Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm not sure what you mean.  if the Hawks draft him?   I think he'll start the year as a backup 4/5.  I think he could play with JJ and definitely with Clint or OO.  I think he's versatile but i don't see any reason he can't play both positions depending on matchups.  

Not sure i answered the question though. 

Somewhat.  What does him being better than Clingan look like to you?  Also, does drafting Sarr change what we should do with Capela and Okongwu?  

2 minutes ago, terrell said:

The more I look at game film, highlights, combine stuff, etc..., I'm honestly not sold on Anyone for the #1 pick.

Clingan has a way higher floor than Sarr imo, but the way he moves and plays,  scares the hell out of me(injury wise).

His ceiling isn't anywhere close to Sarr, (I gotta agree with @KB21 there), but Sarr just seems to process the game slow as hell at times, and just gets lost out there.  And with the speed of a high level NBA team,(and with the Hawks being in win now mode) that's not good...

Not to mention, You have to be able to process info fast in QS system.(thats why AJ, OO, etc struggled)

Again, Sarr has a higher ceiling, but a huge risk if it doesn't work out...

Giving up so much for Murray has put us in a spot with less margin to make the wrong decision. :sad:

Where we are right now, Sarr is a a big risk. I gotta agree with @NBASupes on that.... 

ON THE OTHER HAND,

Do we have enough margin to make a safe decision?

Let's say Clingan is about as good as current Capela, (which would be a huge win as a rookie), so we dump Capela, and basically just don't improve much after that??

Thats why we may HAVE to take a big swing at #1....

We pissed away most of our assets to make a "big" trade, no star FA is coming,  so it's basically find a Star in the draft or bust.. Smh

So we may HAVE to go with Sarr(or whoever they believe has the highest upside)... 

Either that, or look to move down and take 2 swings at it...

Im so all over the place with this post, I know...lol

Hawks getting the #1 pick, has really screwed things up.. 😀

Just dont fk this up LF....

Honest and real take.  Once I realized Sarr is a huge risk, like you said, it changed my perspective.  I can't even figure out what high ceiling Sarr becomes.  That ceiling to me really depends on his shot developing, which a lot of analysts are not buying.  

Clingan replacing Capela is a draw for me.  What Clingan can do that Capela has regressed on is protecting the rim.  Yes, we'd change our defense to drop coverage, but all the perimeter guys could play more aggressive and know that a true rim protector is behind them.  Teams shot 41% at the rim with Clingan.  Plus if we can unload Capela, which it seems like there is a market for him, that gives us more flexibility to add someone else at his salary slot. 

You move off of Capela and Murray's salary for the right players to add to a pretty solid starting core with Clingan/Okongwu at the 5.  

But I agree it gets tricky if we can't find a deal to trade out of #1 overall.  That's when you have to start thinking about Sarr.  A lot just depends on the trades we can make with Capela, Murray, Hunter, and #1. 

• Like 1

Is Sarr really that much better than Clingan? He shoots badly from three, he’s a bad finisher at the rim. Yes he’s a good passer but it’s not like he’s some amazing playmaker or anything. Pretty sure he has more turnovers than assists. A lot of Sarr’s appeal comes with the idea that his shooting will come which we honestly don’t know. And it’s not like he’s gonna be shooting that many midrange or threes on the floor anyway when Trae and Jalen are on the team. I just don’t see the fit on offense. 

Clingan has conditioning concerns with his weight and the foot injury he has in college but I do think he has shown commitment to conditioning and even admitted that he wants to get better on that. Idk if he will ever adapt an outside shot though but I do know Quin will make him try one three eventually when he starts. Clingan is also a better rim deterrent and shot blocker than Sarr which would be huge for this team with how terrible the defense was. So I would be happy with Clingan as the pick.

12 minutes ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

Is Sarr really that much better than Clingan? He shoots badly from three, he’s a bad finisher at the rim. Yes he’s a good passer but it’s not like he’s some amazing playmaker or anything. Pretty sure he has more turnovers than assists. A lot of Sarr’s appeal comes with the idea that his shooting will come which we honestly don’t know. And it’s not like he’s gonna be shooting that many midrange or threes on the floor anyway when Trae and Jalen are on the team. I just don’t see the fit on offense. 

Clingan has conditioning concerns with his weight and the foot injury he has in college but I do think he has shown commitment to conditioning and even admitted that he wants to get better on that. Idk if he will ever adapt an outside shot though but I do know Quin will make him try one three eventually when he starts. Clingan is also a better rim deterrent and shot blocker than Sarr which would be huge for this team with how terrible the defense was. So I would be happy with Clingan as the pick.

Clingan is a 5 only.  He will never be able to guard 1-5 the way Sarr can.  In a league where creating space is becoming more and more important offensively, the ability to take away that space becomes more and more important.  Clingan is simply never going to be an in space defender.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I don't think Sarr is a big risk but if he is then i think you have to go Risacher.  At least he'll be a good shooter with excellent size. 

At this point, I honestly think we draft Risacher and use him as trade bait with the Spurs.  They’ll draft Clingan, (if he’s there) and whoever else we want at 8, and we’ll trade them Risacher.  If Clingan and our preferred wing aren’t there at 4 and 8, they like Risacher enough to keep him. :sad:

Edited by terrell
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

He shot 30% from 3, which is better than some lottery-bound guards. He also shot over 70% from FT, so improving his in-game shot isn’t an unlikely scenario. 
What Sarr does that Clingan doesn’t, though, is serious defending in space against guards and wings. We need perimeter defense and he does that. He can also get back quickly to defend in the paint. He’s not as solid of a paint defender as Clingan, but he also doesn’t have to be camped out in the paint to be a good defender. With his length, I think he’d pair well with OO as a help defender against bigger dudes. 
And he’s fast. Fast breaks galore on offense, or getting back on defense against opponents’ fast breaks. Plus he can dribble, leading some breaks himself. 
Not to mention I haven’t heard any serious health or injury concerns about him like there has been with Clingan. On that note, as far as big bigs go, Edey has been a serious iron man.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Marvin24Williams said:

Clingan being in contention for the #1 pick just shows how lacking this class is in terms of generational talent.

Nah.  It shows how bad this franchise is ran.  Its bad enough you trade away Luka Doncic at 3 and trade down and pick up Cam Reddish with Trae.  Now you want to trade out of the 1st pick of the draft and get Clingan ( who makes this team no better than Clint Capela), and garbage?  Trae is a good player so they got something out of that deal but if you trade the 1st pick, Clingan better be the second coming of Hakeem Olajuwon because Alexander Sarr is legit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If all this clingan talk is a smokescreen to either get teams to trade or because we actually like sarr, id say it's working well 😂 let the narrative tell it we hate Sarr and his French basketballings 

Edited by hylndr11
  • Like 1

At this point I’m fully onboard with Clingan

51 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

I think Ken is extremely reputable. I would think he would post this only if he thought there was a big chance it will be Clingan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hylndr11 said:

If all this clingan talk is a smokescreen to either get teams to trade or because we actually like sarr, id say it's working well 😂 let the narrative tell it we hate Sarr and his French basketballings 

I think it’s Clingan. I’m good with it.

we need defense

30 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I think it’s Clingan. I’m good with it.

we need defense

Could Clingan play in a series vs the Celtics? 

• Like 1