• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

No.  To me, the logical move is to draft Sarr and keep OO.  

As of today, you and I are in agreement that this makes sense (in the absence of some windfall trade opportunity).

Let me suggest evaluating scenarios where the Hawks draft Clingan and do keep OO so you are at least not ignoring the most common view among Clingan advocates or at least address each of the scenarios where the Hawks keep or trade away OO and/or CC.  Most fans aren't advocating to get rid of OO including fans of the idea of drafting Sarr or Clingan.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

I'm certain we will screw this up.  I hope I'm wrong.

I feel the same.  I hope I'm wrong too.  We've endured so much pain with this franchise.

• Premium Member

Pain.  Just...pain 😢.  The Hawks likely win a title with CP3, JJ, Smith, and Horford imo.  Another top guy probably signs on to play with them.  These decisions MATTER.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

The more I look into Risacher the less I like him.  I prefer Sarr, Clingan or Edey over him.  

Risacher isn't even confirmed to be 6'10", he's listed at 6'8", and doesn't do anything really well other than having a good 3pt%.  He is a bad FT shooter which is extremely uncommon for a good 3pt shooter (can someone find an example?), he's not an assist guy, not a creator, average rebounder, and he's skinny.  So he's going to have to bulk up and improve on a ton of things.  His potential looks like a 3/D guy if he pans out.  Why not just take Sarr in that case?  Sarr has WAY better upside and will be a major disruption on defense and rimrunner from day 1.  

He's at least 6'9" and probably 6'10". There's no official measurements for him. Plus, he's only 19 so there's a real chance he grows at least another inch. 

He has a high basketball IQ and feel for the game. He can defend multiple positions. He can shoot. Quin wants players at all five positions if he can that can make quick, smart decisions and look for the best pass or shot. Risacher does this. So does Clingan. 

I know this isn't the popular opinion but if we walked out of draft night with Risacher and Clingan I would be happy. If we walk out with just Sarr I will be happy. We were supposed to have the 10th pick in the draft. Anything we do draft wise is basically playing with house money at this point.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Pain.  Just...pain 😢.  The Hawks likely win a title with CP3, JJ, Smith, and Horford imo.  Another top guy probably signs on to play with them.  These decisions MATTER.

I wanted Chris Paul so bad...  I even wrote a letter to the Hawks front office pleading with them to consider him lol
I was so angry.  Man, I am SO tired of us screwing up the draft.  Please not again....

• Sad 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Sothron said:

He's at least 6'9" and probably 6'10". There's no official measurements for him. Plus, he's only 19 so there's a real chance he grows at least another inch. 

He has a high basketball IQ and feel for the game. He can defend multiple positions. He can shoot. Quin wants players at all five positions if he can that can make quick, smart decisions and look for the best pass or shot. Risacher does this. So does Clingan. 

I know this isn't the popular opinion but if we walked out of draft night with Risacher and Clingan I would be happy. If we walk out with just Sarr I will be happy. We were supposed to have the 10th pick in the draft. Anything we do draft wise is basically playing with house money at this point.

I would view the pick at #1, the pick with the other high lottery pick we potentially acquire, and the likely trade of DJM or Trae (which I'm assuming is how we get the second high lottery pick where that scenario materializes) as separate decisions to evaluate.  

At #1 did we pick the best option?

With the trade, how good was the return we got for Murray or Trae? 

Then did we make the right pick with the 2024 lottery pick we acquired in said trade?

We could grade nicely with some of these but not others.

Example:

If the 2007 NBA draft took place and the Hawks traded Joe Johnson for the #8 or #9 pick I would then rate them as:

Hawks draft pick at #3 = Al Horford.  Grade:  A+  (picked the best player on the board)

Hawks trade 25 year old All-Star Joe Johnson for the #8 or #9 pick:  D-  (did not get acceptable value in return for Joe)

Hawks draft pick at #8 = Brandon Wright:  D (you passed on Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah, Jeff Green, Thaddeus Young, and numerous other better players) 

Hawks draft pick at #9 = Joakim Noah:  A (while not the absolute best possible pick, he would have been one of the best guys on the board possible and known chemistry plus guy to pair with Horford) 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sothron said:

If we were still at 10, there would be about 10 guys I could have talked myself into..😀

At #1, not so much..

This decision is much tougher.........

We just cant afford to fk this up.....................

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AtLaS said:

Risacher isn't even confirmed to be 6'10", he's listed at 6'8",  

42 minutes ago, Sothron said:

He's at least 6'9" and probably 6'10". There's no official measurements for him.

We will know his exact height by tomorrow. Combine Europe starts tomorrow.

• Like 1

Now maybe you could get somebody and Edey realistically.  Because I'm not so sure Edey is less valuable than Clingan.  Head to head Edey showed out, and in the combine it is obvious Edey has been working HARD to get the numbers he got.

Remember how people goofed on Edey's sprint?  I want you to realize that Clingan was slower than that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, txsting said:

How they think they are going to get Risacher AND Clingan?  You could sign me up for that, but no way we can get that done without Trae or DJM being involved.

Well we already knew one of those guys would probably get traded so.......Its possible...

2 hours ago, Sothron said:

Hawks seem to be leaning to trying to come out of the draft with Risacher and Clingan. Sarr very much still in play at #1. Feeling I'm getting, this is me reading tea leaves from sources intel, is if they don't think they can get both Risacher and Clingan the play it safe move is to just take Sarr at #1 and call it.

So, essentially, Ressler is leaning on his front office to get Clingan.  They prefer Sarr, but to satisfy Ressler, they will trade down and take Risacher and Clingan if the opportunity presents itself.  We are so f***ed with Ressler as the owner.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, essentially, Ressler is leaning on his front office to get Clingan.  They prefer Sarr, but to satisfy Ressler, they will trade down and take Risacher and Clingan if the opportunity presents itself.  We are so f***ed with Ressler as the owner.

"rookie contract" Ressler

Yeah i'm getting close to being Sarr or bust at this point. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Wretch said:

I wanted Chris Paul so bad...  I even wrote a letter to the Hawks front office pleading with them to consider him lol
I was so angry.  Man, I am SO tired of us screwing up the draft.  Please not again....

I actually had a brief 5 minute talk with BK about a week before that draft. Begged him to take Deron Williams or Chris Paul. He told me to my face that he didn't see any strong point guards in this draft and didn't want to use that high of a pick on either one. I was in shock. I knew then we were doomed. It was GLARINGLY OBVIOUS that Deron and Paul were once in a decade PG prospects.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, KB21 said:

They are really trying to move the #1 pick. I can't say more than what I have but the overall feeling I have talking to Hawks sources, Twolf source and my Klutch source is the Hawks want to walk out of draft night with Risacher and Cllingan.  Even if I'm wrong on reading the tea leaves I've been told by multiple sources I trust the Hawks are really trying hard to move the #1 pick.

• Sad 2