• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

3 hours ago, deester11 said:

At least you'll work harder.  That's already a win. 😂😂. Watch film of Sarr and tell me he has "virtually nothing" on offense. That's not true at all.  People see what they want though.  Kids got a good foundation to work with. 

What I said is "virtually nothing on offense as a skill."  He can dunk and do some things in transition, and they show the clips of his made 3's but not his misses.  Why does almost every podcast say he is extremely limited on offense?  I watched the film of him fumbling entry passes on the regular.  He actually has a lot of trouble catching a pass. 

I'm trying to see what he actually is.  What I WANTED to see is a no brainer #1 overall talent. So, from my perspective I think people blind to Sarr's flaws are the people that see what they want.  I am trying to see him accurately for what he is without hype and understanding how significant his CURRENT limitations are.  That's not a limitation on what he will be.  

I believe in his potential and said he's the best prospect.  But when people say things like, "If the Hawks don't pick Sarr I'm done as a Hawks fan" I don't think they understand how much development Sarr really needs, or that there are significant questions with something as basic as what position he translates to.

But yes, I saw a bunch of highlight clips.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

What I said is "virtually nothing on offense as a skill."  He can dunk and do some things in transition, and they show the clips of his made 3's but not his misses.  Why does almost every podcast say he is extremely limited on offense?  I watched the film of him fumbling entry passes on the regular.  He actually has a lot of trouble catching a pass. 

I'm trying to see what he actually is.  What I WANTED to see is a no brainer #1 overall talent. So, from my perspective I think people blind to Sarr's flaws are the people that see what they want.  I am trying to see him accurately for what he is without hype and understanding how significant his CURRENT limitations are.  That's not a limitation on what he will be.  

I believe in his potential and said he's the best prospect.  But when people say things like, "If the Hawks don't pick Sarr I'm done as a Hawks fan" I don't think they understand how much development Sarr really needs, or that there are significant questions with something as basic as what position he translates to.

There is no "no-brainer" in this draft. Clingan has questions, Risacher..etc,etc. There is no plug in play in this draft that is going to push a team to elite status. Anyone the Hawks draft is going to need development. You can say Sarr needs more than whomever..the difference is that I see further than just year 1. Clingan has more to deliver..now. I'm betting not in the future. Different strokes.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Yeah I agree on his hands.. I saw him fumble some passes too... 

He definitely has flaws...

This is just a flawed draft overall....:sad:

Edited by terrell

1 minute ago, deester11 said:

There is no "no-brainer" in this draft. Clingan has questions, Risacher..etc,etc. There is no plug in play in this draft that is going to push a team to elite status. Anyone the Hawks draft is going to need development. You can say Sarr needs more than whomever..the difference is that I see further than just year 1. Clingan has more to deliver..now. I'm betting not in the future. Different strokes.  

All that is true.  I don't disagree.  I think with Sarr there is a lot of capacity for him to expand his game, and if you're going to be able to defend early on in your career it's easier to get minutes for development.  The real concern is not that he needs a lot of development, it's that he may not develop into a skilled player.  You're betting on that development to pay off, and worst case scenario he would be a good defender, weak side helper, and able to dunk.  That's why he's the top prospect.  

He's more boom or bust than anyone at the top.  A lot could go right, but a lot could go wrong.  

22 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

All that is true.  I don't disagree.  I think with Sarr there is a lot of capacity for him to expand his game, and if you're going to be able to defend early on in your career it's easier to get minutes for development.  The real concern is not that he needs a lot of development, it's that he may not develop into a skilled player.  You're betting on that development to pay off, and worst case scenario he would be a good defender, weak side helper, and able to dunk.  That's why he's the top prospect.  

He's more boom or bust than anyone at the top.  A lot could go right, but a lot could go wrong.  

He has the basic skill level that Clingan doesn't have and likely never will have.  The on the move passes.  The turnaround jumpers in the paint.  The ability to drive downhill with the ball.  These are all skills that Sarr has shown that Clingan will likely never have because of his size and mobility.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Greeting from 2027.  All the re-drafts are putting Holland at #1. 

😂 I like dude he’s a baller ⛹🏾‍♂️. Some guys just belong. Having said that I said the same about a prospect from Oakland a while back named Jared Cunningham, who had a small stint with us a decade ago. I told my friend he was the next Monta Ellis, another just straight up baller ⛹🏾‍♂️ but not too bright.

Jared Cunningham was like a tweener combo guard though but so was Monta. Anyways, this Holland kid has IT (not brinks 🛻 fake Zeke).

• Like 1

deadspin.com

2024 NBA Mock Draft: Zach Edey Drafted Within Top 15, Alexandre Sarr Stays At No. 1 Overall

NICK GALLE|Published: Thu Jun 13 2024 17:02
1718298060471PHOTO USA Today Sports Images

With the Boston Celtics holding a 3-0 lead over the Dallas Mavericks in the NBA Finals, it won’t be long before all eyes zone in on the draft, which is set for June 26–27.

For the first time ever, the draft will span two days. While no player in this year’s pool is as captivating as 2023 No. 1 overall selection Victor Wembanyama, there’s plenty of talent to go around, especially from Wembanyama’s native country of France.

