• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, marco102 said:

Not sure if this was posted, sorry if it was, but pretty good breakdown.

Thanks for sharing.  This was a really good breakdown.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JTB said:

I don’t think we need to worry about our hawks passing up on Sarr.

Sarr will be the 1st pick. He has too much potential to not be our pick and hawks aren’t going to mess that up

I think the issue or better topics are below…

- will we make a move to get back in the top 8 or not after drafting Sarr?

- we will obviously enjoy a front court of Jalen, OO, Sarr (even the media is starting to pickup on this good potential defense falling in the hawks laps)…but we still need a big body center and bigger defensive 2 guard. I’m starting to believe that we may play Hunter at the 2. I wouldn’t rule it out, after all the insiders said that Ingram is being viewed as a 2. Clear indications is that the goal is to get bigger and more physical this offseason.

If healthy, Hunter could hold down the 2 position. Plus Hunter, Jalen, Sarr, OO gives you crazy switch ability.

Then buy a second round pick to get a big bodied center.  

We all knew that Sarr had already played professionally as a basketball player.  Watching one of the videos in this topic, I* found out that this started at age 14!  Being a youngster at age 21, he has been in the pros for quite some time now!  WOW!

Rather than telling me why he should be our pick at #1, please try and explain to me, why not?  To me, he has the "it" factor.

😍

• Like 2

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

isn't it really Sarr or Risacher for us?

It seems that way.  Honestly, this isn't a layup decision for the Hawks and doing due diligence is the right thing.  I can see the appeal of Risacher even though I like Sarr more.  But, I was WAY wrong about Luka even though I liked Trae more for the majority of that draft cycle.  So, time will tell.  I just hope they pick the best player longterm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

It seems that way.  Honestly, this isn't a layup decision for the Hawks and doing due diligence is the right thing.  I can see the appeal of Risacher even though I like Sarr more.

I will add that if the Hawks were able to get another pick in the top 10, I'd be going after Risacher or Salaun to pair with Sarr.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I will add that if the Hawks were able to get another pick in the top 10, I'd be going after Risacher or Salaun to pair with Sarr.  

Interesting idea if the board breaks a certain way and the opportunity is there.  But, I think the Hawks are more likely to go veteran hunting outside of who they add with first pick since they really want to win next season.

I hope the Hawks really just want Sarr and are using any Risacher noise to drum up hype on him for Washington. Maybe they can bait them into really, really wanting French Vanilla and we fake that we are going to take him to get them to trade an additional asset to us so they are guaranteed to get their man. 
Convoluted, sure, but you never know what the Wizards are “capable” of doing. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I hope the Hawks really just want Sarr and are using any Risacher noise to drum up hype on him for Washington. Maybe they can bait them into really, really wanting French Vanilla and we fake that we are going to take him to get them to trade an additional asset to us so they are guaranteed to get their man. 

Risky business — I’m all for turning four nickels into a quarter.

Edited by Hawkish
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I think the Wizards may have Sarr at the top of their board.

For those wanting to limit the defense you play to drop coverage against the PNR.  This is what Clingan will give you.  Even if he's Rudy Gobert defensively, he's going to be a liability in the playoffs.  You HAVE TO HAVE switchable bigs.  

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

For those wanting to limit the defense you play to drop coverage against the PNR.  This is what Clingan will give you.  Even if he's Rudy Gobert defensively, he's going to be a liability in the playoffs.  You HAVE TO HAVE switchable bigs.  

Rudy is an excellent defender and I hate when people use a SSS of bad matchups to discredit how impactful his defense is.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Rudy is an excellent defender and I hate when people use a SSS of bad matchups to discredit how impactful his defense is.  

We have years of evidence that supports the fact that Gobert's drop coverage is solid for the regular season but gets exposed during the post season.  Quin knows this firsthand with how his defense would get exposed in the playoffs with Utah.  It's why I don't think you will ever see him go with just a drop heavy scheme again.  

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Some of these things are matchups and certain guys will do better than others in those matchups including drop bigs struggling more in some matchups than others.  But the "modern" big prototypes are hardly immune to getting outplayed themselves.  JJJ has finished a playoff game with a +/- better than +1 only 7 times in 23 games and owns a sub 40% fg% and ugly .471 efg% in the post-season (that is fine for a guard, not a big man and is down roughly 50 points from his regular season average). 

When facing Utah with Gobert, the Jazz won the series and JJJ was a -38 compared to a +59 finish for Gobert in the same series. 

Last year, JJJ got worked over by AD with AD at +69 versus JJJ's -37.

So I agree that there are ways to attack a less mobile big but I would say there are also clearly ways to attack a mobile one as well.  That kind of strategy is what the NBA playoffs are all about.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Jody23 said:

I think the Wizards may have Sarr at the top of their board.

I would expect them to, but who knows. I don’t think it would take as intense of a Jedi mind trick to get them to blink as it would most other teams. 

1 hour ago, Hawkish said:

Risky business — I’m all for turning four nickels into a quarter.

Of course there would need to be a contract written saying STTE of, “Hawks will draft Risacher at number one on behalf of the Wizards and in exchange the wizards will draft Sarr on behalf of the Hawks, and will give the Hawks another draft pick.” 

So no real risk.
I’ll admit it’s unlikely though, but I hope that’s the only thing going on in Korvfield’s mind as word leaks out of their interest in Risacher. 

• Premium Member

1. Atlanta: Alex Sarr

1964870105.jpeg?w=1000

Kelly Defina/Getty Images

(Perth Wildcats: Center, International, 7-1)

Previous rank: 1 (-) / Best rank: 1 / Worst rank: 2

"Alex Sarr was nearly the unanimous No. 1 overall pick in the HoopsHype aggregate mock draft, with only Bleacher Report predicting the Atlanta Hawks would take Zaccharie Risacher.

The 7-foot-1 Frenchman intrigues NBA executives with his athleticism as a shot blocker and switchable defender, the coordination to push the ball in transition, and can draw enough attention as a shooter to spread the floor beyond the arc as he works to become a more consistent threat.

Sarr believes he’s the best player in the draft and publicly made it clear he wants to be the No. 1 pick.

“I want to be first in everything,” Sarr said. “I don’t know if it’s that important because I can’t control it, but of course it means something.”

With less than a month to go before the draft, Atlanta is working through all possible scenarios, including selecting Sarr or Risacher, whom the Hawks immediately flew overseas to watch after the lottery with general manager Landry Fields, assistant general manager Kyle Korver, and head coach Quin Snyder on hand.

Following the combine and pro day events for several agencies, there remains a belief around the league that Atlanta will break up the backcourt pairing of Trae Young and Dejounte Murray. Several executives who spoke with HoopsHype say they value Murray over Young due to his contract length and average annual salary.

Should the Hawks select Sarr, center Clint Capela – who will be in the final year of his contract worth $22.27 million – is expected to be discussed in trade talks. Hawks forward De’Andre Hunter was another name rival executives expected to become available for Atlanta as the draft nears"

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I would expect them to, but who knows. I don’t think it would take as intense of a Jedi mind trick to get them to blink as it would most other teams. 

Of course there would need to be a contract written saying STTE of, “Hawks will draft Risacher at number one on behalf of the Wizards and in exchange the wizards will draft Sarr on behalf of the Hawks, and will give the Hawks another draft pick.” 

So no real risk.
I’ll admit it’s unlikely though, but I hope that’s the only thing going on in Korvfield’s mind as word leaks out of their interest in Risacher. 

Ideal