• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I just don’t buy into the idea that Quin wants to go back to the defensive style that was consistently exposed in the playoffs.  

I would tend to agree with you, but the smoke is starting to thicken and my eyes are burning .

8 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

I would tend to agree with you, but the smoke is starting to thicken and my eyes are burning .

Is it really that hard to believe?

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JTB said:

Is it really that hard to believe?

No, it's not.  But, this is where a coach being a dominant figure in personnel moves can be tricky.  If it is true, I'm pretty sure Quin isn't in love with the big picture, but with the idea of what he thinks will help him win now.  Gotta be careful with that.

8 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

No, it's not.  But, this is where a coach being a dominant figure in personnel moves can be tricky.  If it is true, I'm pretty sure Quin isn't in love with the big picture, but with the idea of what he thinks will help him win now.  Gotta be careful with that.

What’s hard to believe is that Quin knows firsthand what the limitations of that style of defense.  He knows he isn’t going to be able to win in the playoffs with that style. 

Wouldn't you guys think that having Clingan AND Okongwu would give Snyder good flexibility to mix and match drop and switching defensive schemes based on the situation and matchup?

2 minutes ago, parfait said:

Wouldn't you guys think that having Clingan AND Okongwu would give Snyder good flexibility to mix and match drop and switching defensive schemes based on the situation and matchup?

Yes, but it will be predictable.  If you have Sarr and Okongwu, you have the flexibility to play any scheme at all times, AND you have the flexibility to play them together.  You can’t play Clingan and Okongwu together.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I just don’t buy into the idea that Quin wants to go back to the defensive style that was consistently exposed in the playoffs.  

The same style as the only center he has started in Atlanta?  Snyder has only started this kind of center both in Utah and Atlanta.

As an aside, I like the GM working with the head coach but the GM should have final say.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, theheroatl said:

I don't believe any of this nonsense.. lol

I highly suspect these are all smokescreens to somehow swindle the Hawks out of the #1 pick and/or Trae. These other teams look at the Hawks as a farm team or a place to dump toxic assets. The Hawks need to take the "win" they got when they were basically gifted a 7'1" kid with a 37 inch vertical that can guard 1 through 5 and who actually wants to play defense. Getting a player like Sarr was a pipedream before the Lottery. I highly doubt Landry is overthinking things as much as the rumors suggest. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Imagine seeing Wemby and Chet come into the league and thinking the best way to combat them is to draft Donovan Clingan.  

Jokic and Embiid exist too...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AHF said:

The same style as the only center he has started in Atlanta?  Snyder has only started this kind of center both in Utah and Atlanta.

As an aside, I like the GM working with the head coach but the GM should have final say.

He didn’t play just drop with Clint.  

49 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Jokic and Embiid exist too...

So let’s move away from the modern way of playing and go back to the old shitty style of the 90s.  

• Premium Member

In his latest mock draft, Vecenie has the Hawks taking Sarr.  He also says that Risacher and Clingan are also seen as candidates around the league.

26 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

In his latest mock draft, Vecenie has the Hawks taking Sarr.  He also says that Risacher and Clingan are also seen as candidates around the league.

He has Clingan going 7th to Portland.  That brings me to something I was thinking about this AM.  Passing on Sarr for Clingan will be like passing on JJJ for Ayton.