, as another facilitator that can get him the ball?

We're going to over think this and not choose him, right?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, KB21 said:

No matter who the rookie is, if you are looking to compete and not lose more games, their role should be limited.  

If you truly believe this, we should trade the #1 pick for guys who we can develop, or for an already established NBA player.

We are not a talented frontline team, outside of JJ's potential.  This the same mindset we had with JJ his rookie year, and it cost the Hawks big time.  JJ is 6 - 12 months behind where he should be, from a developmental standpoint, because we screwed around with him his rookie year.

15 minutes ago, Threezus said:

I don't get the knock on his 3 point shot outside of him needing to be a little more consistent with it.  The shot itself looks really good and controlled for any player much less a 7 ft guy.    Are people mad that he is missing like half a short more per 10 3's compared to guys like trae and murray?  35 to 37% from trae and murray  to 30% for saar i can live with from my 7 ft defensive monster.    I'll also say that his looks will be alot more open with Trae and company pulling ppl from him. 

Also back to what i posted in that other post about him starting right away.  I think with Trae and Jalen on the team his offense isn't anywhere needed as much right away.  They can handle most of that while he works on it and provides very good defense.    Other teams he might be required to do alot more on offense right away but here i think that really works in his favor considering how much trae's usage is not making Saar do to much to soon.

He was also 18 freakin years old this season and already shooting and making threes IN GAMES!  He's also a over a 70+% FT shooter.  Horford didn't even start shooting threes until he went to Boston.  OO just started shooting them.  

To think this guy won't be a shooter is extremely pessimistic.  Sure it's possible he doesn't improve, but VERY unlikely unless he has zero work ethic at all which doesn't seem to be the case.

Edited by AtLaS
  • Like 1

Every day that goes by the more I’m excited about Sarr as the pick. I hope they pick Sarr but I’ll be happy with Risacher or Sheppard… and not surprised by either of those as a pick.

I’ll be disappointed with anyone else.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

1. Atlanta Hawks – PF/C Alexandre Sarr – France (Perth Wildcats – NBL)

NBA Draft prospect Alex Sarr Atlanta hawks top pick

The Hawks have franchise-altering decisions to make, not only involving the first overall pick but also regarding Trae Young, Dejounte Murray, De'Andre Hunter, and Clint Capela. Early indications ahead of the NBA Draft, as well as what rival executives are saying coming out of the draft combine, are that Sarr is still at the forefront of the Hawks' minds. The French big man has the length, physicality, and defensive abilities to make an impact with the Hawks upon being drafted. Although he may not be a double-double-like player, Sarr has those intangible traits and versatility that teams look for in modern-day big guys, hence the reason behind the Hawks decision to make Capela available in trade talks.  A frontcourt containing Sarr, Jalen Johnson, and Onyeka Okongwu may just give the Hawks the most dynamic group of big men in the league. He is the safer pick over Risacher, but the French wing certainly possesses the potential to become the best player in this draft class.

While there are certainly impressive prospects in this draft class, the overall feel coming out of the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago was that this is truly going to be a draft that revolves around potential. Alex Sarr continues to be the overwhelming favorite to be the first overall pick by the Hawks in a variety of NBA mock drafts, but Zaccharie Risacher continues to dazzle overseas.

Sarr, a fellow Frenchman, is still the favorite to be the first pick despite, all of the success Risacher has found in recent weeks. However, Risacher continues to gain ground on Sarr, and the Hawks are weighing all of their options during the pre-draft process. Do not expect a firm decision to be made on who they will be selecting until hours before the draft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

He was also 18 freakin years old this season and already shooting and making threes IN GAMES!  He's also a over a 70+% FT shooter.  Horford didn't even start shooting threes until he went to Boston.  OO just started shooting them.  

To think this guy won't be a shooter is extremely pessimistic.  Sure it's possible he doesn't improve, but VERY unlikely unless he has zero work ethic at all which doesn't seem to be the case.

Agreed on everything you said it sorta don't make sense to thing he won't improve over what he can already do.  I'll give a good example of a player that was drafted #1 overall as a big with upside like him. But was honestly worse in college across the board numbers wise. 

Lets compare our boy KAT who i quite like as a player and would love next to Saar in college compared to Saar in Perth. 

Kat  6-11 248 
21.1 minutes 10.3 ppg   6.7 RPG   1.1 assists   2.3 blocks  0.5 steals   with %'s of   .577% from 2 and .250% from 3  81.3% FT   
1.4 tov  2.9 fouls   with avg or so defense

Per 40 KAT
40 minutes   19.5 PPG  12.7 RPG  2.1 assists  4.3 blocks  0.9 steals  Sames %'s    2.6 tov's  5.6 fouls

Saar
17 min  9.2 ppg  4.4 rebounds 0.9 assists   1.3 blocks  0.5 steals  then %'s of   71% FT   60.5%  from 2  and 30% from 3
1.1 TO and 1.4 fouls

The per 36 on that is
36 min  20.3 ppg  9.2 rebounds  1.8 assists  2.8 blocks  1 steal    same %'s    2.3 TO  and 2.9 foul

Kat was for sure a bigger boy body wise coming out but didn't have nor does he now have the defensive capabilties of Sarr who will only get better on defense as he gets bigger and stronger in the nba as he puts on a little more grown man weight. 

But KAT who is probably the greatest 3 point shooting big of all time wasn't some god tier 3 guy coming out and was worse than sarr lol.    Now i honestly don't think Sarr will ever reach KATS 3 point game although good lord would that be something special if he even came close O.o     But for a 7 ft+  guy i think his 3 point game will be better than avg compared to most bigs in the game. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If you truly believe this, we should trade the #1 pick for guys who we can develop, or for an already established NBA player.

We are not a talented frontline team, outside of JJ's potential.  This the same mindset we had with JJ his rookie year, and it cost the Hawks big time.  JJ is 6 - 12 months behind where he should be, from a developmental standpoint, because we screwed around with him his rookie year.

No.  This isn’t a situation where you have to draft a guy that will make you an immediate contender.  You have to draft the guy who offers the most long term potential and growth.  Otherwise, you take Clingan, give him 20 mpg and regret not getting the switchable big 3 years from now.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Paul George comps Sarr's game to Giannis' in certain ways.  Just sayin'.  Worth a listen.

Sarr was really good in this... Thanks for sharing.

Also... man if we could have Sarr, JJ, PG and Trae.. wow

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

I don’t think we need to worry about our hawks passing up on Sarr.

Sarr will be the 1st pick. He has too much potential to not be our pick and hawks aren’t going to mess that up

I think the issue or better topics are below…

- will we make a move to get back in the top 8 or not after drafting Sarr?

- we will obviously enjoy a front court of Jalen, OO, Sarr (even the media is starting to pickup on this good potential defense falling in the hawks laps)…but we still need a big body center and bigger defensive 2 guard. I’m starting to believe that we may play Hunter at the 2. I wouldn’t rule it out, after all the insiders said that Ingram is being viewed as a 2. Clear indications is that the goal is to get bigger and more physical this offseason.

If healthy, Hunter could hold down the 2 position. Plus Hunter, Jalen, Sarr, OO gives you crazy switch ability.