• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

15 hours ago, KB21 said:

I just don’t buy into the idea that Quin wants to go back to the defensive style that was consistently exposed in the playoffs.  

He probably doesn't, but we may be forced to with Trae , or some version of that hopefully we can get a combination of something going that works better, getting someone like herb would go to help that. 

28 minutes ago, AHF said:

Also bear in mind that the Dallas defense would have been "exposed" if they had played Denver.  Minnesota's defense was what beat Denver.  If Dallas would have been better during the regular season and gotten the #3 seed, we might very well have seen the TWolves beat the Nuggets in the WCF and been having a different discussion right now about what "works" in the playoffs because what works in one matchup does not necessarily work in another matchup.

Doubt it.  Dallas can be more flexible on defense than Minnesota can be.  

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Doubt it.  Dallas can be more flexible on defense than Minnesota can be.  

Denver won the season series with an average score of Denver 120 to Dallas 108.  Dallas was lucky to avoid them and get the inexperienced OKC and Minny who they match up well against.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

If he was 6'9" 23 years old i'd get the reluctance but this at 7'1" and 19?  What are we thinking here.  

Don't be fooled, the Hawks front office and rival NBA execs all know who the #1 pick is. All of the rumors are just smoke. Sarr ticks too many boxes for the Hawks to pass up on him. The smoke and rumors surrounding the Hawks have gotten so far out hand, I don't even get emotionally invested anymore. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, hawkman said:

I'm still trying to understand the "he's raw offensively" narrative. Who else is doing this at 7'1"? Maybe Giannis at 6'11"? If Clint can average 10-12ppg why can't Sarr???

It's so dumb.  This dude is a superhuman and we are going to pass on him for some lane clogging, non-shooting, non athletic player.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
Just now, AtLaS said:

It's so dumb.  This dude is a superhuman and we are going to pass on him for some lane clogging, non-shooting, non athletic player.

I'm not buying it. I think Draft night will pretty much go as originally projected with the Hawks drafting Sarr and then scrambling to make a deal to get someone else they like in the first or second round. I'm not a scout by any means, but there's a reason Sarr was the consensus #1 prospect before the Hawks won the Lottery. There's been nothing but smoke and crazy rumors since the Hawks got the #1 pick. 

• Like 3

It’s been a while since I’ve commented in this thread…but I don’t think Sarr should be the pick anymore. Right now I’m leaning towards Risacher or Clingan. Watching more of Sarr’s tape, I think he’s clearly a power forward (which is fine). But we have Jalen who is a 4 right now. I don’t know how well Sarr can handle the center the position considering he isn’t great with catching passes and is bad at the rim. Right now he seems like a shot blocking 4 which would be good for this team.

The problem is that do we have the roster for that? Can Jalen play the three full time (right now I don’t think he can with his limited experience, he just started full time at the 4 last season). It creates way too many problems.

I think Risacher makes a lot of sense because his off-ball movement and shooting would be a huge boon to this team. He plays hard and with a lot of energy which we desperately need from our wings. It also helps that he’s 6’9-6’10. The creation from him is a huge issue and is incredibly concerning BUT I have seen flashes though that make me wonder if there is more to him.

Clingan could honestly be the only one out of the three I can see starting because his rebounding block numbers are so amazing. He would easily be the better center between Sarr and himself. He’s 7’3. He’s a great passer and arguably better than Sarr. Question is that is he just a really big Walker Kessler in the end and do the medicals hold up? 

Right now for me it’s:

1. Clingan

2. Risacher

3.Sarr

The Athletic/NY times

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5528904/2024/06/05/nba-mock-draft-2024-vecenie-alex-sarr/

1. Atlanta Hawks

Alex Sarr | 7-0 big | 19 years old | Perth Wildcats

Since winning the lottery with just a 3-percent chance, the Hawks, according to league sources, are still in the information-gathering process with the top prospects in this class. Atlanta was in the Eastern Conference Play-In tournament and moved up nine spots on lottery night, so it didn’t have quite as much intel on the prospects at the top as teams that knew they would have high selections, like the Wizards below. The Hawks are catching up quick, though, with several front-office members taking a trip to France to see Zaccharie Risacher in a playoff game, in addition to spending hours on the phone gathering information on all of their potential selections.

Because the Hawks are still earlier in their process than many of the other teams at the top of the lottery, this selection is still seen as being fluid. The two most popular names that come up around the league remain Sarr and Risacher, but the Hawks continue to perform due diligence beyond those two. Donovan Clingan is also seen as a potential option at all three of the top selections before his range goes dark for the teams currently slotted at Nos. 4 through No. 6.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1