• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

45 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

1. Atlanta: Alex Sarr

1964870105.jpeg?w=1000

Kelly Defina/Getty Images

(Perth Wildcats: Center, International, 7-1)

Previous rank: 1 (-) / Best rank: 1 / Worst rank: 2

"Alex Sarr was nearly the unanimous No. 1 overall pick in the HoopsHype aggregate mock draft, with only Bleacher Report predicting the Atlanta Hawks would take Zaccharie Risacher.

The 7-foot-1 Frenchman intrigues NBA executives with his athleticism as a shot blocker and switchable defender, the coordination to push the ball in transition, and can draw enough attention as a shooter to spread the floor beyond the arc as he works to become a more consistent threat.

Sarr believes he’s the best player in the draft and publicly made it clear he wants to be the No. 1 pick.

“I want to be first in everything,” Sarr said. “I don’t know if it’s that important because I can’t control it, but of course it means something.”

With less than a month to go before the draft, Atlanta is working through all possible scenarios, including selecting Sarr or Risacher, whom the Hawks immediately flew overseas to watch after the lottery with general manager Landry Fields, assistant general manager Kyle Korver, and head coach Quin Snyder on hand.

Following the combine and pro day events for several agencies, there remains a belief around the league that Atlanta will break up the backcourt pairing of Trae Young and Dejounte Murray. Several executives who spoke with HoopsHype say they value Murray over Young due to his contract length and average annual salary.

Should the Hawks select Sarr, center Clint Capela – who will be in the final year of his contract worth $22.27 million – is expected to be discussed in trade talks. Hawks forward De’Andre Hunter was another name rival executives expected to become available for Atlanta as the draft nears"

Anyone know if Clint is from the French speaking part of Switzerland or the German speaking part? I suspect French. 
He could potentially help Sarr ease into place in the NBA if we keep him around for the final year of his contract. 

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Of course there would need to be a contract written saying STTE of, “Hawks will draft Risacher at number one on behalf of the Wizards and in exchange the wizards will draft Sarr on behalf of the Hawks, and will give the Hawks another draft pick.” 

So no real risk.
I’ll admit it’s unlikely though, but I hope that’s the only thing going on in Korvfield’s mind as word leaks out of their interest in Risacher. 

Yeah, that is how these things work.  The trade gets announced, the player is selected by Atlanta for the trade partner, and then Atlanta makes their new pick.  The guys usually have to awkwardly wear the hat of the team that on paper drafted them for a few minutes before the trade is finalized with the NBA front office and they get to put the new hat on.  This should mean that we know exactly who they are picking before the trade is made and so the only reason they would trade is if they prefer one player by enough (Dallas thinks giving up a lottery protected pick is worth moving up for Luka) and we convince them that we are going to pick that player.  The difference here between most scenarios is that the picks are back to back.  That still happens, though, like with Stephon Marbury and Ray Allen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This kids offensive game next to Trae would hit it off instantly. He’s a better offensive fit next to Trae then Sarr.

2 hours ago, AtLaS said:

Risacher is talented and I like him a lot.  Just not as much as Sarr.  🙂

I like Sarr in Atlanta better because we need defense badly and  it’s not going to make sense to pass up a 7 footer who can move his feet this well 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AtLaS said:

Risacher is talented and I like him a lot.  Just not as much as Sarr.  🙂

We don’t know how Landry and Kyle see it so that will be tbd.

they obviously need the better defender but will they do the smart thing or just get distracted by flash

• Premium Member

If you get Risacher playing good defense, he has elite role player skills.  That shot is incredible, tough to teach that release and impossible to teach that height.  I would not be upset if we drafted him.

JS

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

If you get Risacher playing good defense, he has elite role player skills.  That shot is incredible, tough to teach that release and impossible to teach that height.  I would not be upset if we drafted him.

JS

Yeah I"m starting to go Risacher.  I hate taking big men in the top 3.  Horford was a great pick but he was great at everything except posting up and that went the way of the dodo bird. 

At #1 i want someone that can be an elite scorer.   We need an elite scorer at SF and we need one with great size.   

If the likely ceilings of these guys is Mikal Bridges vs. Evan Mobley then i'm going with Bridges all day.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah I"m starting to go Risacher.  I hate taking big men in the top 3.  Horford was a great pick but he was great at everything except posting up and that went the way of the dodo bird. 

At #1 i want someone that can be an elite scorer.   We need an elite scorer at SF and we need one with great size.   

If the likely ceilings of these guys is Mikal Bridges vs. Evan Mobley then i'm going with Bridges all day.  

Sarr ceiling has got to be higher than Evan Mobley, just a question of if he gets there.  Risacher feels more like MPJ than Mikal but I admit I haven't watched a ton of film on him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Final_quest said:

I think they are doing the right thing by evaluating multiple players, and not telegraphing who they will pick.  

Yes. But if they don't pick Sarr they screwed up

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Sarr ceiling has got to be higher than Evan Mobley, just a question of if he gets there.  Risacher feels more like MPJ than Mikal but I admit I haven't watched a ton of film on him

I think if Evan Mobley was in this draft (and I am am talking Evan Mobley the prospect coming out of USC) he would be the clear cut number 1 pick and it would not be particularly close - and that is not to say Mobley was a generational talent like Wemby, just that he would be the easy best prospect in this draft.  

• Like 2