• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

4 hours ago, Packfill said:

Sarr has considerable upside but he is not the type of guy you dream about being able to get when you have the number 1 pick.  He is not Wemby, Shaq, Lebron, etc.  That is okay - obviously there isn't anyone like that in this draft - but let's be honest about the opportunity here.  

And please do not do a Falcons style pick!  Sarr, to be clear, would not be a Penix like pick at all.  

In this draft, there is no clear cut one besides Sarr and Risacher. I've not seen one person put him in the Wemby conversation or the like. For THIS draft, he is who I dream of being a Hawk.  That's not really difficult to get I think.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AHF said:

Sarr is also the guy I want.  I just don't think he is the parallel to what the Falcons did.  (And in defense of the Falcons I'll also say that QB is a different position than any position in the NBA as far as importance to the franchise.)

About that..the analogy is just that they chose who they wanted, not who the media wanted.  I'm hoping upon hope that Sarr is the pick.  Nothing more. (I loved the Falcons pick...I digress).

1 hour ago, AHF said:

On a per minute basis his production was very strong in Australia but he couldn't earn the minutes to make it add up.  I would guess we see an unusually low number of total minutes for Sarr as a rookie.  Probably among the lowest ever for players taken at #1 overall.

Perth knew he was a one and done, he joined an established team and still carved out a role and put up solid numbers at age 18.  

Regarding low minutes, it's possible.  Historically the #1 pick has gone to one of the worst teams in the NBA, thus generally the team has loads of playing time available. 

However if we trade Capela, Sarr will easily be able to carve out 20+ minutes IMO.  It will likely start low early in the season and he will gain minutes throughout the year.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

Historically the #1 pick has gone to one of the worst teams in the NBA, thus generally the team has loads of playing time available. 

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AtLaS said:

Regarding low minutes, it's possible.  Historically the #1 pick has gone to one of the worst teams in the NBA, thus generally the team has loads of playing time available. 

However if we trade Capela, Sarr will easily be able to carve out 20+ minutes IMO.  It will likely start low early in the season and he will gain minutes throughout the year.

Right.  The Cavs won 22 games the season before he joined.  This is why he is very unlikely to repeat what Mobley did as a rookie. 

We'll see if Capela gets moved or not.  I'm not saying it is impossible that Sarr could end up with 20+ minutes (which would be 2/3 of what Mobley had and thus not be close for per game numbers assuming identical per minute production) but it is hardly guaranteed.  I put it in the TBD column.  

I agree he is likely to start low and get more as the season progresses which I think will lead to a very low minutes played total by the end of the year relative to past top picks.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, deester11 said:

About that..the analogy is just that they chose who they wanted, not who the media wanted.  I'm hoping upon hope that Sarr is the pick.  Nothing more. (I loved the Falcons pick...I digress).

I think the media is pushing Sarr more than anyone else.  I just hope the Hawks get it right.  I don't want them to pick "their guy" if he isn't the right pick.  I'd rather they stumble *** backwards into the best player if that is what it takes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AHF said:

I think the media is pushing Sarr more than anyone else.  I just hope the Hawks get it right.  I don't want them to pick "their guy" if he isn't the right pick.  I'd rather they stumble *** backwards into the best player if that is what it takes.

The Hawks..hmmm.  Just don't have faith in the FO.  I think Sarr is the right pick regardless of the media.

26 minutes ago, deester11 said:

The Hawks..hmmm.  Just don't have faith in the FO.  I think Sarr is the right pick regardless of the media.

Watching this wolves vs mavs game…we really just need to get the best fit player . 

11 minutes ago, JTB said:

Watching this wolves vs mavs game…we really just need to get the best fit player . 

So are you saying Sarr doesn't fit? Or that Risacher is the best fit? Drafting for fit or need is how the Hawks have done it in the past.  They've gotten serviceable players to a degree...but the Hawks got a gift they weren't expecting. Sarr fits and has the highest upside. Risacher is the safer of the two.  That's probably why he'll be a Hawk 

• Sad 1

This wolves defense got exposed badly. Got me thinking that we shouldn’t defense heavy if we get two picks in the top 10z

if you take Sarr you must get an offense talent ..I prefer Edey.

if you get Risacher you must get a defensive talent 

going heavy defense can backfire really bad.

5 minutes ago, deester11 said:

So are you saying Sarr doesn't fit? Or that Risacher is the best fit? Drafting for fit or need is how the Hawks have done it in the past.  They've gotten serviceable players to a degree...but the Hawks got a gift they weren't expecting. Sarr fits and has the highest upside. Risacher is the safer of the two.  That's probably why he'll be a Hawk 

I’m saying I’m nervous to trade Murray and not have another go to scorer now. We all know Sarrs offense is two or maybe even 3 years away but we need Sarrs defense.

you can’t trade Murray for another defender. At first I was saying Sarr and Clingan would be great but we could have a tremendous amount of offensive issues doing that. Trae is great but that’s a lot to overcome.

i want Sarr and Edey. If we can’t get that I would revisit trading Murray for Ingram and just being happy with Sarr and Ingram . We’d probably need to keep Capela in that scenario.

37 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Most of your nba championship level teams also played great defense.  Top 10 Offense and defense.  Can't skimp on either.

If we were to get Sarr + Clingan (somehow) we’d be relying heavily on Trae, Bogi, Jalen offense unit. That’s probably not enough to truly be elite in the playoffs.

Clingan could still be worth it because like Lively he just looks to make the right offensive play unlike Gobert.

1 hour ago, JTB said:

This wolves defense got exposed badly. Got me thinking that we shouldn’t defense heavy if we get two picks in the top 10z

if you take Sarr you must get an offense talent ..I prefer Edey.

if you get Risacher you must get a defensive talent 

going heavy defense can backfire really bad.

If anything, this series should show you why you absolutely should not draft Edey at all, much less that high.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
Just now, KB21 said:

Bottom line.  You can’t be limited to drop coverage only vs the PNR in the playoffs.  You have to be able to be versatile on defense.  

Dallas got lucky to face Minnesota instead of Denver.  The Wolves match up really well with the Nuggets but not with the Mavs.  Mavs match up well with the TWolves but not with Denver.  Good bracket for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1