• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

• Moderators
7 hours ago, KB21 said:

Here’s the other thing with taking Clingan that high.  If your basis on doing is to keep Trae happy, then you are likely going to lose him in 2 years anyway after taking Clingan.  Because now you are limited at center to drop only defense.  That scheme will get exposed in the playoffs like it does every year.  We aren’t good enough defensively on the perimeter to be a drop only defense.  So now, in two years you have this limited drop only big whose offensive value is 100% derived from Trae Young, and you have no Trae Young.  

I’m not excited about Clingan but I don’t follow your logic.  You have been blasting from the rooftops that OO is a great modern big who will start next year.  How are we limited to drop only defense with OO on the roster?  Wouldn’t that give us two different looks that you could emphasize depending on the matchup?

30 minutes ago, AHF said:

I’m not excited about Clingan but I don’t follow your logic.  You have been blasting from the rooftops that OO is a great modern big who will start next year.  How are we limited to drop only defense with OO on the roster?  Wouldn’t that give us two different looks that you could emphasize depending on the matchup?

If they are dumb enough to draft Clingan #1, then they are probably dumb enough to trade OO in the package to get Ingram.  

• Like 1

Now we're moving to Clingan at one? What the entire hell! Speculation..azzhat talk...made up, whatever you call it, Clingan at 1 is tragic. I've resigned myself to the team's love affair with Risacher and that's caused an uptick in my consumption of booze. Just damn! Don't do this Hawks..IMG_8580.gif.f4f83883a91d97f3b79e00653929d91e.gif

• Haha 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, KB21 said:

If they are dumb enough to draft Clingan #1, then they are probably dumb enough to trade OO in the package to get Ingram.  

So to you the logical move is that if you decide to trade OO then you keep CC and have two centers who do the same thing instead of two who give you varying and complimentary skills?

2 hours ago, AHF said:

So to you the logical move is that if you decide to trade OO then you keep CC and have two centers who do the same thing instead of two who give you varying and complimentary skills?

No.  To me, the logical move is to draft Sarr and keep OO.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

"At this point, it is looking more and more likely that Sarr and Risacher will be the first two players off the board when the 2024 NBA Draft begins on June 26. Whichever player the Hawks don't decide to select first overall, the Washington Wizards will be more than happy to accept them with the second overall pick. While there is always the possibility of trades being made, Atlanta and Washington appear to be happy with the spots they are in.

This circles back to the whole debate of Sarr vs. Risacher for the first overall pick.

The best thing about Sarr is he's a stretch big man who is a threat from anywhere on the court offensively. He can even put the ball on the floor and get to his spots, which is a rare trait to find in big men. With the Perth Wildcats in the NBL this past season, Sarr provided high-quality floor spacing and wasn't afraid to do the dirty work in order to help his team win. The Hawks are expected to shop Clint Capela this offseason, leading to the assumption that Sarr is who they currently have at the top of their draft board

Even though Sarr may currently occupy the Hawks' top spot, Risacher is not far behind. In fact, there are several organizations around the league that have Risacher ranked higher than Sarr at this point in the pre-draft process. The belief that the French wing is a better overall talent than the French big man has only grown with Risacher's recent performances in the postseason for JL Bourg. Not only is he shooting well from the perimeter, but Risacher is rebounding and scoring in the paint. This is why many have compared him to Michael Porter Jr. and a young Khris Middleton.

There is a lot to like about both Sarr and Risacher. Both players would be able to make an immediate impact for the Hawks, and the two French prospects should become focal building blocks for their new NBA franchises upon being drafted. In regards to the latest NBA Draft Big Board 3.0, Risacher is the one who has taken over the top spot. His recent performances are hard to overlook, and there is certainly more upside presented to teams for a 6'10” wing than a mobile big man nowadays.

Still, Sarr is likely to be the first player taken by the Hawks in just about three weeks."

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

7'-1" and 6'-10" at 13 years old???

Lol.  I may be wrong, but I don't think Risacher is 6'10.  I'm guessing he is closer to 6'8.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Hawks seem to be leaning to trying to come out of the draft with Risacher and Clingan. Sarr very much still in play at #1. Feeling I'm getting, this is me reading tea leaves from sources intel, is if they don't think they can get both Risacher and Clingan the play it safe move is to just take Sarr at #1 and call it.

Thanks, Soth.  I just don't see this as being the right approach and they'll have to trade one of the guards (Trae or Murray) to make it happen.

31 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Hawks seem to be leaning to trying to come out of the draft with Risacher and Clingan.

Hawks completely overthinking and making something more difficult than it needs to be...sounds about right -

Hawking typical.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

The more I look into Risacher the less I like him.  I prefer Sarr, Clingan or Edey over him.  

Risacher isn't even confirmed to be 6'10", he's listed at 6'8", and doesn't do anything really well other than having a good 3pt%.  He is a bad FT shooter which is extremely uncommon for a good 3pt shooter (can someone find an example?), he's not an assist guy, not a creator, average rebounder, and he's skinny.  So he's going to have to bulk up and improve on a ton of things.  His potential looks like a 3/D guy if he pans out.  Why not just take Sarr in that case?  Sarr has WAY better upside and will be a major disruption on defense and rimrunner from day 1.  

It sounds like they're doing way too much unnecessarily.  It just smells like Ressler wants Clingan but can't sell taking him at 1.

6 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

It sounds like they're doing way too much unnecessarily.  It just smells like Ressler wants Clingan but can't sell taking him at 1.

I'm certain we will screw this up.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Sad 2