• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Packfill said:

I think if Evan Mobley was in this draft (and I am am talking Evan Mobley the prospect coming out of USC) he would be the clear cut number 1 pick and it would not be particularly close - and that is not to say Mobley was a generational talent like Wemby, just that he would be the easy best prospect in this draft.  

That's a little depressing to me.  And I really like Mobley but when i dreamed of the Hawks getting a #1 it wasn't to pick someone like that.  That's why i'm high on Risacher without having any real knowledge or insight into either guy.   

Of the all the top picks for the last few years none of the best picks were bigs unless they had elite offensive skills like Paolo.  A lot of the misses were bigs like Wiseman, Bagley, Ayton, 

There is Chet.  If Sarr can be Chet+ then sign me up i guess.

I'm just asking not making a case for anyone because i don't know.  I'm just ready for us to have a dynamic scorer at the 3,4 or 5. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I don't know which guy will be better between Risacher and Sarr.  Up to Fields and co. to get that right.  From the limited tape I've watched from them, Sarr strikes me as the higher upside guy but also the guy who has farther to go to reach his ceiling.  Either way, once they put on that Hawks jersey I'll be rooting for them regardless of who my personal favorite it.  So I'm not going to be bitter at the player at all.  Trae wasn't the guy on the top of my board but I've rooted hard for him every since he was drafted just like all our other Hawks!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

That's a little depressing to me.  And I really like Mobley but when i dreamed of the Hawks getting a #1 it wasn't to pick someone like that.  That's why i'm high on Risacher without having any real knowledge or insight into either guy.   

Of the all the top picks for the last few years none of the best picks were bigs unless they had elite offensive skills like Paolo.  A lot of the misses were bigs like Wiseman, Bagley, Ayton, 

There is Chet.  If Sarr can be Chet+ then sign me up i guess.

I'm just asking not making a case for anyone because i don't know.  I'm just ready for us to have a dynamic scorer at the 3,4 or 5. 

I think Evan Mobley is a great #1 overall pick outcome.  The guy finished third in DPOY voting during his second season and was arguably one of the best defenders in the NBA this year.  He finally started coming alive in the playoffs, particularly with Allen out for a big part of them.  The Allen/Mobley pairing is a terrible fitting pairing.  

• Like 4

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I think Evan Mobley is a great #1 overall pick outcome.  The guy finished third in DPOY voting during his second season and was arguably one of the best defenders in the NBA this year.  He finally started coming alive in the playoffs, particularly with Allen out for a big part of them.  The Allen/Mobley pairing is a terrible fitting pairing.  

Yeah.  I guess i'm unrealistic but even though he played well and i get he's a key player for the Cavs i can't see him being more than the 3rd best player on a contender.  I just want more from #1 overall.  But i'm greedy. 

2 hours ago, Jody23 said:

Watching more of Sarr, how he handles physicality will be something to watch.  He doesn't seem to seek that out.

He'd fit right in here then... 😀

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jody23 said:

Watching more of Sarr, how he handles physicality will be something to watch.  He doesn't seem to seek that out.

Exactly why we have to address the center issue no matter if we draft Sarr or not because he lacks physicality at this stage of his early career.

He can play the 5 vs other mobile 5s like Lively in my opinion but he’s going to get tossed around like a rag doll vs almost any center who’s just bigger in size even if they lack skills such as Zubiac.

its smart to draft Sarr, it’s not smart to draft him and expect him to man down the 5 …immediately.

8 minutes ago, JTB said:

Exactly why we have to address the center issue no matter if we draft Sarr or not because he lacks physicality at this stage of his early career.

He can play the 5 vs other mobile 5s like Lively in my opinion but he’s going to get tossed around like a rag doll vs almost any center who’s just bigger in size even if they lack skills such as Zubiac.

its smart to draft Sarr, it’s not smart to draft him and expect him to man down the 5 …immediately.

It’s not smart to think any drafted rookie can man any position immediately.  

13 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

He was 18 years old.  Playing against 25-30 year olds.  Wait until he adds 25 pounds.  He was listed at 216 lbs at Perth last year, and he weighed in at 224 at the combine.  He's put on 8 lbs in less than a year.  In 2 years this dude will be 240+.  By all accounts the dude is a gym rat and wants it, with the natural talent he has there is no ceiling here.

The perception of his physicality would be different if he had played this past season in college as opposed to the NBL.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

It’s not smart to think any drafted rookie can man any position immediately.  

In certain roles a rookie can hold down a position. It’s all in what you ask of them.

once we draft sarr, Synder and his staff should be telling him his primary focus this season will be defense. Not to say don’t work on the offensive skills (let’s not be silly)…but we don’t need to scheme around sarrs offense right now.

defensively sarr can help us immediately. This is no different than lively for the mavs or Chet for okc…or mobleys rookie season for the Cavs,