Here is our latest lottery mock draft, with just over two weeks left until 58 players hear their names called in New York:

1. ATLANTA HAWKS: ALEXANDRE SARR, F/C, FRANCE

Sarr has started to slip to No. 2 in a handful of mock drafts in favor of fellow Frenchman Zaccharie Risacher, but his defense could do wonders for an Atlanta team that has yet to find its identity on that side of the ball.

22 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Greeting from 2027. 

🙋🏻‍♀️ question here. Folks still kinda fckin weird in the future too? :huh: And, what’s up with the c word thing that we don’t type anymore 😷

Couple more ?’s sorry 🤭..

How was the celebration for the Hawks first title in 2026? Was downtown Atlanta just nutsos? 

How are the kiddos? Kg03 driving yet in 2027?

Can people breathe under water.

Did Bronny make it in the NBA? 

I guess that’s it..

Gonzo come back.. :mellow:

• Thanks 1

Would the 🚀 be tryin to run this back with Sengun at the 4 and Clingan at the 5? 

image.gif.62f8b2d8e1558185d6c80bb180ef8d3d.gif

3. HOUSTON ROCKETS: DONOVAN CLINGAN, C, UCONN

Pairing Clingan and Alperen Sengun in the frontcourt someday would give the Rockets a legitimate paint presence while also bolstering their bench, as Jabari Smith Jr. could take on the role of sixth man. 

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

image.png.b61a1d9151014b8c23ae75c2ddc30b57.png

Nothing you've shown about Sarr can't be fixed.  Reps and a good a coaching staff can get him there. If you got faith in Quinn and they select Sarr, I'm betting he makes the majority of people who doubt his ability to improve look bad. And I don't need  him to be Giannis or anyone else. If he gets to his potential, it'll just be Sarr. 

• Like 1

Some folks coming up with all kinds of excuses for Atlanta drafting Clingan.  There is a reason Atlanta was once known as "Losersville U.S.A."   Atlanta RARELY gets the best players like Boston does, Los Angeles does,  New York does, etc.  Not Atlanta.  Its always catering to a fanbase which is NEVER in win with the best player available mode.  Thats why Luka was traded.  It was about marketing and not giving Atlanta the best player.  Clingan would be a continuation of that.  You can make excuses all day long but it is what it is. Boston about to wrap up its 18th world championship and the Hawks fooling around with a Clingan. How the heck is New England and Boston in general a better professional sports city than Atlanta, based in the South with all these great athletes?  The Falcons don't know their way to Athens.  The Hawks? lmao

200w.gif?cid=6c09b95295lbx17kat5bsvupdex

Edited by Hawkmoor

17 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Some folks coming up with all kinds of excuses for Atlanta drafting Clingan.  There is a reason Atlanta was once known as "Losersville U.S.A."   Atlanta RARELY gets the best players like Boston does, Los Angeles does,  New York does, etc.  Not Atlanta.  Its always catering to a fanbase which is NEVER in win with the best player available mode.  Thats why Luka was traded.  It was about marketing and not giving Atlanta the best player.  Clingan would be a continuation of that.  You can make excuses all day long but it is what it is. Boston about to wrap up its 18th world championship and the Hawks fooling around with a Clingan. How the heck is New England and Boston in general a better professional sports city than Atlanta, based in the South with all these great athletes?  The Falcons don't know their way to Athens.  The Hawks? lmao

200w.gif?cid=6c09b95295lbx17kat5bsvupdex

Get out of my head dude.  This franchise for once..other than Trae...smdh. We gonna get a Clydesdale that's pretty.  Plods along.  Nice little gait.  I want a thoroughbred...Sarr. Swing for the fence.   

I have to ask. So Quin was under Bud with us here and we ran, we played a fast tempo style of ball pushing it with Teague, Korver breaking on the wings and coming off screens and 2 smaller stature front court players in Sap and Alice.  3rd round loss to the Cavs.

Then Quin goes to Utah and they have a slower tempo offense to make sure Gobert could get into sets despite Gobert being quick for his 7’2” height. How many Gobert’s have been successful since Gobert? 2nd round max with Don and Gobert.

He comes back here. He has Trae. Trae runs. Trae needs dudes that can run and play D, like junk yard DMC. If Trae has to slow down even a little bit for Clingan, it screws up Trae’s maximum potential of what he can bring to our offense. 

I think we have a blueprint. Since Deke, we haven’t had any really big dudes, and Deke played with Mookie who was actually a great half court style offense player because he could defend the hell out of the ball on the perimeter and Deke had the inside. Since then though we’ve gone small excluding the dumb year with Dwight, but again Dwight is 6’10” and could run the floor some.

Clingan, he would change our entire offense and diminish Trae’s talents. I’m not worried about Trae’s numbers but WE as a team can flourish with him on breaks with quicker big men like..

OO and SARR

If we pick Clingan at 3-7 and trade down we better get a Mikal Bridges or Marcus Smart bonafide STARTER in case the big tree 🌲 (Clingan) experiment 🧪 fails. 

• Like 2